Onboard Wi-Fi and multiple devices

FoggyEthan

27 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

I think I read somewhere that Viking only permits one device at a time to use the Wi-Fi, per cabin. Is this so? It seems like a real pain with two phones and a laptop.

Thanks!

-- Ethan

It's one device per person per cabin.  So if you want to use Wifi on your tablet or laptop, you need to disconnect your phone from it.

1 hour ago, zalusky said:

Can't you just tether through your phone.

You don't mentioned the kind of phone, but in order to use an iPhone as a personal hotspot it has to have a cellular connection.  

Just now, -Lew- said:

You don't mentioned the kind of phone, but in order to use an iPhone as a personal hotspot it has to have a cellular connection.  

And using their cellular can be pricey. Best to enable WiFi calling at sea 

32 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

And using their cellular can be pricey. Best to enable WiFi calling at sea 

We've used Whatsapp when onboard for texts and calls...no longer, however, due to Facebook's privacy intrusion regarding that app.  Signal, a comparable app well known for privacy features, should work well onboard.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, -Lew- said:

Yea but according to this if you tether to the phone via bluetooth you can share the wifi connection.

9 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

It's one device per person per cabin.  So if you want to use Wifi on your tablet or laptop, you need to disconnect your phone from it.

Thanks! I missed the "per person" part. We can make 2 work. 8-)

• Like 1

The whole idea behind the one device per person limit it is to preserve bandwidth for all the passengers and crew. ( I believe that Viking is one of the few, if not only cruise line that allows the crew to have free internet access)   Yes you can tether and work around the limit, but it seems to me be a selfish, greedy act.  As bandwidth is used up by those who evade the one device per person limit others will complain to guest services.  A possible Viking response would be to charge for internet access for each device to limit complaints and preserve bandwidth.  Please don't let that happen!

• Like 11