world cruise 2022 tale of tales

poodle664

On 1/29/2022 at 10:41 PM, skyhoosier said:

Things are fine, only 3 positive passenger PCRs last time so the procedures are working.  Chile substituted panoramic bus tours for our excursions, keeping us in our own bubble and not allowing anyone off the buses or away from the authorized tours.  Most of the expedition team and entertainers had already quarantined prior to getting on last stop, so only those who hadn't, are isolating now. Weather was brilliantly sunny and warm yesterday but we are now getting further south so I hope they distribute the parkas soon!  All stops have had full provisioning so no one is running out of drinks or food!  As usual, the staff are beyond excellent.

Has there been any mid voyage testing or is it only when a country requires testing before first docking. Do you know if South Africa will require PCR’s before docking in Cape Town. SA currently requires a negative PCR to enter by plane or over a land border.

32 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Silver. I was informed that the next onboard testing is just before we get to Cape Town. Do not know which kind of testing. Last testing, before Punta Arenas, only ONE passenger tested positive.

Thanks for the update. Enjoy your many days at sea.

56 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

…but guests have not been allowed off to visit Grytviken as there is still some COVID onboard.

THAT would suck!

When was the last time passengers were allowed off the ship? Seems like it’s been days on end since they could get off and have a walkabout.

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

I see that the Whisper has reached South Georgia today, but guests have not been allowed off to visit Grytviken as there is still some COVID onboard.

A report above said they had only one Covid case as of a week ago. Surely that person is no longer contagious; have other people become ill? Are they required to have zero cases in order to go ashore? 

56 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

THAT would suck!

When was the last time passengers were allowed off the ship? Seems like it’s been days on end since they could get off and have a walkabout.

They were allowed ashore in the Antarctic about 3-4 days ago, and they will be allowed ashore in the uninhabited part of South Georgia tomorrow.

16 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

A report above said they had only one Covid case as of a week ago. Surely that person is no longer contagious; have other people become ill? Are they required to have zero cases in order to go ashore? 

Apparently the 14 people at Grytviken require the ship to be completely Covid free.

It seems like Silversea luxury cruising is a long way off reality if guests are only allowed ashore on uninhabited islands with nothing to see.Good luck to those onboard Hope things improve for the remainder of the World Cruise.

15 minutes ago, brimary said:

It seems like Silversea luxury cruising is a long way off reality if guests are only allowed ashore on uninhabited islands with nothing to see.Good luck to those onboard Hope things improve for the remainder of the World Cruise.

Very bizarre comment brimary.  " Uninhabited Islands with nothing to see "  -  you obviously havent been to Antarctica or South Georgia or other "uninhabited islands" in the South Atlantic.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

And it's only this one particular small settlement, with 14 inhabitants, that imposed this condition.

And if you are a small research community with no access to serious medical facilities, currently COVID free, why would you want anyone from a vessel that has any COVID cases in the last 14 days anywhere near you?

• Like 5

And another poor soul has just posted on FB that he is entering his second10 day isolation period. The first one for staying with his partner, the second for being positive. That’s 20 days in total, out of 50, cooped up in a suite! SS’s testing regimen seems to have failed miserably in isolating and eliminating COVID on the Whisper. Even with the inability to run shore visits, other than in enclosed buses, for the last 3+ weeks it’s still lurking and spreading.

7 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

And another poor soul has just posted on FB that he is entering his second10 day isolation period. The first one for staying with his partner, the second for being positive. That’s 20 days in total, out of 50, cooped up in a suite! SS’s testing regimen seems to have failed miserably in isolating and eliminating COVID on the Whisper. Even with the inability to run shore visits, other than in enclosed buses, for the last 3+ weeks it’s still lurking and spreading.

I was advised NOT to join my positive wife because of that very reason... Ie quarantine period would extend... And potentially for both. There was an Irish couple whom I spoken with during the Panama transit who ignored that advice. To the best of my knowledge they were allowed to fly home from Punta Arenas and have a feeling they were both allowed out the day we arrived in Valparaiso, which probably indicated he must have tested positive the day after they both went into quarantine and his positive was the start of the 10 days. I was aware of the suite number they were homed in quarantine and was going to call to give my best wishes, but thought better of it.

If the events in Ecuador and Chile are anything to go by and South Africa do need a PCR for entry, I suspect the same process may be adopted. ie arrive earlier than scheduled to be boarded and tested by the countries own testing staff, then next day results determined if you would be allowed in or sent to jail.

From friends left on board, as of a couple of days ago, Silver Moon was COVID free. That could now have changed given new guests arrived and DIY tours allowed in Uruguay.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

To those posting negative comments about Silversea WC 2022,  WHY?? I am having a fantastic time onboard, and with the times off the ship. 

Hope that wasn't aimed in my direction? I was merely suggesting that arrival in South Africa would probably follow the similar protocols you will be aware of in Manta Ecuador and Arica Chile. (ie arrive a day early for a PCR and then allowed access to the country for negative testers.)

Any news on that front? ie are you still scheduled to arrive at the same time and date originally scheduled? It could be its not needed it they have express PCR testing, which neither Ecuador or Chile had.

On 2/11/2022 at 11:25 AM, labrasett said:

Very bizarre comment brimary.  " Uninhabited Islands with nothing to see "  -  you obviously havent been to Antarctica or South Georgia or other "uninhabited islands" in the South Atlantic.

Just to correct your comment.....have sailed to Antarctica on two occasions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

To those posting negative comments about Silversea WC 2022,  WHY?? I am having a fantastic time onboard, and with the times off the ship. 

Do you know whether the ship will be allowed to stop at Tristan da Cunha or any of the other uninhabited islands as originally scheduled, as UK Government travel advice currently states that all visits by cruise ships have been banned.

6 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Do you know whether the ship will be allowed to stop at Tristan da Cunha or any of the other uninhabited islands as originally scheduled, as UK Government travel advice currently states that all visits by cruise ships have been banned.

Looks like I can answer my own questions, the Whisper is now ploughing through rough seas at the start of 10 straight sea days, due to arrive Cape Town on Feb 22nd.

• Thanks 1