LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

5 hours ago, Sr Sailor said:

Don’t waste your money on the “Iceland Through the Photographer’s Lens”.  There wasn’t any worthwhile information shared and the sites were lame.  You’re much better off taking your own photographic expertise on “The Golden Circle”.

The feedback is appreciated, but some supporting facts would be greatly appreciated, to assist others making an informed decision.

As an avid photographer, I have attended workshops with my daughter and found most of the other participants were rookies, like my daughter. The class was obviously adjusted based on the needs of the majority. How did the majority of attendees photogrpahic experience compare to yours?

I would be interested in reading comments on the sites you visited and how they were lame.

Any additional facts you can provide are greatly appreciated, as photo tours are one of my interests.

• Like 1

Live from KEF airport after arriving from London. 

Antigen test fully accepted. 

From landing to boarding coach no more than 30 minutes. 5 minute wait on coach and we are off. 

Coach 1/3 full. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NeilP57 said:

Live from KEF airport after arriving from London. 

Antigen test fully accepted. 

From landing to boarding coach no more than 30 minutes. 5 minute wait on coach and we are off. 

Coach 1/3 full. 

Thanks for update

PLEASE Letus know about harpa sign in and the fullness of buses on shore excursions

Hope you have wonderful trip

5 minute wait on the bus for the line to clear inside. 

5 minute wait in line to check in. Repeat questions on health questionnaire to make sure answers not changed. 

Have picture taken again. 

it only took a couple of minutes to do comfort check in before we departed but as others have said it is ignored. 

Plus they take a picture of your credit card. Just hope the images are stored securely. 

Weather warm and cloud clearing. Grabbed a quick coffee and then a walk around harbour and a quick photo stop at Icelandic boat sculpture. 

Departing to ship at 12:00 which is 10 mins drive away. 

We have been at the concert hall about 1:45 hrs. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

5 minute wait in line to check in. Repeat questions on health questionnaire to make sure answers not changed. 

it only took a couple of minutes to do comfort check in before we departed but as others have said it is ignored. 

Plus they take a picture of your credit card. Just hope the images are stored securely. 

Weather warm and cloud clearing. Grabbed a quick coffee and then a walk around harbour and a quick photo stop at Icelandic boat sculpture. 

Thanks 

Walgreens offers a NAAT (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test) as their "rapid" test.  From what I've read the test is more accurate than a "rapid antigen".

Has anyone had experience with the Walgreens rapid test?  Will it meet the Iceland requirements for entry?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Milliegirl229 said:

We are signed up for the Vigur Island excursion based on many outstanding reviews from the early cruises. By the end of August it seems that the puffins will be gone. Also the early excursions were noted to have about 20 people per boat and now they are putting 30 people per boat. Based on the experiences of those that have taken the excursion do you think it will be worth it with no puffins and a crowded boat? Thank you.

What type boat are they using for this tour?

13 minutes ago, OldCrustyGuy said:

Walgreens offers a NAAT (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test) as their "rapid" test.  From what I've read the test is more accurate than a "rapid antigen".

Has anyone had experience with the Walgreens rapid test?  Will it meet the Iceland requirements for entry?

I too would like an answer to this question as I plan to use Walgreens or CVS for my pre cruise test.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

Thanks, Neil!  I'm just curious about what time your plane landed, as I assume you came from the UK and perhaps didn't land in the very busy very early morning.  I'm trying to guess what the crowds will be like after landing (if any) on my 6:30 AM arrival.  

47 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

What type boat are they using for this tour?

This is a screenshot I took from a webcam on the 26th (Monday).  I believe the vendor might be West Tours. Of course, there's no guarantee that the boat will be the same for all trips/dates.  I vaguely remember that someone reported there were a few seats outside, so if you're concerned about crowds, it may be possible to sit outside (in the back, I suppose?)  I'll try to remember to look at the webcam early Monday morning to see if I can get an idea of how many passengers it's taking that day.1738892535_isaboattripVikingfrneighpier.jpg.baadf168660de8bff3a1cbe8e8d9c933.jpg

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Thanks, Neil!  I'm just curious about what time your plane landed, as I assume you came from the UK and perhaps didn't land in the very busy very early morning.  I'm trying to guess what the crowds will be like after landing (if any) on my 6:30 AM arrival.  

We landed about 9:00 am local time. We were about 10 minutes early coming in from London. 

• Thanks 1

Yes that is the boat we used a few days ago. There were 31 on our tour in the afternoon. Seats for 30 inside. One person on our tour had to sit outside but the crew did bring him a blanket. FYI there is no social distancing on this boat. We sat shoulder to shoulder in the small cabin for the 35 minute boat ride each way. Some took their mask off and no one said anything to them.  The excursion was just as wonderful as everyone said. 

• Like 1

Just a thought for people wanting extra storage room-open your suitcase flat and store under the bed.  You have two extra drawers for things you might not need every day.  
I find the discussion about wearing mask interesting.  How fortunate we are to travel to Iceland and cruise.  Let’s do what is required by Iceland and Viking.  I want to protect others, my travel friends, and myself .  I don’t want to be the person who has infected others.
Wear a mask and take the tracker where required.  To me it’s simple.

Also pack patience and be flexible.  See you in 2 weeks.

• Like 6

Leaving Iceland today after our July 17 cruise and 2,220 km drive around the Westfjords this last week. Line for Covid test on Thursday was over two blocks long and 1-3/4 hours until tested. Received our "Negative" results about seven hours later.

At the airport today, when we arrived at 13:00 check-in line was about 45 minutes. ICE employee said that line was out the door this morning! That would probably be about two hours.

Bon Voyage everyone!

Jack

• Like 1

Live from Viking Sky. 

Left Harpa concern hall at scheduled time of 12:00. 

We were told there was a small delay with boarding, so coach did a small tour of Reykjavik and instead of 10 minute trip to Viking Sky in took just over 30 min with a pleasant and knowledgeable local guide. 

Then waited a further 20 minutes before leaving the bus and climbing the rather steep gangway (we were okay but a few struggled) and then we stepped into what many of us have one to love over recent years. 

We were shown to a designated space (for us the MDR) where we received a short personal safety  briefing and then we were free to go. 

Stateroom were not ready at this point so we headed to the World Cafe for a fabulous small lunch. On the way we called in at the reception area of the two speciality restaurants and made a booking for both Manfredi’s and the Chefs Table both a times that suited us. 

In the World Cafe we were able to sign up for the drinks package with one of the Wine Steward and a rather nice glass of South African pinotage was consumed with lunch overlooking a fabulous view across to a headland with some higher ground in the background. 

An announcement that all Staterooms  were available for passengers at 1:35pm. 

Safety video and the first of many saliva samples (after the required 30 minute delay ) were provided. 

It feels so good to be back. 

Feel free to fire off any questions that are appropriate for this live thread. 

• Like 8

First Viking cruise on the Sky coming up very soon!  On prior cruises we often ordered room service for breakfast and tipped the person who brought it to our room.

Now due to social distancing and perhaps Viking might recommend otherwise, would it be better to add the tips on at the end of our cruise in addition to the regular amount?  

7 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

Live from Viking Sky. 

We were told there was a small delay with boarding, so coach did a small tour of Reykjavik and instead of 10 minute trip to Viking Sky in took just over 30 min with a pleasant and knowledgeable local guide. 

Then waited a further 20 minutes before leaving the bus and climbing the rather steep gangway (we were okay but a few struggled) and then we stepped into what many of us have one to love over recent years. 

We were shown to a designated space (for us the MDR) where we received a short personal safety  briefing and then we were free to go. 

Stateroom were not ready at this point so we headed to the World Cafe for a fabulous small lunch. On the way we called in at the reception area of the two speciality restaurants and made a booking for both Manfredi’s and the Chefs Table both a times that suited us. 

In the World Cafe we were able to sign up for the drinks package with one of the Wine Steward and a rather nice glass of South African pinotage was consumed with lunch overlooking a fabulous view across to a headland with some higher ground in the background. 

Safety video and the first of many saliva samples (after the required 30 minute delay ) were provided. 

Your post makes me want to do it all over again!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

Live from Viking Sky. 

Thanks so much for providing this timely info. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Wander58 said:

I would like to know this as well.  It's the ABBOTT ID NOW test at Walgreens.

ATTN: From 27 July 2021, the following applies: All vaccinated travelers, as well as those with a confirmed previous infection, must present a negative COVID test before boarding an aircraft or ship to Iceland. Both a PCR test and a COVID-19 rapid antigen test are accepted. The test must have been taken within 72 hours before departure on the first leg of the journey. A fine for not presenting a negative COVID-19 test is 100.000 isk.

https://www.covid.is/sub-categories/vaccination-and-antibodies

12 minutes ago, perucruiser said:

ATTN: From 27 July 2021, the following applies: All vaccinated travelers, as well as those with a confirmed previous infection, must present a negative COVID test before boarding an aircraft or ship to Iceland. Both a PCR test and a COVID-19 rapid antigen test are accepted. The test must have been taken within 72 hours before departure on the first leg of the journey. A fine for not presenting a negative COVID-19 test is 100.000 isk.

https://www.covid.is/sub-categories/vaccination-and-antibodies

I know this.  What I would like to know is if the ABBOTT ID NOW test has been accepted?  It is a molecular NAAT test which is better than antigen but not quite PCR.