Onboard the American Jazz right now if you have a question

vslparis

40 minutes ago, 2beagles mom said:

Thanks so much. The information is very helpful. I do wish the tour groups were smaller. 

It depends on the tour . A tour that I did in Natchez only had 10 people on it. We had 3 ACL buses that travelled along  with us and those buses held about 40, maybe 50 people so they were half full. In some places where we had a local gide taking us thru a plantation, that group was smaller.

2 minutes ago, vslparis said:

It depends on the tour . A tour that I did in Natchez only had 10 people on it. We had 3 ACL buses that travelled along  with us and those buses held about 40, maybe 50 people so they were half full. In some places where we had a local gide taking us thru a plantation, that group was smaller.

Good to know. Thanks. 

18 hours ago, Texasramblinreck said:

We are on the Jazz July 10 out of Nashville.  Our first time on River Boat cruise, have been on 16 ocean cruises.  Stayed at Opryland hotel before, it’s really nice.  This cruise was supposed to include tickets to Grand Ole Opry, but I haven’t hear anything about it.  The Jazz is only a few months old, so everything will still be like new.  I wonder what kind of entertainment we will have.  Looks like someone posted a daily guide, but was hard to read.

This entertainer also gave lectures everyday that related to our stops such Introduction to the Mississippi River, the Great Flood of 1927, the Wreck of the Sultana. There was also trivia.

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the great information and the pictures.  Also you list of things to know will be a great help. We sail on the Constellation in June for the Juneau to Juneau Alaskan cruise.

• Like 1

For entertainment, we also had a trio that was on board one night that did music from the 50’s and 60’s , the resident entertainer did a salute to Elvis, and music from the Civil War area on two different nights. 

There is a band tonight that is doing Memphis Rock-a-billy music.

Overall, the entertainment and staff were very good ( a bit more training is needed in the the dining room though), the excursions were interesting and most of the time you could do two included tours each day if you wished. 

Wearing a mask was not much of an issue and there were plenty of occasions where you could take them off , such as sitting out on the back deck, or having a drink in the lounge. Everyone was very respectful about that I felt.  The staff is always wearing a mask . 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DarthCruiser said:

Hi Sue,

We'll be anxious to hear how you like cruising on ACL.  We're booked on a Grand New England Cruise in August.  We're having to branch out a bit to get back on the water.  🙂

Mike & Steve

I am branching out too...My cruise is on the Star - New England Islands 2023 - I lived in Stamford, CT for many years, but have not been to any of the  ports on the itinerary. So this is perfect and I "had" to book since there are only 2 solo cabins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vslparis said:

This entertainer also gave lectures everyday that related to our stops such Introduction to the Mississippi River, the Great Flood of 1927, the Wreck of the Sultana. There was also trivia.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us....the menus and photos are awesome. I can't wait until I cruise with ACL

Thanks to everyone for sharing this helpful information. I will be doing the Music Cruise in September along with ten friends from high school, class of 1958. Oldies but goodies. We have all cruised before, Princess, Oceania, etc but for some this is the first US river adventure. I’m curious about the tipping of the crew. Somewhere in the literature I read tipping was not expected. Is this true? I would like to recognize them if it is appropriate. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sfbear said:

Thanks to everyone for sharing this helpful information. I will be doing the Music Cruise in September along with ten friends from high school, class of 1958. Oldies but goodies. We have all cruised before, Princess, Oceania, etc but for some this is the first US river adventure. I’m curious about the tipping of the crew. Somewhere in the literature I read tipping was not expected. Is this true? I would like to recognize them if it is appropriate. 

Sounds like an awesome trip with high school friends. Enjoy
IMO - As for tips, I agree with you. I think it may not be mandatory, but it certainly would be the thing to do. 

Edited by cruisingherrons

2 hours ago, sfbear said:

sfbear, 

We have been on a number of river cruises with ACL.  While, as stated in their information to guests, "tipping not required/expected", we have found the level of service well worth a "gratuity", and they seem to have been greatly appreciated.

NRayH

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ray in NH said:

sfbear, 

We have been on a number of river cruises with ACL.  While, as stated in their information to guests, "tipping not required/expected", we have found the level of service well worth a "gratuity", and they seem to have been greatly appreciated.

NRayH

Hi Ray in NH - I see you have been on many ACL cruises and I was wondering if you thought a solo cruiser would find it enjoyable. I have done many solo ocean cruises since my husband passed away and have never been uncomfortable, but this will be a much smaller group. The itineraries are too perfect to pass up so I am just asking your opinions (out of curiosity).

Thanks for your input! 

I would also welcome input from any solo cruisers about their past experiences

Donna

Edited by cruisingherrons

19 hours ago, cruisingherrons said:

Hi Ray in NH - I see you have been on many ACL cruises and I was wondering if you thought a solo cruiser would find it enjoyable. I have done many solo ocean cruises since my husband passed away and have never been uncomfortable, but this will be a much smaller group. The itineraries are too perfect to pass up so I am just asking your opinions (out of curiosity).

Thanks for your input! 

I would also welcome input from any solo cruisers about their past experiences

Donna

Hi Donna,

Not sure how much information I have to share (good or less so) about solo cruisers on ACL.  We have met some, and they seemed to be enjoying themselves.  Of course, we haven't ever asked why they were cruising solo.  In our opinion, it is difficult not to enjoy a "quiet-ish" cruise with enjoyable itineraries and a comfortable ship.  ACL seems to have a good idea as to what their passengers are looking for, and then providing that type of cruise.  I think the smaller passenger contingent makes it easier to get an overall view of your fellow passengers.  We personally feel that many folks are looking for the "more-homely" atmosphere of a smaller passenger list size, but that is just our assumption. Thankfully there are other options for those who feel differently.

Hopefully, this is of some help/comfort to your decision  making.  Please let us know how it works out -- for you.

NRayH

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray in NH said:

Hi Donna,

Not sure how much information I have to share (good or less so) about solo cruisers on ACL.  We have met some, and they seemed to be enjoying themselves.  Of course, we haven't ever asked why they were cruising solo.  In our opinion, it is difficult not to enjoy a "quiet-ish" cruise with enjoyable itineraries and a comfortable ship.  ACL seems to have a good idea as to what their passengers are looking for, and then providing that type of cruise.  I think the smaller passenger contingent makes it easier to get an overall view of your fellow passengers.  We personally feel that many folks are looking for the "more-homely" atmosphere of a smaller passenger list size, but that is just our assumption. Thankfully there are other options for those who feel differently.

Hopefully, this is of some help/comfort to your decision  making.  Please let us know how it works out -- for you.

NRayH

Hi NRayH - Thanks for your input. I was just curious as to the atmosphere on board. I don't cruise in hopes of finding a "mate". But I am always worried about being "a third wheel". I am looking forward to my new adventure. Thanks again.

Was a pre-boarding COVID-19 test required?  Their web site (https://www.americancruiselines.com/account/covid-19-operating-protocol )

says,

"..But at a minimum will include the requirement for a negative COVID-19 test result. "

and

"Fully vaccinated guests are not required to obtain a COVID-19 test prior to travelling to the ship and will be asked to present proof of the vaccine ..."

???????????????????????????

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 9:45 AM, vslparis said:

We are sailing with 100 ( out of 190 ) passengers. On line, the itinerary shows us stopping in St Francisville for Rosedown Plantation. We are not stopping in St Francisville, but can do the Plantation in the afternoon. There is time in the morning to do other excursions . Doing this gives us a day in Memphis before disembarkation day . There is an included city tour there or several optional paid excursions available.

We did stay at the Intercontinental which was nice ; worked well for us as I wanted to take the St Charles Ave Trolley to the Garden District . The trolley stops on the corner across the street .

Bags need to be ready for pick up in your room by 7am , Breakfast from 8-10 , mandatory Covid screening and testing from 8-11 am ( but don't wait that long assigned  transfers start at 11am.  For that you hand in the paperwork given at check in, wait until they call your name, go into the room where you get the test. Sit and wait with others for about 10 minutes , get your result and leave to either go the beeakfast or wait until your transfer time. Easy ! 

Was the hotel near the French quarter ? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, vino100 said:

Was the hotel near the French quarter ? 

Not really. It was probably about a 15-  20 minute walk.  The St Charles Avenue trolley was right outside the hotel but that goes to the Garden District, not the French Quarter. There is the Riverfront trolley, but a taxi is not expensive if you don't want the walk. Take a taxi if you are going at night.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, frickwg said:

Was a pre-boarding COVID-19 test required?  Their web site (https://www.americancruiselines.com/account/covid-19-operating-protocol )

says,

"..But at a minimum will include the requirement for a negative COVID-19 test result. "

and

"Fully vaccinated guests are not required to obtain a COVID-19 test prior to travelling to the ship and will be asked to present proof of the vaccine ..."

???????????????????????????

There is a test at the pre cruise hotel ,but not before leaving home  if you are fully vaccinated. It took about 15 minutes of our time and we did it before breakfast at the hotel. Very easy and uncomplicated. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2021 at 9:58 PM, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We got out E-docs yesterday. Do you have the pre-cruise hotel included? We do and it shows the Grand Ole Opry show on the night before the cruise. Really looking forward to a new and different experience.  

I contacted ACL and they said Grand Ole Opry tickets were to be included with hotel package.

Anyone out there completed a cruise on American Jazz recently and can tell us about your experiences?  After CDC lifted mask requirements for vaccinated, I’m curious to hear of recent cruises and has the number of passengers increased 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 12:22 PM, DarthCruiser said:

Hi Sue,

We'll be anxious to hear how you like cruising on ACL.  We're booked on a Grand New England Cruise in August.  We're having to branch out a bit to get back on the water.  🙂

Mike & Steve

We're doing that on August 23.  Will you be onboard?

Maggie & Armando

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Magev109 said:

We're doing that on August 23.  Will you be onboard?

Maggie & Armando

This year?? I can't wait to hear all about your adventure. I am doing the New England Island itinerary, but not until August 2023. Please share any/all your impressions. This will be my first ACL cruise and I can't wait.  I tried to start a board for that cruise, but it's early. 
Thanks
Donna

Many thanks to vslparis for taking the time to post lots of information regarding cruising on American Jazz.
My question is about luggage storage. The ACL FAQ says luggage less than 10 inches high will fit under the bed. All of my travel luggage is higher than 10 inches. Does a Jazz AAC have this under-bed storage limitation? Is there anywhere else in the room to store larger luggage?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BillHana said:

Many thanks to vslparis for taking the time to post lots of information regarding cruising on American Jazz.
My question is about luggage storage. The ACL FAQ says luggage less than 10 inches high will fit under the bed. All of my travel luggage is higher than 10 inches. Does a Jazz AAC have this under-bed storage limitation? Is there anywhere else in the room to store larger luggage?

Don't know the answer to the question you actually asked, but I have seen people suggest on other forums: open the case and slide it under the bed. Then it will also be easier to access anything you didn't want to unpack.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2021 at 6:00 PM, BillHana said:

Our 21 inch carryon  luggage is about 9 inches in depth and it just about fit under the bed.  There is a closet ( no door ) in the AAC where you could put 1 larger suitcase.  I think the more practical would be as @TouchstoneFeste suggested , and open the suitcase to slide it under the bed.