Is ita Matrix on its last leg?

pinotlover

I have been attempting to use ita Matrix for the last month to find flights and prices for upcoming trips. I have used this tool for years.

What I’m now seeing are flights that don’t exist and prices all over the board different from the airline listings. 

I have even called one airline about a specific fare listed and the rep said that fare does not, nor never has existed. It was a BC fare that was over $5K lower than the airline’s prices. I am now finding these discrepancies across several airlines.

Has the plug now been effectively pulled? Should I now only be using other sites?

9 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I have been attempting to use ita Matrix for the last month to find flights and prices for upcoming trips. I have used this tool for years.

What I’m now seeing are flights that don’t exist and prices all over the board different from the airline listings. 

I have even called one airline about a specific fare listed and the rep said that fare does not, nor never has existed. It was a BC fare that was over $5K lower than the airline’s prices. I am now finding these discrepancies across several airlines.

Has the plug now been effectively pulled? Should I now only be using other sites?

Next time you find one, go to bookwithmatrix dot com. You paste the ip address of the matrix result and it should take you to the carrier's booking site with those flights. I haven't priced flights in a while, so I'm not sure how accurate they have been lately.

Been working for me pretty well recently.  Found me an itinerary from Alaska that saved almost 50% over the standard routing.

One issue may be that airlines have been doing major changes with schedules and fare filings.  There may be phantom flights and phantom fares without any actual inventory.  Or ITA is playing catch-up.

I doubt that Matrix is being pulled.  Many have said that Google uses it as a beta test for Google Flights.

And for examples of the mass schedule changes, you might want to read the weekly "Skeds of Air Lines" from Cranky Flier:  https://crankyflier.com/category/schedule-changes/

On 5/30/2021 at 8:47 AM, pinotlover said:

Sounds like the US may be getting back to normal. 

Many airlines in the world are still dealing with COVID and that is causing fairly dramatic changes.  

That is not common.  In Canada at least the practice the airlines have had has to been to load last year schedule and then make minor changes. This year the changes are far from minor.   

2 hours ago, em-sk said:

Sounds like the US may be getting back to normal. 

Many airlines in the world are still dealing with COVID and that is causing fairly dramatic changes.  

That is not common.  In Canada at least the practice the airlines have had has to been to load last year schedule and then make minor changes. This year the changes are far from minor.   

My problem has been the Matrix has shown a fare and flights that actually exist, but the fare doesn’t. The Matrix will say that BC itinerary is $2700. Cannot find it on the website, so call the airlines. They say it’s $8K. Ita Matrix runs the fare day after day and no one knows where it’s coming from. On the opposite end, it’s Matrix was showing a $16K BC fare for Delta for the same itinerary. Delta’s website was showing it at $5K. Something is out of whack. I’ve used ita Matrix for years and have never seen such ambiguous returns.

On 5/30/2021 at 9:47 AM, pinotlover said:

We have been using it as recently as today.  No issue whatsoever.   We also use google air and skyscanner (better in our experience for LCL airlines Europe and Asia).

We have had a similar issue with trying to book a matrix identified fare with the airline.  It was a YYC-BKK fare.  $980 on matix.  When I called AC directly, gave them the fare codes, route, date I was told the only fare they had on file was $1500.  No sale.   I believe I tried 2 on line booking sites before the exact fare and the exact itmatrix price hit the screen.  I booked immediately.   It was the fare and the routing.  

• Like 1