Amawaterways questions

Jack1

Does Amawaterways put gratuities on your on board account?   We will have OBC to use so wondering if it can be used for gratuities? 

I see Amawaterways has choices for excursions but for European cruises are all their excursions included in fare or are there some excursions that have an additional cost?   Just wondering what we can use the OBC for other than drinks, laundry and spa.

Thank you

On both our AMA European cruises all excursion choices were included in the fare.  I believe that on the Danube there are a few that cost extra, things like an evening concert in Vienna.

We were able to use OBC for gratuities.  The other ways to use it would have been drinks [no need, between free-flowing wine at meals and happy hour], spa, and the small gift shop.

• Like 1

Not meaning to hijack your thread but it caused me to go ahead and start my check in for my first AMA cruise.   My cruise is not until next year and follows directly after my 3 week ocean cruise.   As I read the contract I came across this:

4.BAGGAGE LIMIT AND LABELING: Each Passenger may bring aboard the Vessel, without additional charge, up to one (1) suitcase. Additional Baggage will be subject to excess baggage charges. Passenger shall assure that all Baggage is securely packed and distinctly labeled with Passenger’s full name, Vessel name and sailing date, and Passenger’s cabin number.

are they serious, 1 bag.   Does that include carryon?    Thank you for any help 

DW and I each bring one checked bag, one carry on, and one 'personal item' per airline rules – AMA never gave us any trouble, whether on airport pickup or dropping bags early on board.  And we had no trouble stashing everything in our cabins.

• Like 3

When I sailed Ama in Vietnam and Cambodia, our limits were based on the fact that we had a flight from Hanoi to Siem Reap that limited luggage. All of the companies seem to say something about luggage limits, but I have not really seen anyone get into trouble for their luggage.

I always manage with one medium size (24-26") checked rolling suitcase and a larger knapsack as my carryon. (I frequently put a daypack sized knapsack in my luggage.)

• Like 1

Thank you @gnome12 and @Host Jazzbeau.  Yes, we will each have a checked bag, each a carry on and a  single day use pack.  I certainly didn't want to have to store luggage at the airport. 

I assume empty luggage can be stashed under the bed, correct?

Edited by Mary229

On 6/27/2021 at 7:59 PM, Mary229 said:

Not meaning to hijack your thread but it caused me to go ahead and start my check in for my first AMA cruise.   My cruise is not until next year and follows directly after my 3 week ocean cruise.   As I read the contract I came across this:

4.BAGGAGE LIMIT AND LABELING: Each Passenger may bring aboard the Vessel, without additional charge, up to one (1) suitcase. Additional Baggage will be subject to excess baggage charges. Passenger shall assure that all Baggage is securely packed and distinctly labeled with Passenger’s full name, Vessel name and sailing date, and Passenger’s cabin number.

are they serious, 1 bag.   Does that include carryon?    Thank you for any help 

In 2019 (our last)cruise husband had 1 x26" 1 x22 & tote. I had 1x 22 and a tote-plus a Longchamps large tote for post land addition- no problem. Our friends had 6 bags no problem. We did a lft & shift from2021 to 2022 planning on the same baggage

• Like 1

I have taken several trips where the T&C mentioned baggage limits.  I have never seen anyone (other than airlines) checking number or size of bags.  So now, with NY chutzpah, I just ignore that part of the T&C and bring what I want. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 5:27 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

On both our AMA European cruises all excursion choices were included in the fare.  I believe that on the Danube there are a few that cost extra, things like an evening concert in Vienna.

We were able to use OBC for gratuities.  The other ways to use it would have been drinks [no need, between free-flowing wine at meals and happy hour], spa, and the small gift shop.

Thank you so much for answering my questions.

• 7 months later...

A few more questions,  how do I prepay my gratuities and how much is the AMA transfer from AMS .    We are arriving late and don’t want to train and want to compare rates.  The AMAwaterways website won’t allow me to see anything even though I am paid in full.  We leave early for various pre-cruise travels. Is it normal to have to wait to see shore excursions and other arrangements?

On 2/18/2022 at 9:49 AM, Mary229 said:

A few more questions,  how do I prepay my gratuities and how much is the AMA transfer from AMS .    We are arriving late and don’t want to train and want to compare rates.  The AMAwaterways website won’t allow me to see anything even though I am paid in full.  We leave early for various pre-cruise travels. Is it normal to have to wait to see shore excursions and other arrangements?

Hi Mary, I would call AMA about pre-payment on your gratuities  And as for the transfer, mine is included in my cruise but maybe that is because I am booking my flights with them.  I would contact AMA or if you booked through a TA, call them.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 9:49 AM, Mary229 said:

The river cruise lines used to mail out your tickets/paperwork shortly before your cruise with luggage tags, etc.  Ama included a brochure which described the available daily excursions.  Now they (AMA) uses an app.  You can upload your booking number and name, and that will give you much of your cruise excursion details.  Unfortunately the app will not let you add a cruise until 21 days before embarkation.  

Just finished day 2 in Cairo.

Weather bit cool in am but warms up to low 20's C in afternoon.  Supposed to be warmer once we arrive in Luxor.  This Canadian can't wait! 

Everything so far is typical Amawaterways...no glitches.

As for masks..well that is hit or miss.  Some passengers while on the busses don't wear them even after being told first thing this am to please wear them on the bus.  Local people for the most part don't wear masks at all.

Cheers

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, whitbob said:

The river cruise lines used to mail out your tickets/paperwork shortly before your cruise with luggage tags, etc.  Ama included a brochure which described the available daily excursions.  Now they (AMA) uses an app.  You can upload your booking number and name, and that will give you much of your cruise excursion details.  Unfortunately the app will not let you add a cruise until 21 days before embarkation.  

Thank you.  I am going to be at sea and was hoping to manage my excursions prior to leaving the states.   Too bad about the 21 day window. 

50 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Thank you.  I am going to be at sea and was hoping to manage my excursions prior to leaving the states.   Too bad about the 21 day window. 

There isn't generally a whole lot to manage. Very few excursions are limited in numbers.

53 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Thank you.  I will try in a week or two. 

I think I remember that the AMA website told me when they would become available.  [But my memory isn't what it used to be...]

They did let me do the Check-in once I had made final payment.

The third category is the Health thingy and that was frustrating:  it kept asking me to do it, but even after I input all the info (including uploading our CDC cards with boosters showing) it kept spitting me back.  Finally on Feb. 21 it took the info and gave me green checks [just about a month ahead of sailing].

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, upgrayders said:

Another question regarding AMA Magna.  Is Laundry included in suite level SB?

Thank you

YEP

and a basket of fruit in the room refreshed every day

and free bottles of sprite, Fanta, Diet Coke or whatever else they have delivered every day. (there is a fridge in one of the closets)

Edited by CastleCritic

My source is I was staying in an AMAMagna SB room about 2 weeks ago this time and this was all on the card they left in the room.  Plus I had my laundry done and extra Fanta dropped off every day

SB is a suite.

96803E79-D378-4063-B36C-BC42495AC370.jpeg

C30E3062-8DB9-48DD-94A4-F5FE6F490FC3.jpeg

Edited by CastleCritic