"Upgraded Wines"

FoggyEthan

I should start by saying I'm a wine snob. It doesn't have to have a certain label or be super expensive. But I've looked through a few of the wines on full restaurant's menu and some on a Chef's Table menu. The full menu's not-included wines are mostly between $10 and $15 per bottle. The Chef's Table's upgraded wines were exactly the same price as the regular wines, also $10 to $15 per bottle. In my experience, to me, $25-$30 bottles are often much better than $10-$15. After that, more money often gets you less improvement.

Just wondering if I'm missing something. Is this just a thing where they want to create a "perception" of a higher tier or wine, but really it's all the same quality?

[EDIT: To clarify, when I talk about bottle prices, I mean prices to buy the wine at home from a wine store, not the prices on-board]

Edited by FoggyEthan
  • Like 2

I've often wondered if the upgrade offerings were all that big a deal as compared to included. We have always been satisfied with the included but don't know what we are missing. If the upgrades are "much nicer" that would be a consideration in choosing the bev. package.

hello all, we are booked on this cruise, September 7. I am just wondering if anyone knows if these cruises at 100% full when they say sold out? Or are they only selling at 50% capacity? 

Also, if I can sign up for our shore excursions on the 67th day, our 67th day is Friday, 

will I be able to get in at midnight Thursday? thanks for all the help! 

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

Just wondering if I'm missing something. Is this just a thing where they want to create a "perception" of a higher tier or wine, but really it's all the same quality?

We've been on 4 Viking cruises and have had the SS Package all 4 times. We experiment with a few different wines till we find what we like - and we always try a couple of the included wines for comparison.

We aren't experts but we know what we like and on all 4 cruises we found the SS Package wines to be more appealing to us. Of course taste is individual so just because we like something doesn't mean you will.

But to answer your primary question, yes we feel wines available through the SS Package are 'better' when compared to the included.

Of course we were last on board 2 years ago so things may have changed.

FYI - two of our favourites from our last cruise were the St Michelle Reisling (Columbia Valley, California) and the Overstone Piñon Noir (Hawkes Bay, NZ). 

I'm not sure what sort of price range they would be in, but they were very nice 🍷

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Little Monty said:

FYI - two of our favourites from our last cruise were the St Michelle Reisling (Columbia Valley, California). 

Ste. Michelle winery is just NE of Seattle in Woodinville, WA. While they use grapes from the Columbia Valley, it’s in Washington state, not California.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Little Monty said:

St Michelle Reisling

That's what was in my right hand in the profile pic.  😅

Edit: They go for about $7.50 a bottle in Costco.

Edited by Selion
  • Like 1

FoggyEthan, what you are not seeing is the difference between the included which can be pretty cheap and the SSP or wine by the glass wines.  The free included daily is one white and one red wine maybe rotated every 3 days.  One cruise we didn't get the SSP because my DH had a health challenge and wasn't drinking much.  Wine in PR is a lot more expensive then the US.  I knew some of the bottles they were pouring as house wine on that cruise and they were about the cheapest we could buy here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kerrfamily said:

hello all, we are booked on this cruise, September 7. I am just wondering if anyone knows if these cruises at 100% full when they say sold out? Or are they only selling at 50% capacity? 

Also, if I can sign up for our shore excursions on the 67th day, our 67th day is Friday, 

We are talking wine here.  What cruise?  What ship?  You should find your roll call by ship/date/ cruise. I.e. Iceland, Malta etc.  The early sailings of UK, Iceland and Bermuda sailed at reduced capacity but no one really knows what future ones will be.

1 hour ago, Little Monty said:

We've been on 4 Viking cruises and have had the SS Package all 4 times. We experiment with a few different wines till we find what we like - and we always try a couple of the included wines for comparison.

We aren't experts but we know what we like and on all 4 cruises we found the SS Package wines to be more appealing to us. Of course taste is individual so just because we like something doesn't mean you will.

But to answer your primary question, yes we feel wines available through the SS Package are 'better' when compared to the included.

Of course we were last on board 2 years ago so things may have changed.

FYI - two of our favourites from our last cruise were the St Michelle Reisling (Columbia Valley, California) and the Overstone Piñon Noir (Hawkes Bay, NZ). 

I'm not sure what sort of price range they would be in, but they were very nice 🍷

While certainly an "OK" wine, St Michelle Reisling is neither California nor particularly special. Certainly not worth $40/day.

12 minutes ago, duquephart said:

While certainly an "OK" wine, St Michelle Reisling is neither California nor particularly special. Certainly not worth $40/day.

Mate .. I don't know who you are and I have no interest in knowing.

I was trying to be helpful. The OP asked if the SS Wines are better than the included and in my opinion, yes they are.

It seems to me your only role in this Forum is to disagree with everyone about everything. I suggest you block me so you don't have to read any more of my posts, rest assured I will be blocking you.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

I should start by saying I'm a wine snob. It doesn't have to have a certain label or be super expensive. But I've looked through a few of the wines on full restaurant's menu and some on a Chef's Table menu. The full menu's not-included wines are mostly between $10 and $15 per bottle. The Chef's Table's upgraded wines were exactly the same price as the regular wines, also $10 to $15 per bottle. In my experience, to me, $25-$30 bottles are often much better than $10-$15. After that, more money often gets you less improvement.

[EDIT: To clarify, when I talk about bottle prices, I mean prices to buy the wine at home from a wine store, not the prices on-board]

Yes! We were really underwhelmed with Viking’s included wines, but when we checked into the “upgraded” wines on offer, they were all along the $10-15 price range you mentioned (at our local grocery store). And as you say, there really is a jump in quality when you get just a bit above that. 

It’s too bad, because we would definitely pay more for better wines, either through the drinks package or a la carte.

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Kerrfamily said:

For the welcome back voyages Viking has apparently decided to release excursions for booking to the entire cruise according to their own schedule. (Not matching what your invoice say). 
I inquired and was told that availability for excursions for my sail date would be preceded by an email one day in advance for booking PDT time next day. 
That did happen as advertised. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

It’s too bad, because we would definitely pay more for better wines, either through the drinks package or a la carte.

And the only option for choosing a better wine is to buy an entire bottle, at 15% off if one pays $40/day for the package. But at least they will keep it for you or let you bring it to your room, in case you don't finish it.

I've thought about the description of the Owner's Suite and how it has a private high-end wine library. I'm guessing those are not included for free in the nightly price. 8-)

My wife and I consider ourselves wine snobs too.  We have found the house wines to be okay and would never consider the SSP.  On all  of the voyages we have taken,  we always purchase some great wines in port and bring them onboard.  We drink the house wine for meals and crack open the good stuff in the evening.  We don't have a need for the cocktails so no reason to purchase an expensive drink package.  I realize this is not a solution for everyone but if you are just wine lovers, buy the good stuff in the ports and bring it onboard.   

• Like 2

There is no need to make the decision until you are onboard and can see/taste the current offerings.  

Buying onshore is an option if you are only wine drinkers but that would certainly depend on the itinerary.  Not a good idea for example for those currently in Iceland.

The wine list on Viking certainly included a larger percentage of wines from the USA than we would see on a restaurant menu, or in the supermarket,  in the UK.   That gives me a chance to try some rather than go for the wines from New Zealand, Australia, Spain, France and Italy that I am more familiar with.   I presume the reverse is true and gives those from the US a chance to try something different.

The package is worth it to me because I will also sample cocktails that I do not normally drink at home.  A lemon drop martini before dinner is a delight to me despite never having drunk one on land. A good cheese board deserves a glass of port or a robust red.

We are fortunate that we can make the choice that best suits our individual needs.   

• Like 5

A quick comment on the wine in the Owner’s suite: the wine collection is available to those in the suite and will be replenished. If you host a dinner in the suite, the wines are provided. 

52 minutes ago, Krisval said:

A quick comment on the wine in the Owner’s suite: the wine collection is available to those in the suite and will be replenished. If you host a dinner in the suite, the wines are provided. 

So it's all-you-can-drink included in the cabin price? That's pretty nice. Of course, it's quite a cabin price!

5 hours ago, beanpittsburgh said:

My wife and I consider ourselves wine snobs too.  We have found the house wines to be okay and would never consider the SSP.  On all  of the voyages we have taken,  we always purchase some great wines in port and bring them onboard.  We drink the house wine for meals and crack open the good stuff in the evening.  We don't have a need for the cocktails so no reason to purchase an expensive drink package.  I realize this is not a solution for everyone but if you are just wine lovers, buy the good stuff in the ports and bring it onboard.   

Good advice. Do you remember if the in-room fridge is big enough to hold a bottle of wine? 

50 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Good advice. Do you remember if the in-room fridge is big enough to hold a bottle of wine? 

We always have them remove the beer in the mini-bar and replace it with wine.  A couple of 750 ml bottles with some soda cans fits with no problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FolsomMike said:

Could someone name one or two of the included house wines so I could look them up for comparison?

They change every few days, and between cruises.  So what was on our cruise of South America may not be on your cruise in the Med.

Just now, Dukefan said:

We always have them remove the beer in the mini-bar and replace it with wine.  A couple of 750 ml bottles with some soda cans fits with no problem.

When we picked up wine in Chile before our South America cruise, we just laid a bottle on top of the stuff in the fridge.  On the days we started cooling down a bottle we brought on board, our cabin steward provided a wine set up for us without us needing to even ask.

• Like 1