Packing Question?

rucrazy

Our practice has been to fill a laundry bag at night after dinner or first thing in the morning and advising our room steward.  

The clothes have always come  back the same day,  usually  in the evening while we were out.  It has been fast, inexpensive (occasionally gratis depending on the cruise line), and always perfectly laundered.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, iancal said:

Our practice has been to fill a laundry bag at night after dinner or first thing in the morning and advising our room steward.  

The clothes have always come  back the same day,  usually  in the evening while we were out.  It has been fast, inexpensive (occasionally gratis depending on the cruise line), and always perfectly laundered.

Not having to pay luggage fees goes a long way toward laundry too.

18 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Not having to pay luggage fees goes a long way toward laundry too.

On one airline, I think it was Jetstar Australia, we actually paid more to increase on carry on limit to 8KG than we would have paid to check the bag.

54 minutes ago, iancal said:

On one airline, I think it was Jetstar Australia, we actually paid more to increase on carry on limit to 8KG than we would have paid to check the bag.

That is one of those fees I avoid on principle.  But I have to ask, why didn't you just go ahead and check it? Does the airline have a bad record of lost luggage?

Our preference is to keep our luggage with us.  Airline baggage fees are not an issue for us.  They are immaterial.

There is such a huge difference in boarding flights on airlines in Europe, Asia, Australia where there are reasonable carry on limits vs. North America where it seems one could board with a pet elephant as carry on and it would not be noticed. 

So much less of those bags that they cannot handle standing in the aisle waiting for someone to help them.  And holding everyone else up because they could not handle their bag but did not want to pay to check it.    It is like day and night between the two environments.

Edited by iancal

11 hours ago, Tbay said:

On our last cruise, 35 days, a man wore the same outfit day and night. Black track pants and a black shirt with red dragons on it. Never saw him in anything else. I was told he forgot his suitcase. What I don’t understand is why he didn’t buy something in our first few ports.....Bar Harbour,  Sydney , where stores were easily accessible. 

I don't think I've ever heard of that, "forgetting suitcase"....lost yes, but even then the people I know it's happened to found something workable in the gift shops or in ports.

26 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I don't think I've ever heard of that, "forgetting suitcase"....lost yes, but even then the people I know it's happened to found something workable in the gift shops or in ports.

She raises her hand.   When I was the ultimate road warrior going from show to show we had a short stopover in our hometown to wash clothes.   Yep in the next town we had no luggage.  Thank goodness we did have our blazers to wear over our brand new Walmart wardrobe.  

I did have to rush home after that show to retrieve my bags for the next 2 shows.  

Edited by Mary229

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Sh raises her hand.   When I was the ultimate road warrior going from show to show we had a short stopover in our hometown to wash clothes.   Yep in the next town we had no luggage.  Thank goodness we did have our blazers to wear over our brand new Walmart wardrobe.  

I did have to rush home after that show to retrieve my bags for the next 2 shows.  

LoL...oh my gosh.  I know of at least two people who were being followed across Europe by their luggage.  Every time they'd arrange to have it delivered they be on to the next country.  

I did see one woman's suitcase go overboard during embarkation one time.  Of course they fished it out, and carefully laundered everything, ever since that I make sure to always pack medication and valuables in my carryon.

• Like 1

One of my packing problems is shoes. There have been rare & wonderful moments in my life when I found versatile, comfortable sandals that actually looked OK for day or evening, but not at the moment. So something dressy, another pair more casual, something comfortable…Then there are necessary bulky, closed-toe walking shoes, and the next thing I know, it’s really getting out of hand.

As an aside - does anyone else remember the time HAL sent invitations to the Captain’s Club lunch with a dress code that included “no sandals”? That post generated quite a few pages.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

One of my packing problems is shoes. There have been rare & wonderful moments in my life when I found versatile, comfortable sandals that actually looked OK for day or evening, but not at the moment. So something dressy, another pair more casual, something comfortable…Then there are necessary bulky, closed-toe walking shoes, and the next thing I know, it’s really getting out of hand.

As an aside - does anyone else remember the time HAL sent invitations to the Captain’s Club lunch with a dress code that included “no sandals”? That post generated quite a few pages.

We both switched to Teva sandals about eight years ago.  Extremely comfortable, durable ( still have my first pair) lightweight, dry quickly and are fine in salt water.  Plus, they take up very little room in our carry on.

• Like 2