Amawaterways questions

Jack1

54 minutes ago, upgrayders said:

Thank you.  Were men requested to wear  jacket at captains farewell dinner?

No

except the cruise director Ive never seen any man dress up that much at any point on the cruise.

I wear slacks and a collared polo shirt.  And id say thats about average.

Edited by CastleCritic

2 hours ago, upgrayders said:

Are jackets requested for the captains dinner on AMA Magna August 2023

Thank you

No. Not required nor requested. Wear what you want.

In my review from a few months ago, I posted a section on dress. For reference, there were 59 passengers the first week and 107 the second week. Unlike @CastleCritic, I did see sport coats at the Captains Dinner.

Dress
I think the average age on the first week was lower than the second week, and this seemed to be reflected in dress as well. We are both 54, and I think we were right in the middle the first week. The second week, I think we were on the lower side. I feel that in general, people the second week dressed up slightly more than the first week. Less jeans, sweatshirts, that sort of thing. This was a slight difference, not drastic. The first week for the Captain's dinner, I put on my sport coat and tie, and I think I was one of three sport coats, and maybe the only tie. Seemed like what I've seen in recent years on Royal Caribbean for "Formal" night. Anything goes (ok, not that bad), but some people like to dress up. Next week, just my designated dress shirt, and I was probably in the minority.  

I have not been on Ama Magna, but have been on 3 other AmaWaterways cruises.  If you want to wear a jacket, you may, but it is not required and most do not.  Just wear a collared shirt and nice pants and you will be fine.

On 8/10/2023 at 7:45 PM, RobInMN said:

No. Not required nor requested. Wear what you want.

In my review from a few months ago, I posted a section on dress. For reference, there were 59 passengers the first week and 107 the second week. Unlike @CastleCritic, I did see sport coats at the Captains Dinner.

Dress
I think the average age on the first week was lower than the second week, and this seemed to be reflected in dress as well. We are both 54, and I think we were right in the middle the first week. The second week, I think we were on the lower side. I feel that in general, people the second week dressed up slightly more than the first week. Less jeans, sweatshirts, that sort of thing. This was a slight difference, not drastic. The first week for the Captain's dinner, I put on my sport coat and tie, and I think I was one of three sport coats, and maybe the only tie. Seemed like what I've seen in recent years on Royal Caribbean for "Formal" night. Anything goes (ok, not that bad), but some people like to dress up. Next week, just my designated dress shirt, and I was probably in the minority.  

Thank you

28 minutes ago, upgrayders said:

Electric outlets.  we will be on ama magna.  i was wondering if the electric outlets accommodate US electricity for charging kindles and phones.  

thank you

You will need adapters. I was looking at a picture of my suite and I believe there were usb-a ports by the bed but the outlets were euro. 

60B3D932-B10A-4360-BC70-0EEB228A14C8.png

Edited by CastleCritic

Pretty sure the USB ports are USB-A. You can use a USB-A to USB-C cable

We travel with a bunch of these:

61bj9Z3M0ZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EG0KC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

And a couple of these:

61w-Jym8icL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YDF8GCT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

And one of these. Bought this one many years ago. There are version that have USB-C PD ports on them now.

51HT14cpJYS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IUTIUEA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by RobInMN

• 1 month later...

I booked Ama for the first time.  The ship is Lyra, Paris to Rouen to Paris.   I'm concerned about the condition of the ship since it is older and sat used during covid.  Will there be any mold smell in the fabric and carpeting in the cabin?   I could not find a recent review and would appreciate comments from anyone who has been on Lyra since 2022.  

I was on AMADante in 2022 right after she started up an older ship which 100% sat during covid and was the only ship not to sail in 2021 during the restart.  They had used the time well to keep her clean and painted.

All the ships have sailed a lot since then I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 1