NCL and B2B'S

mpdog42

Just curious how NCL handles b2bers on turn around day, I have done b2b on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Everything from sparkling wine and a group photo to a private lunch after you went through customs....How has NCL conducted this in the past??  Thanks!

It very much depends on where you are.

We have done B2Bs in Europe and they are really very similar to a normal port day. You have a sticker to get on or off the ship without going through checkin. You can just stay onboard if you want.

In the US they need to clear the ship. I’ve not done one there, but I understand that they move you into a holding area if you don’t want to go out for the day. I’ve not heard of champagne, photos or lunch.

Basically, there is no correct answer because it depends on circumstances. The aim seems to be to make it as quick

and fuss free as possible for the passengers (and staff).

• Like 1

I've sailed B2B at several USA ports. I would highly recommend that you DO NOT stay on the ship. USA customs must confirm the ship is empty, this has taken from 45 minutes to 2 1/2 hours (in Miami that meant outside in the blazing sun, in LA inside the stuffy port both without chairs)

I have done several B2B on Norweigian and have never been made to leave the ship.  We are asked to meet at a certain location on the ship, are walked over to Customs officers on the ship .  We are then allowed back on the ship.  There was no luncheon or fuss.  We were allowed to get off the ship if you wanted.  

Depending on the turn around time of the B2B - stay on the ship if you can unless you have

a mission - visit - shore excursion - other activity of interest.

In general the B2B is simply staying in the same stateroom or moving to another one.

If staying in the same stateroom - just leave everything where it is at and the cabin attendant

will work around cleaning just as he would any other day of the cruise.

If moving to another stateroom - pack up your belongings and place the provided luggage

tags on the bags and your former cabin attendant will move them to your new cabin.

Personal items take with you briefly until you have access to that new cabin (in most cases

you can visit your new cabin and while the new cabin attendant is cleaning find a place for

storage (high value in safe) - a matter of communicating.

As other posters (above) have noted sometimes you are required to leave the ship to achieve

what is called a "Zero Head Count" only affecting the guests - this happens in controlled

countries (USA customs and immigration) not so much in foreign countries.

That Zero Head Count is done by swiping your key card exiting the ship and then the cruise

line may give you a new key card or use the existing one to re-enter the ship.

9 minutes ago, CruisinNewbie11 said:

I have done several B2B on Norweigian and have never been made to leave the ship.  We are asked to meet at a certain location on the ship, are walked over to Customs officers on the ship .  We are then allowed back on the ship.  There was no luncheon or fuss.  We were allowed to get off the ship if you wanted.  

Technically - you may never leave the ship just a simple matter of swiping the key cards

at a location to be determined - private luncheon none the buffet is open - come and go just

like any other port - with an exception reboarding the ship maybe restricted while the ship

is cleaned and readied for the 2nd leg of the cruise (usually a couple of hours). If staying on

the ship of course it is helpful to stay away from the crew in their cleaning duties.

If you do leave the ship you will not be required to register and all that sort of stuff -

*"BUT"* you will be required to pass thru Security ( No smuggling water or look alike water!) 

As for your onboard accounting (financial affairs) - in most cases the B2B is treated as a single trip.

Best to check that all this is as expected - carry-over of credits etc. no hidden charges.

Elsewhere as posted here in CC if your latitude points status changes substantially

i.e. Gold to Platinum make sure your bennies and perks are established notably

the free laundry -

free dinner at a specialty restaurant -

BST - etc. 

And that fabulous bottle of Lame Duck Champagne (sparkling water)

Do this by checking with the Next Cruise people usually found next to the Shore Excursion desk

(hours - maybe closed during the B2B)

The B2B change-over is handled without a lot of fuss - 

Have questions about it - visit the Guest Services desk during the 1st leg of the B2B 

2 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

In general the B2B is simply staying in the same stateroom or moving to another one.

If staying in the same stateroom - just leave everything where it is at and the cabin attendant

will work around cleaning just as he would any other day of the cruise.

I asked NCL recently.  They said due to Covid protocols, even if you have the same stateroom, you need to pack up everything just like other guests who are disembarking.  They have to have a clear room to clean.   So there is no saving of time/effort if you go back to the same room, still have to pack.

It may change later, but this is the new way now.