Which port is the worst?

Trueblueky

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

When folks talk about the Caribbean and disliking beaches, water and sun...all in the same sentence it makes me wonder why they even cruise in the Caribbean.  While we are long time extensive travelers (all over the world) we still return to the Caribbean...

... A SCUBA diver might certainly prefer a dive in the Caymans over anything in Europe.

Of course, SCUBA is possible - even amazing - in the Aegean (among other subsidiaries of the Med).

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes, I think that is a fair thought.  

A port that many have thought--and continue to think--is a "worst" port is Sihanoukville, Cambodia.  Can't comment on what one would experience if one only stayed in the port.  But, the port in the entryway for a visit to Phnom Penh.  The city itself and the sites I visited were worth the time.  The time I traveled through the countryside between the Port and the City during daylight and after sunset were culturally revealing as well.  

One thing that impressed me so much during that visit was the people.  Knowing what they had endured, there was no hostility, no negativity because of what the Vietnam War did to their country nor the oppression that they had experienced. 

You do raise a great point in that there are some terrible ports that allow access to amazing places.  I mentioned my dislike of Constanta but others would say that the port does give some cruisers (those with a long port day) access to some decent places located within a few hours of that port.  That certainly complicates the topic of worst ports.  

Hank

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 6:26 PM, stobe1 said:

Pro-gross-o (aka Progreso, Mexico)

I’d read so many nasty things about Progreso, that I went with the absolute lowest expectations. I just planned on making it a day on the ship so I didn’t research anything. On the ship, the Cruise Director kept stressing to book a ship excursion and to not go on your own. Several people in our group were scared to get off the ship.

Once we got there, I said what the heck, let me at least get on the complimentary bus into town. What I found was a sleepy but very welcoming town. We traversed the streets and checked out the sights as we worked our way to the beachfront. Long story short, I LOVED Progreso. It was such a nice, more authentic,  and welcome change from nearby Cozumel that is overrun with cruisers and tourist trap attractions. People in Progreso were so warm and welcoming and we had an absolutely fantastic day there.

I can see how Progreso would not be on everybody’s favorites list. It’s not for cruisers who don’t feel at ease mingling with locals in their every day environment. But for me, it was a wonderful destination and I wouldn’t mind returning some day. 

E7EBE0DD-07B9-421F-AEE2-2A7561E88431.jpeg

4C5EBEB4-13C2-498E-A2E2-7346BD051AB5.jpeg

3A76A1C1-D429-44F1-9847-0C60953060B2.jpeg

C15E8D80-A981-431A-8C0C-3E5CC8E9AD64.jpeg

A183D8D2-CC66-45C3-B6FE-70DC23D14894.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1