New Atlas Ocean Voyages info

keokukjoe

Now reading of only one red and one white.  What’s the champagne brand and other than the two complimentary pours.  Do they offer packages for other wines?  Does anyone know what the complimentary white and red are?  A bit unnerving to read they aren’t truly all inclusive.

2 hours ago, jgnyc said:

Thought you might find this article interesting. Complimentary wine is a single choice of red or white wine in the dining room? Sheesh.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/atlas-world-navigator-cruise-ship-first-look/

It’s a good article, except for the wine menu issue. My husband is pleased with the number of wines offered (6-10) reds. He didn’t look at the whites ( I don’t particularly like wine).  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, joyce Ottawa said:

It’s a good article, except for the wine menu issue. My husband is pleased with the number of wines offered (6-10) reds. He didn’t look at the whites ( I don’t particularly like wine).  

That's awesome news. Thanks for the correction!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joyce Ottawa said:

Thanks for the update!

11 hours ago, joyce Ottawa said:

After talking with the hotel manager responsible for the restaurant as well, going forward all dinner menus have a “g” on them for gluten free.  Prior to that my favourite waiter would always check with the chef. Sometimes as with the coconut shrimp he made me a special gf recipe. They offer gf bread which does not taste like cardboard , yay!  I’m not celiac so it’s not as serious as it would be for you. I find there are plenty of gf options which are excellent. No complaints about the food !!! ( I didn’t ask about crackers, but the gf cookies are good) 

Hi Joyce, thank you for the gf update, I appreciate it. It’s a great start if the gf bread is even edible, so often it is not. If you get a minute could you ask if they have any gf crackers, it saves us having to drag them half way around the world. Enjoy your cruise!

So… we are not arriving in Egypt today. There is one confirmed case of Covid positive on board, so it seems that Egypt has refused the ship entry. We have turned around and are heading back to Crete.  We sure were hoping this would not happen, but knew it could be a possibility.  We are still free to walk around the ship etc. The pool, gym and spa are closed.  To be continued…

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joyce Ottawa said:

So… we are not arriving in Egypt today. There is one confirmed case of Covid positive on board, so it seems that Egypt has refused the ship entry. We have turned around and are heading back to Crete.  We sure were hoping this would not happen, but knew it could be a possibility.  We are still free to walk around the ship etc. The pool, gym and spa are closed.  To be continued…

I hope the poor person recovers quickly and all of you stay well. This inaugural sailing has certainly had its moments.

The person is asymptomatic and feels fine, but will apparently be debarked to a quarantine in Heraklion.  People who according to the protocols had proximity to the person for more than 20 minutes in a confined area, ( example a bus tour) are also confined to their rooms until more testing is done.  What I’m hearing, (nothing official, )  is that it seems that Egypt didn’t refuse entry but it was felt that it would be easier/clearer  to deal with the Greek covid protocols. Hence the return to Crete. We are waiting for an official update later today. 

Atlas is stepping up. They have chartered 2 planes to fly us to Cairo to continue our tour in Cairo!  Phew! So we will keep the same flights home, another phew! The affected passenger ( who is asymptomatic) will be taken off the ship in Crete, where we are just arriving now. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, joyce Ottawa said:

The person is asymptomatic and feels fine, but will apparently be debarked to a quarantine in Heraklion.  People who according to the protocols had proximity to the person for more than 20 minutes in a confined area, ( example a bus tour) are also confined to their rooms until more testing is done.  What I’m hearing, (nothing official, )  is that it seems that Egypt didn’t refuse entry but it was felt that it would be easier/clearer  to deal with the Greek covid protocols. Hence the return to Crete. We are waiting for an official update later today. 

Hi Joyce:

We hope that the passengers who tested positive will be fine as well as everyone else on board. Is there any contact tracing on the ship itself? Exposure on the ship is as likely as on a tour bus especially since Atlas, for some unknown reason, doesn't require vaccination nor masking in interior spaces. While vaccination doesn't prevent "breakthrough" infections, it does help. Hopefully, they will change their "Health and Safety Protocol" ASAP! It is my professional medical opinion that Atlas didn't have a vaccination/mask requirement because they were afraid of turning away paying passengers and possibly hurt their revenue. Pennywise and pound foolish because now, they have to charter flights to get you all to Egypt (hopefully, they will let you in). 

A travel agent on board just posted this to Instagram:

travelswithtesa's profile picture

Is Cruising back? Not for this first-timer.

August 10, Day 7/9 Athens to Cairo cruise on #worldnavigator of @atlasoceanvoyages We left Crete, had our PCR test and would have arrived in Alexandria, Egypt the next day.

Instead we are headed back to Heraklion port in Crete. One vaccinated passenger has tested and retested positive for COVID.

My husband and I were in contact (less than six feet) from the paseenger and have been isolated in our stateroom all of yesterday. We’ve just been cleared to leave our rooms. The ship doctor has administered two tests (rapid and PCR) and both times we tested negative. We are both fully vaccinated. We also have both travel insurance and emergency medical evacuation insurance.

What happens when we get to Crete? The positive passenger will be disembarked. Beyond that I don’t know. We are apprised of the next step as it comes. And I do believe the crew and ship are doing their best under the circumstances.

I have traveled quite extensively during COVID and understand the risks in traveling during this period. As much as I’ve exercised all the safety protocols, get tested regularly and am vaccinated - there are external circumstances beyond our control.

My heart is heavy. I really wanted to love cruising and start selling it. I know that some travel advisors have already started cruising or will be cruising soon. I can adjust and justify all these as a travel professional but at this moment in time cannot make this recommendation to my clients.

We just had a question and answer session for all the passengers and Manolo ( excursions director) and Alberto, the AOV president. They are going above and beyond to make us happy.  

Passengers can decide whether they prefer to go home or accept the offer of a chartered free flight to Cairo tomorrow. We will have lunch in Cairo, have a tour of the pyramids and Sphinx, then to the Ritz Carleton hotel overnight. At no charge.   All of us will go to the Giza under the Stars event for no charge (those who paid will be refunded). We personally are staying for an extended visit flying to Luxor to visit Valley of the Kings. Everyone’s original flight arrangements will not have to be changed.   

I think they have really tried to respond to our concerns, and we are very thrilled to be able to go to Egypt!  Way to go Atlas!

With respect to the mask issue, everyone has to wear a mask indoors unless sitting and eating. Walking anywhere in the ship you have to wear a mask , lots of hand sanitizer stations everywhere. Outside you don’t have to wear a mask. All the shops in Greece require a mask to enter.  

The passenger was double vaccinated. The ship does ask for your vaccine certification, but as you say, it is not a condition for embarkation. They definitely did do contact tracing as more than just a few people were confined to their cabin until repeat tests were done and confirmed negative. 

I hope this answers some of your questions!

• Like 5

Joyce,

Thanks for the update.  In Luxor right now on a pre-cruise Atlas package.  Boarding on Friday in Alexandria. Or at least schedule to.

You will love the package to visit luxor.

Any info on if the ship will come to pick us up?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Thank you Joyce. Originally, Atlas said that only the crew needed to be masked, not the passengers. We were and are going to be masked anyway.  I do hope that they mandate vaccines.  Presently, their Health and Safety protocol just asks to attest if you are vaccinated and not asking for submission of our vaccination certificates.

I wonder how Atlas will handle the cruise following yours as CDC guidelines would have them take the vessel out of service for a period of time for intense cleaning. Will those passengers now have to embark in Crete? 

1 hour ago, goghd said:

Joyce,

Thanks for the update.  In Luxor right now on a pre-cruise Atlas package.  Boarding on Friday in Alexandria. Or at least schedule to.

You will love the package to visit luxor.

Any info on if the ship will come to pick us up?

Thanks.

Hello! We are on the cruise with you starting the 13th. Just arrived at the Ritz Carlton for our 2 night pre-cruise stay. 

The tour person that met us at the hotel just told us we are going to be leaving the hotel at 4:00pm on Friday and going back to Cairo airport for a 7pm chartered flight to Crete. I think those arriving the day of the cruise are just being taken to the chartered flight. 

We have a tour of the pyramids and museum arranged for tomorrow through the concierge here. Now we pretty much have a full day on Friday to explore as well. 

We are just going with the flow at this point. Not much we can do. It’s an adventure nonetheless. I hope your tour has been amazing!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, saddledowndani said:

We are just going with the flow at this point. Not much we can do. It’s an adventure nonetheless. I hope your tour has been amazing!

Thanks for the info.  Tour is great. Light show tonight.  Valley of kings tomorrow.  Looking  forward to meeting everyone.

• Like 1

The ship will stay here in Crete and be deep cleaned I imagine as we all we be off the ship early tomorrow morning.  People who are in Egypt now will be flown on a charter to the ship here in Crete. 
I’m glad to hear the extended tour is going so well!  
I am very happy with how Atlas really tried to make us happy !

• Like 4

1 hour ago, saddledowndani said:

Hello! We are on the cruise with you starting the 13th. Just arrived at the Ritz Carlton for our 2 night pre-cruise stay. 

The tour person that met us at the hotel just told us we are going to be leaving the hotel at 4:00pm on Friday and going back to Cairo airport for a 7pm chartered flight to Crete. I think those arriving the day of the cruise are just being taken to the chartered flight. 

We have a tour of the pyramids and museum arranged for tomorrow through the concierge here. Now we pretty much have a full day on Friday to explore as well. 

Great attitude- I applaud your willingness to "going with the flow" something I think we all need to remember when traveling during covid times!   Bravo!   Also, Loving Joyce's positive notes for Atlas Ocean's attention to guests on this as well.  I'm looking forward to reading everyone's reviews!

• Like 4

We are getting off tomorrow… a few last comments, the tiled shower is great!  I forgot to ask about gf crackers sorry,. I added a photo of tonight’s menu.
We really did enjoy our cruise despite those initial issues. Also, our backpacks were delivered tonight! 

9D05F5A0-E5AC-4EB5-AC7B-51F5219D53C6.jpeg

E87FB148-C342-492A-8E9D-EBDCA3357BCA.jpeg

D008CA25-7BC3-4ABA-B1B5-132F7059D30E.jpeg

82185D46-9505-4F0E-BFAE-A02F446EEA36.jpeg

• Like 6

Dear Joyce:

I join with the others thanking you for all the information and beautiful photos that you have provided. 

I want to share the CDC's guidance for an asymptomatic vaccinated person exposed to Covid-19. I hope that Atlas is giving you this information.

"Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends fully vaccinated individuals get tested if they have symptoms or if they have had a known COVID-19 exposure to be tested 3-5 days after exposure and to wear a mask in public indoor settings for 14 days or until they receive a negative test result."

Your first PCR test may indeed be negative because the viral load can still be too low to register a positive PCR test. That is why it the CDC recommends testing asymptomatic individuals 3-5 days after exposure. I've had several asymptomatic patients and associates who initially tested negative and then in 3-5 days re-tested positive. Please consult your physician and wear a mask in public indoor settings until you get the second test result. I truly hope that you remain free of this awful virus and have  a safe journey home.

Edited by keokukjoe
  • Like 1

Quite an adventure indeed.  I can’t thank you enough Joyce for all of your posts and pictures, answering questions and giving your honest thoughts and impressions.  Glad the infamous backpacks actually showed up!   

I have to admit the Atlas did step up with the chartered flights and original plans for post and now pre cruise guests in Cairo.  Not sure they had much choice as this is quite a pickle so to speak,   From what I am hearing and reading it does seem the disembarking of anyone who tests positive in wherever they are, does seem to be the trend for handling that situation.  It makes one think about the itinerary one books on in a different light.  We have been thinking of a few places we have stopped at that could be challenging to say the least should one have to suddenly get off, hang out awhile and get home from there.   I am curious how the Atlas evacuation insurance will handle all this .... or not.

I do have to ask if there was ever anything done about the “free” laundry misinformation and the wifi screw up, wiring issue or not, it needed to be dealt with and not just by happily charging people to use wifi.  While it is great to deal with the bigger issues like the ship turnaround and change of port for the cruise changeover, the devil is also in the details and small stuff as the saying goes.  

Thank you again Joyce!  You are an inspiration to the rest of us to continue posting likewise and helping future passengers,  

• Like 1