Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

2 hours ago, Harrietq said:

Hooray!
As of  yesterday per visit Malta dot com, 38 US states are moved to the “amber” list. Here’s the abbreviated info; please check the website for full info. My humble opinion and hope that the 12 outlier states will be included soon.

In addition, with effect from Thursday, 1st July 2021,  passengers arriving from EU countries on the 'Amber List', who are in possession of a vaccination certificate, and a vaccine recognised and approved by the Superintendent of Public Health may travel to the Maltese Islands, namely, (a. ) Pfizer-BioNTech, (b. ) Moderna, (c. ) AstraZeneca, and (d. ) Johnson & Johnson, can travel to and from Malta without the need of a negative COVID-19 PCR Swab Test.

Passengers arriving from non-EU countries on the 'Amber List' below are required to submit a negative COVID-19 PCR test certificate before boarding flights to Malta. This swab test would need to have been carried out up to 72 hours (maximum) prior to arrival in Malta. If a negative PCR test is not presented, a swab test on arrival or a 14-day quarantine period is mandatory on arrival.

• United States of America but only limited to the following states: Washington, Oregon, Louisiana, Arizona, West Virginia, Colorado, North Dakota, Indiana, Georgia, Texas, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Tennessee, Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio, South Carolina, New Mexico, Florida, Virginia, Maine, South Dakota, Michigan, Illinois, Delaware, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, New Jersey, Minnesota, Connecticut, Alaska, New Hampshire, Maryland, New York, Rhode Island, District of Columbia, Massachusetts, Vermont, California.

Thanks for this alert. I’m hopeful that by the time our cruise sails (Sept. 12), Malta will recognize U.S. vaccinations. The EU claims they are trying to make their digital certificate available to U.S. travelers. I don’t know why Malta can’t recognize CDC cards, just as Iceland does.

Update on the spa issue: i had an online chat with Viking.  They know of no systems issues that caused spa reservations to disappear across multiple ships and cruises.  She asked me if I could book new reservations, which I did - same service, same date, but different time (the original time is not showing as available).  She thought that perhaps they need to make "adjustments": ie, spa is closed in the middle of the day.  But (a) why would this affect multiple ships and (b) why would they not notify the customers.

13 minutes ago, Jchivers said:

Update on the spa issue: i had an online chat with Viking.  They know of no systems issues that caused spa reservations to disappear across multiple ships and cruises.  She asked me if I could book new reservations, which I did - same service, same date, but different time (the original time is not showing as available).  She thought that perhaps they need to make "adjustments": ie, spa is closed in the middle of the day.  But (a) why would this affect multiple ships and (b) why would they not notify the customers.

Can't book new SPA reservations as every day fully booked Iceland & Malta cruises on my MVJ
The rationale from viking chat is baloney.

12 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Can't book new SPA reservations as every day fully booked Iceland & Malta cruises on my MVJ
The rationale from viking chat is baloney.

Given the cluster**** that occurred on the day that shore excursions became available, I fully believe that their system has gone pear-shaped again.  The reservations are still there -- which is why there are no slots showing as available -- but they're no longer visible on our calendars.  They just need to fix that, to restore the rezzies.

2 hours ago, Jchivers said:

Given the cluster**** that occurred on the day that shore excursions became available, I fully believe that their system has gone pear-shaped again.  The reservations are still there -- which is why there are no slots showing as available -- but they're no longer visible on our calendars.  They just need to fix that, to restore the rezzies.

Have you checked in the last little bit?  My friend just checked hers, and it's back on the calendar.

1 hour ago, sarch99 said:

Anyone on the upcoming Malta cruises from one of the US States not included on Malta's Amber List? Curious what you've heard from Viking if you are.

Hi Sarch99, We are from Nevada and that is not included on Malta's Amber list.  I booked the Aug 3 cruise. I asked again yesterday and all they will say is that they would rebook on a later date.  Any ideas what the criteria is for USA acceptance on Malta's amber list?  Why 38 states and not just the USA??

On 6/17/2021 at 10:01 AM, Harrietq said:

Hooray!
As of  yesterday per visit Malta dot com, 38 US states are moved to the “amber” list. Here’s the abbreviated info; please check the website for full info. My humble opinion and hope that the 12 outlier states will be included soon.

In addition, with effect from Thursday, 1st July 2021,  passengers arriving from EU countries on the 'Amber List', who are in possession of a vaccination certificate, and a vaccine recognised and approved by the Superintendent of Public Health may travel to the Maltese Islands, namely, (a. ) Pfizer-BioNTech, (b. ) Moderna, (c. ) AstraZeneca, and (d. ) Johnson & Johnson, can travel to and from Malta without the need of a negative COVID-19 PCR Swab Test.

Passengers arriving from non-EU countries on the 'Amber List' below are required to submit a negative COVID-19 PCR test certificate before boarding flights to Malta. This swab test would need to have been carried out up to 72 hours (maximum) prior to arrival in Malta. If a negative PCR test is not presented, a swab test on arrival or a 14-day quarantine period is mandatory on arrival.

• United States of America but only limited to the following states: Washington, Oregon, Louisiana, Arizona, West Virginia, Colorado, North Dakota, Indiana, Georgia, Texas, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Tennessee, Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio, South Carolina, New Mexico, Florida, Virginia, Maine, South Dakota, Michigan, Illinois, Delaware, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, New Jersey, Minnesota, Connecticut, Alaska, New Hampshire, Maryland, New York, Rhode Island, District of Columbia, Massachusetts, Vermont, California.

I sincerely hope they open to the other 12  We are from Nevada and have booked the Aug 3 trip to Malta and just am working with Viking Air Plus on the flights (nightmare).   Just would like to know what criteria Malta used in selecting those 38 states???

7 minutes ago, INTravels said:

Hi Sarch99, We are from Nevada and that is not included on Malta's Amber list.  I booked the Aug 3 cruise. I asked again yesterday and all they will say is that they would rebook on a later date.  Any ideas what the criteria is for USA acceptance on Malta's amber list?  Why 38 states and not just the USA??

I'm sorry you're not on the list but glad I'm not alone in this mess.  We're supposed to be going 7/11, and Viking hasn't canceled us yet.  I've heard nothing from either Viking or Malta as to why the states weren't accepted.  One Viking rep pretty much told me tough luck - I hope you have travel insurance, and another told me if Viking can't provide the trip it sold my money would be refunded.  We shall see what happens in the next few days.

Disturbing news on the Venus, Malta/Adriatic cruise for Sept. 22, 2021. “Blackbelt” just posted on the roll call that that cruise is now doing Malta/Greece instead of the Adriatic. We are on the Venus Sept. 12 Malta/Adriatic cruise. Yikes! Musical chairs on these cruises is becoming a circus! If I recall July 1 Malta/Adriatic cruise was cancelled. What now, Viking?

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Disturbing news on the Venus, Malta/Adriatic cruise for Sept. 22, 2021. “Blackbelt” just posted on the roll call that that cruise is now doing Malta/Greece instead of the Adriatic. We are on the Venus Sept. 12 Malta/Adriatic cruise. Yikes! Musical chairs on these cruises is becoming a circus! If I recall July 1 Malta/Adriatic cruise was cancelled. What now, Viking?

I just looked this morning and the Venus 8/13 & 9/2 Sailings had been changed from the Italy ports to Greece itinerary. 

5 minutes ago, rudychance said:

I just looked this morning and the Venus 8/13 & 9/2 Sailings had been changed from the Italy ports to Greece itinerary. 

Very weird. I feel sorry for people who booked these hoping for a different experience! And I hope I don’t have to feel sorry for myself soon!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Very weird. I feel sorry for people who booked these hoping for a different experience! And I hope I don’t have to feel sorry for myself soon!

Now they're showing sold out - almost all categories were available a few hours ago 🙄

55 minutes ago, rudychance said:

So glad we cancelled the August 13th Adriatic Jewels cruise. There were too many unknowns and kept getting the "trust us" from Viking. Now this. I hope Viking is respectful enough of their customers that don't want to do Greece. 

11 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

So glad we cancelled the August 13th Adriatic Jewels cruise. There were too many unknowns and kept getting the "trust us" from Viking. Now this. I hope Viking is respectful enough of their customers that don't want to do Greece. 

Yes, I  certainly understand.   Now, the Venus  on 8/13/21 and 9/2/21 is completely open for Greek Isles itinerary as was posted earlier today.   ?!?

We are booked on the July 14th Malta sailing of the Venus.  The Venus has been sailing in the British Isles for the past month so I was interested to read the article about life onboard during these first cruises.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-a/news/6224/

I assume that the protocols in Malta will be similar.  I am not sure how these will scale as the ship increases its passenger load, but they seem to have worked well with ⅓ of the capacity.  Viking told us that our cruise is 80% full - I am skeptical about that number.  For those booked on cruises after the 14th, we'll try to keep you posted about our experiences both onboard and traveling.

kw

• Thanks 1

We are booked on the 8/23 Malta Adriatic cruise and anxiously awaiting info from Viking Air. Restaurant reservations booked, spa reservations booked, and excursions booked. Fingers crossed this cruise is a go...does anyone know if you get terrible times from Viking Air, are you able to change the deportation airport? We are an hour from Greenville, SC, our closest airport, but could easily drive the 2 1/2 hours to Atlanta or Charlotte.

2 hours ago, CLBSC said:

We are booked on the 8/23 Malta Adriatic cruise and anxiously awaiting info from Viking Air. Restaurant reservations booked, spa reservations booked, and excursions booked. Fingers crossed this cruise is a go...does anyone know if you get terrible times from Viking Air, are you able to change the deportation airport? We are an hour from Greenville, SC, our closest airport, but could easily drive the 2 1/2 hours to Atlanta or Charlotte.

Not sure there is that much choice. The last leg into Malta puts a lot of limitations on what is available from where, as does leaving Malta. As an example, when we booked our Aug 13th trip we used Air Plus. They told us we'd have to wait to book our air to see if any flights were added for Malta. They had no way to fly back home from Malta to Atlanta because all the originating flights were at 6:30 AM and Viking said they would not book us on a flight that left sooner than 9 AM. Maybe things are better than a year ago but, that was our experience. 

2 hours ago, CLBSC said:

does anyone know if you get terrible times from Viking Air, are you able to change the deportation airport?

If you get flights you really hate, call Viking Air and ask to change.  If that doesn’t work, you can pay the $50/person for Viking Air Plus and they will work to meet your desires. You can ask for specific routings and the will honor them if they price out within their contracted prices with the various airlines.  If there is a smell up charge to get the flights you want they will usually let you pay the difference.

I have found them to be very helpful.

Be aware however that they are very busy right now.

Tom

3 minutes ago, Tom.in.nc said:

If you get flights you really hate, call Viking Air and ask to change.  If that doesn’t work, you can pay the $50/person for Viking Air Plus and they will work to meet your desires. You can ask for specific routings and the will honor them if they price out within their contracted prices with the various airlines.  If there is a smell up charge to get the flights you want they will usually let you pay the difference.

I have found them to be very helpful.

Be aware however that they are very busy right now.

Tom

I was told yesterday that you cannot do Air+ or even book your own flights. I was looking at Aug 13 (now Greece itinerary). That was actually a deal breaker for me because we wanted to book our own air. 

2 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Not sure there is that much choice. The last leg into Malta puts a lot of limitations on what is available from where, as does leaving Malta. As an example, when we booked our Aug 13th trip we used Air Plus. They told us we'd have to wait to book our air to see if any flights were added for Malta. They had no way to fly back home from Malta to Atlanta because all the originating flights were at 6:30 AM and Viking said they would not book us on a flight that left sooner than 9 AM. Maybe things are better than a year ago but, that was our experience. 

There are a couple of BA flights from Heathrow and Viking uses BA.  

There is a 7:15 flight from MLA  to LHR that I’m on early August.

My invoice from Viking says:

Message for Embarkation/Disembarkation
Due to the cruise schedule for this itinerary there are limitations on flight times. If you are arranging your own flights, please be aware of the restrictions below and ensure the criteria is met.
Departure:
Departure flights out of Malta, Malta (MLA) must depart no earlier than 7:00 AM on the day of August 3, 2021.

Tom