Inquiry for tall cruisers on Koningsdam

We have enjoyed being on the Oosterdam, and Noordam in Verandah staterooms. We were interested in looking at a cruise on the Koningsdam, but were watching a video made by a tall passenger with a Verandah stateroom on YouTube.  He appeared fairly tall, and when he walked into the bathroom the layout looked problematic for the toilet in relation to the shower. I am 6'7" and my wife is 6'2". Just wondering if any tall cruisers out there who have been on the Konnigsdam have had any issues with this diagonal position that would require my knee to go through the shower door? :) Thanks

9 minutes ago, Tall Valley Cruiser said:

We have enjoyed being on the Oosterdam, and Noordam in Verandah staterooms. We were interested in looking at a cruise on the Koningsdam, but were watching a video made by a tall passenger with a Verandah stateroom on YouTube.  He appeared fairly tall, and when he walked into the bathroom the layout looked problematic for the toilet in relation to the shower. I am 6'7" and my wife is 6'2". Just wondering if any tall cruisers out there who have been on the Konnigsdam have had any issues with this diagonal position that would require my knee to go through the shower door? :) Thanks

I have sailed in a verandah stateroom on the Koningsdam and can assure you, the bathroom designer must have been extremely short.  The good news is that a slight shift (about 15% degrees) on the toilet seat will allow your legs to stretch.  You will get used to the odd positioning. 

The quality of a Koningsdam experience will make up for the inconvenience. 

• Like 3

My husband is 6"6" and I am 5'10".  We both had to sit slightly angled on the toilet to avoid hitting our knees on the glass shower wall.  Not a good design!  However, it was a very mild inconvenience, and did not prevent us sailing on the Koningsdam 4 times already, and we have booked on her for our 5th time in 2023.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I just saw a video with the person I believe who was the head designer for the ship, she appears very petite. Reminds me of general seating at Disney Hall in Los Angeles, also designed by someone who has never come close to having their knees touch the seat in front of them in coach on an airplane! 😊

• Like 2

The toilets on the Koningsdam are indeed angled.   (can't speak for all cabins though )

It remains a mystery why they are not perpendicular to the bulkhead,  or anything else for that matter.

Perhaps the designer was taking into account the gravitational spin of the earth. 

Maybe it helps with sea-sickness?

We may never know.

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2021 at 4:12 PM, Vict0riann said:

I think they have adjusted the angle a bit on Nieuw Statendam.  They must have had one or two complaints!

Yes they have,  The angle on the Nieuw Statendam is slightly different and hitting our knees wasn't an issue.