Onboard the American Jazz right now if you have a question

vslparis

On 5/9/2021 at 11:26 AM, cruisingherrons said:

Hi Ray in NH - I see you have been on many ACL cruises and I was wondering if you thought a solo cruiser would find it enjoyable. I have done many solo ocean cruises since my husband passed away and have never been uncomfortable, but this will be a much smaller group. The itineraries are too perfect to pass up so I am just asking your opinions (out of curiosity).

Thanks for your input! 

I would also welcome input from any solo cruisers about their past experiences

Donna

Hi Donna, I just returned from my first ACL cruise, and there were many women traveling together with a friend, at least 8 or 9 of these friendship twosomes, many of them were widowed.  They were very accepting of the solo cruisers and included them by inviting them to dinner tables, on tours, etc.  I think the smaller size will make it even more comfortable than on the larger ships.  Cindy

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MesaJandC said:

Hi Donna, I just returned from my first ACL cruise, and there were many women traveling together with a friend, at least 8 or 9 of these friendship twosomes, many of them were widowed.  They were very accepting of the solo cruisers and included them by inviting them to dinner tables, on tours, etc.  I think the smaller size will make it even more comfortable than on the larger ships.  Cindy

Hi Cindy - Welcome back from your cruise....how was it?
Thanks for the input on going solo and being welcomed by other cruisers. Can you give me an idea as to dress codes for the main dining room? I wear jeans during the day but change into black slacks or leggings along with a "dressy" top. Would that be an acceptable outfit? 
Thanks for your prompt response along with any/all suggestions you might find helpful.
Donna

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 4:29 PM, vslparis said:

The bar is open from 5:30 to 7:00 pm with hors d’ouvres such as shrimp ,lobster claw meat, assorted cheeses, nuts, mini quiche, local sausage . Not all at the same time, just wanted to give you an idea of some of the things. 

The bar is open again from 8:00 to around 9:30 pm a little before the show starts.

There is no opportunity to charge drinks at any other time. 

That seems odd. So no opportunity to order drinks after 9:30?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

That seems odd. So no opportunity to order drinks after 9:30?

This is different than has been our past ACL cruise experiences (admittedly "pre-Covid").  We have experienced the bar remaining open during the evening show, lecture/presentation, and often times even a bit longer, as long as there was a  level of activity in the lounge -- perhaps that is influenced by different Cruise/Activities personnel?

Or perhaps something else, resultant of Covid restrictions??  We will see what happens when we next sail with ACL in September.

NRayH

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Ray in NH said:

This is different than has been our past ACL cruise experiences (admittedly "pre-Covid").  We have experienced the bar remaining open during the evening show, lecture/presentation, and often times even a bit longer, as long as there was a  level of activity in the lounge -- perhaps that is influenced by different Cruise/Activities personnel?

Or perhaps something else, resultant of Covid restrictions??  We will see what happens when we next sail with ACL in September.

NRayH

I may have previously asked you this question and have forgotten.  

So basically when ever the bar is open, the drinks are included?  There is no need or opportunity to buy drinks at different times?

Thank you.

18 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I may have previously asked you this question and have forgotten.  

So basically when ever the bar is open, the drinks are included?  There is no need or opportunity to buy drinks at different times?

Thank you.

Jagoffee,

That has been our experience -- have not experienced any "extremely dry periods".  Also, we had not felt a "need to", but have seen a number of folks requesting a bottle of wine to take back to their cabin (or elsewhere) when leaving the dining room after dinner.  Also you may bring aboard whatever "legal" beverages with you -- no "beverage checks" when boarding.

Hope this has not changed since Covid??

NRayH

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Ray in NH said:

Jagoffee,

That has been our experience -- have not experienced any "extremely dry periods".  Also, we had not felt a "need to", but have seen a number of folks requesting a bottle of wine to take back to their cabin (or elsewhere) when leaving the dining room after dinner.  Also you may bring aboard whatever "legal" beverages with you -- no "beverage checks" when boarding.

Hope this has not changed since Covid??

NRayH

Great to hear.  Thank you for the feedback.