LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

Yes, you can leave the ship and go into town. The shuttle takes you to Harpa Concert Hall. I will defer to someone else to confirm when the first shuttle leaves the ship and when the last shuttle returns to the ship.

Thanks so much for this response. That helps a lot with our planning!

25 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

How is weather today-Tuesday. Trying to see if my accuweather is accurate.  I’m hoping not since it says rain today ….and almost everyday next week. 🤞

Gorgeous,  lots of sun on the treasures of Iceland tour and quite warm in mid 60s. Cruise director said originally called for 50s and 80%chance of rain and we got zero rain. Lots of fog the last 2 days so this was a treat!

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, VI_Lounger said:

Gorgeous,  lots of sun on the treasures of Iceland tour and quite warm in mid 60s. Cruise director said originally called for 50s and 80%chance of rain and we got zero rain. Lots of fog the last 2 days so this was a treat!

Phew!  Hope that trend of my accuwather app being wrong will continue 

• Like 2

Sailing on Viking Sky Aug. 21. Booked Reykjanes Peninsula & Viking Museum excursion in hopes of viewing the erupting volcano in this region. I realize it is not a "promised" destination but I see on the map that it's in that area.

Have seen questions but no answers as to whether or not anyone has seen it on this tour. This Viking shore excursion is the only one passing near the eruption site (Fagradalsfjall). Can anyone on the first or second cruise help me?  Otherwise ... this excursion sounds disappointing on Ethan's "News from First Sailing".

5 minutes ago, hikingfan said:

Sailing on Viking Sky Aug. 21. Booked Reykjanes Peninsula & Viking Museum excursion in hopes of viewing the erupting volcano in this region. I realize it is not a "promised" destination but I see on the map that it's in that area.

Have seen questions but no answers as to whether or not anyone has seen it on this tour. This Viking shore excursion is the only one passing near the eruption site (Fagradalsfjall). Can anyone on the first or second cruise help me?  Otherwise ... this excursion sounds disappointing on Ethan's "News from First Sailing".

Someone on the site which can’t be named, shares a blurry long (long) distance photograph as they drove down a highway. Said they were told they didn’t have time to stop. 

4 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Someone on the site which can’t be named, shares a blurry long (long) distance photograph as they drove down a highway. Said they were told they didn’t have time to stop. 

Thank you, Clay. We appreciate your quick response!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VI_Lounger said:

They were not wrong about the advice that layering is key.  We've gone from peeling off layers feeling too hot to a gust of wind coming up 10 minutes later and putting on the coats again. However,  good news is the rain gear has remained in the bag and hope it stays there all week. Ignore the stress of weather forecasts and pack for everything!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, VI_Lounger said:

They were not wrong about the advice that layering is key.  We've gone from peeling off layers feeling too hot to a gust of wind coming up 10 minutes later and putting on the coats again. However,  good news is the rain gear has remained in the bag and hope it stays there all week. Ignore the stress of weather forecasts and pack for everything!

So a lightweight down jacket is not crazy to pack? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hikingfan said:

So, if you were going to go directly to see it (which the tour does not do), you go to Grindavik, then go east on the southern road 427 for about 3 miles to the parking lot. Then you walk for a mile or so (a little less every day) to the edge of the lava flow. You don't (anymore) get a view of the caldera because you can't get that close because you'd have to walk over lava to get closer. The old hilltop viewpoints of the caldera are now underground.

So you might get a distant view of it, but it's still far enough away that you won't experience it. If you really really want to see it, you book as far in advance as possible for a very expensive helicopter tour that leaves from Reykjavik Airport -- i.e. the domestic airport in town.

59 minutes ago, USI said:

So a lightweight down jacket is not crazy to pack? 

Not at all. Yesterday was cooler so glad I brought the winter weight Helly. Most days our rain jackets with layers have worked though

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VI_Lounger said:

Not at all. Yesterday was cooler so glad I brought the winter weight Helly. Most days our rain jackets with layers have worked though

Thank goodness!  I'm glad you said your HH was needed-- I was planning on bringing my Helly Hansen mid layer waterproof jacket... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flaladyB said:

If anyone would share details about the Geobath excursion today, It would be greatly appreciated!!

It was ok. Nothing close to the Blue Lagoon experience but the scenery was beautiful. Our stop at the falls was amazing.

2 hours ago, VI_Lounger said:

Did you get the midges on the Northern Treasures tour?

5 hours ago, Jgg630 said:

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle into town on the first day of tours?  If we choose to pass on tours is there a way into town or on our own?  Thanks. 

Shuttles running Day 1 and Day 2. Ship to Harpa Hall. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DJVKN said:

@Clay Claytoni asked Jenna tonight the numbers for your cruise. She wouldn’t tell me but she said you should private message her and she will respond.

I don’t know how to do that…I’ve tried on FB and Instagram.  No biggie -it will be what it will be. Thanks for asking!

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hikingfan said:

Did the Reykejanes peninsula tour.  You cannot see the crater from the road.  You can only see the steam rising into the sky.  If you want to see anything you have to hike in. The length of the hike and possible routes keeps changing.  Do not do the Reykejanes tour if your only reason for taking it is to see the volcano.  You will be sorely disappointed.  

29 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Yes. Someone even was wearing netting. 

39 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Very few. The first cruisers said they had them at golden circle and treasures, but we were only attacked at Dynjandi..so far😁