"Upgraded Wines"

FoggyEthan

1 hour ago, Dukefan said:

We always have them remove the beer in the mini-bar and replace it with wine.  A couple of 750 ml bottles with some soda cans fits with no problem.

What are my options when asking them to fill the fridge? I'm guessing you mean a wine that you brought, rather than them putting a complementary bottle of their wine?

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

What are my options when asking them to fill the fridge? I'm guessing you mean a wine that you brought, rather than them putting a complementary bottle of their wine?

When I get into my room I put a note in the min-bar that says, "please adjust the mini bar to include 2 Scotch, 2 Gin, 2 cans of tonic (sugar free if available)b2 cans of club soda, 2 cans of Coke-Cola Light, 2 Bitter Lemon and 1 bottle of white wine instead of the beer."  Later that day or the next, the mini bar is set up as I requested.    If I don't particularly like the wine that put in the mini-bar, I leave it out with a note telling them that I did not like it and request they provide me with something else.  If I find a wine that I like on their list that id available by the glass, I request it.   Whenever, the bottle gets empty they give me another bottle.  Yes, it has always been complementary if you are in a room with a mini-bar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dukefan said:

When I get into my room I put a note in the min-bar that says, "please adjust the mini bar to include 2 Scotch, 2 Gin, 2 cans of tonic (sugar free if available)b2 cans of club soda, 2 cans of Coke-Cola Light, 2 Bitter Lemon and 1 bottle of white wine instead of the beer."  Later that day or the next, the mini bar is set up as I requested.    If I don't particularly like the wine that put in the mini-bar, I leave it out with a note telling them that I did not like it and request they provide me with something else.  If I find a wine that I like on their list that id available by the glass, I request it.   Whenever, the bottle gets empty they give me another bottle.  Yes, it has always been complementary if you are in a room with a mini-bar.

Wow, so you can take the free wine from your room anywhere on the ship and they'll serve it? That definitely seems like a workaround for the "free wine only with meals" rule.

2 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

Wow, so you can take the free wine from your room anywhere on the ship and they'll serve it? That definitely seems like a workaround for the "free wine only with meals" rule.

If you have a cabin with a mini bar you can take that drink any where on the ship.   I have never tried to leave my cabin with more than a glass of wine.   I believe if you took the whole bottle they give you out of your room and ask them to serve it to you, you would be taking advantage of Viking's hospitality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dukefan said:

If you have a cabin with a mini bar you can take that drink any where on the ship.   I have never tried to leave my cabin with more than a glass of wine.   I believe if you took the whole bottle they give you out of your room and ask them to serve it to you, you would be taking advantage of Viking's hospitality.

Okay, we will soon be on our first Viking cruise.  i am now somewhat confused about wines and mini bars.

question 1. We have a DV category cabin and did not think that any alcoholic beverages would be provided nor replaced in the mini bar?

question 2.  We are not wine snobs but—- i am a bit concerned hearing that the regular wine offerings and maybe even the upgraded SS package does not include great choices. Is it possible to find a wine list of what Viking offers?

question 3.  Is it acceptable for passengers to bring wine onboard at embarkation or from any ports?

thanks all,

Jan

1 minute ago, jmfdr said:

Okay, we will soon be on our first Viking cruise.  i am now somewhat confused about wines and mini bars.

question 1. We have a DV category cabin and did not think that any alcoholic beverages would be provided nor replaced in the mini bar?

question 2.  We are not wine snobs but—- i am a bit concerned hearing that the regular wine offerings and maybe even the upgraded SS package does not include great choices. Is it possible to find a wine list of what Viking offers?

question 3.  Is it acceptable for passengers to bring wine onboard at embarkation or from any ports?

thanks all,

Jan

1)  Alcholic Beverages are only included in the mini-bars on PV rooms and above.  These are the only rooms my comments are relevent to.  

2)  I have found the wine lists varies year to year and ship to ship.   You generally only really know what wines are available on your cruise when you get onboard.  That said, if you have reasonable knowledge on wines and are not driven by wine critics ratings you can almost always find some gems on their list, often adding some to by cellar when I get home (if my wine shop can get them).

3)You can bring any and all alcohol you want on a Viking ship.    If you have a special occasion and want to bring a first growth bordeaux - no problem, if you find a wine you like at a local wine store - no problem.   Viking has the best alcohol policy of any cruise line.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, jmfdr said:

thanks all,

Jan

I saw the wine list once and it did have more up-market wine options by the bottle. The SS package includes only wines by the glass, not wines by the bottle regardless of price. So you might be better off without the package and just buy wines by the bottle.

22 hours ago, BQEC said:

For the welcome back voyages Viking has apparently decided to release excursions for booking to the entire cruise according to their own schedule. (Not matching what your invoice say). 
I inquired and was told that availability for excursions for my sail date would be preceded by an email one day in advance for booking PDT time next day. 
That did happen as advertised. 

The Pacific Daylight/Standard time is important to note. Thank  You.

15 hours ago, jmfdr said:

thanks all,

Jan

The attached wine list is old (2018) and surely out of date for both vintages and prices, but may give you a point of reference. Cheers ... 🥌🍺🍷

Viking-Ocean-Cruises-Wine-List 2018.pdf

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dukefan said:

1)  Alcholic Beverages are only included in the mini-bars on PV rooms and above.  These are the only rooms my comments are relevent to.  

2)  I have found the wine lists varies year to year and ship to ship.   You generally only really know what wines are available on your cruise when you get onboard.  That said, if you have reasonable knowledge on wines and are not driven by wine critics ratings you can almost always find some gems on their list, often adding some to by cellar when I get home (if my wine shop can get them).

3)You can bring any and all alcohol you want on a Viking ship.    If you have a special occasion and want to bring a first growth bordeaux - no problem, if you find a wine you like at a local wine store - no problem.   Viking has the best alcohol policy of any cruise line.

Hope this helps.

Oh thank you, very helpful! 

22 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

The Pacific Daylight/Standard time is important to note. Thank  You.

You are most welcome. Next up seat selection. Can only be made once ticketed per Air+.

FoggyEthan, we are on the same July 13 sailing on Viking Jupiter. Can I count on you for wine recommendations 😀? I looked at the SSP but since only one of us in the cabin can drink alcohol, it wasn't worth it. But it sounds like if you want a good glass of wine, bring it on board with you.

4 hours ago, anaco_angler said:

FoggyEthan, we are on the same July 13 sailing on Viking Jupiter. Can I count on you for wine recommendations 😀? I looked at the SSP but since only one of us in the cabin can drink alcohol, it wasn't worth it. But it sounds like if you want a good glass of wine, bring it on board with you.

I'll know it when I taste it. 8-)  I guess I'll need to taste a lot of different wines!

• Like 1