Protocols for Encore in Alaska.....

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I understand what you are saying but right now I'm looking at all the lines that are sailing to Alaska this fall and when I read what RCL just published about mandatory mask wearing it shocked me and made me wonder if NCL had published their protocols and I missed them. 

Believe me, I get that it's confusing, but knowing how each of the lines are handling the protocols may help people like me decide between which line to choose. Example, I will likely not select RCL at this time due to mandatory mask wearing. And the fact that NCL isn't allowing ANY children under 12 is a reason for me to select the Encore over the some of the others. 

So, for those of us who have yet to book, knowing the differences in protocols for how each cruise lines are starting up is very helpful to make an informed decision. Although I do agree, its confusing. 

It’s all a bit confusing now and will continue that way for a while.

I’m sailing out of Seattle twice this year, first on NCL (August 7) and then on Princess (September 5). Still waiting for final protocols for both. Princess hasn’t updated their CruiseHealth page since March 4, for cryin’ out loud. Although Jade passengers are getting their info soon, the protocols in Athens could be different from those in Seattle. So, it’s all still a bunch of question marks. 

When NCL releases info for the August 7 Encore cruise, someone will post the info here within milliseconds… 

Edited by coastcat

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I can't imagine why NCL would do that.

I don't think we're talking about the same NCL . . .

I am talking about the NCL that cancels a cruise only to shortly later reinstate the itinerary and jack up the prices . . .

I love sailing on NCL but you just can't trust them until you see it happen one way or the other right now. They don't have a good track record right now . . .

I do however hope that you are right . . .

• Like 1

I just wish NCL would post something, anything for at least the rest of 2021.  

First time cruising on NCL and Im finding it a bit perplexing they have cruises advertised for after Oct 31 2021, which they have no protocols announced. 

Thats not a good business strategy! - IMHO

Ive heard good things about them and the overall experience, so giving the benefit of the doubt.  

So, I really hope the rest of the NCL experience isnt like the first impression of "lack of communication."

The NCL rules for Alaska require Proof of Vaccination AND an ANTIGEN test before boarding.  That is the email I received for an August 2021 cruise.  I am only worried about False Positives coming from the Antigen Test and wish the Vaccination Proof was all that was required. I think other Cruise Lines from Seattle to Alaska are not requiring the Antigen test.  We are also required to wear masks in the Cruise Terminal and can only take them off once we are cleared to board.

I am not an expert on this subject, but I wonder if the Cruises that do not require proof of vaccination are attempting to comply with the State of Florida Rules?  Non-vaccinated people are NOT PROHIBITED from Cruising, they just require masks, social distancing, and the no admittance to certain areas.  Those that provide proof of vaccination do not face those restrictions.  So, proof of vaccination is not required, but those who voluntarily show your vaccination records will enjoy the cruise a lot more than those who do not want to show they have been vaccinated.  Their enjoyment on the cruise is significantly diminished?  Wouldn't that  discourage the non-vaccinated from cruising on that Ship?  Might achieve the same effect as being on a fully vaccinated cruise, but meet the Florida Regulation that prohibits a business from banning someone who is not vaccinated?    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

I just wish NCL would post something, anything for at least the rest of 2021.  

First time cruising on NCL and Im finding it a bit perplexing they have cruises advertised for after Oct 31 2021, which they have no protocols announced. 

Thats not a good business strategy! - IMHO

Ive heard good things about them and the overall experience, so giving the benefit of the doubt.  

So, I really hope the rest of the NCL experience isnt like the first impression of "lack of communication."

This is a constantly changing situation.  Who knows what things will look like after October?  It seems to me that advertising a policy and having to change it is worse than saying nothing.  I believe that NCL (and everybody else) HAD to come up with something for the initial cruises to satisfy the CDC.  Beyond that 'wait and see' seems like the prudent approach.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zerooveride said:

I don't think we're talking about the same NCL . . .

I am talking about the NCL that cancels a cruise only to shortly later reinstate the itinerary and jack up the prices . . .

I love sailing on NCL but you just can't trust them until you see it happen one way or the other right now. They don't have a good track record right now . . .

I do however hope that you are right . . .

I think we're talking about two different things.  @ChiefMateJRK suggested that he didn't think they would reverse their no-mask position, and I agree with that.  That would likely be bad business all around.  Pulling the switch-a-roo on planned sailings is good business for the bottom line but bad business for customer relations, so more of a mixed bag.  I'll give them somewhat of an excuse for the tremendous challenges of changing regulations and crew staffing challenges.  Others obviously will not...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 4:56 PM, zerooveride said:

Interesting what if . . .

Some of the Alaska sailings are past final payment. What if NCL changes it at the 21-day mark to requiring masks for everyone onboard? Will they allow penalty free cancellations seeing as they advertised it as mask free? Or will they do the usual oh well, we'll do what we want . . .

Me and my wife are fully vaccinated and we decided on this because we wouldn't need masks. We don't want to be on vacation and have to wear masks. It would ruin the fun escape a vacation is. Now I do realize in port it may be different, but I get that as NCL has no control over it.

Hoping they don't change their mind seeing as EVERYONE onboard will be vaccinated!

So it looks like my What if may be happening. Someone on the July 25th Jade sailing posted about mask requirements now while on board . . .

3 minutes ago, zerooveride said:

So it looks like my What if may be happening. Someone on the July 25th Jade sailing posted about mask requirements now while on board . . .

I wonder if this is an Athens thing and not an NCL thing?  That is disappointing though 

13 minutes ago, redsox1584 said:

I wonder if this is an Athens thing and not an NCL thing?  That is disappointing though 

I hope you are right. I spoke with my TA after hearing this disturbing news and luckily he said that if we get an e-mail like this to call right away. He hopes it's a Greece thing. He did say if it does change the requirements, the agency will take care of me . . . .

I have been fully vaccinated since April and have not worn a mask since mandates have been lifted. I do not have to wear one at home, why would I then want to wear one on vacation? That isn't a vacation.

I am all for masks for the unvaccinated, but am of the mindset that if you are unvaccinated and you don't wear a mask then it is on you if you get sick.

• Like 4

On 7/15/2021 at 4:24 PM, redsox1584 said:

I wonder if this is an Athens thing and not an NCL thing?

It's a Europe thing. I'm willing to wear a mask while on land, but while aboard a 100% vaccinated ship? That's a deal-breaker for me. I'm due to sale out of Athens in October, but...well, we'll see.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 9:14 PM, ecco41 said:

The NCL rules for Alaska require Proof of Vaccination AND an ANTIGEN test before boarding.  That is the email I received for an August 2021 cruise.  I am only worried about False Positives coming from the Antigen Test and wish the Vaccination Proof was all that was required. I think other Cruise Lines from Seattle to Alaska are not requiring the Antigen test.  We are also required to wear masks in the Cruise Terminal and can only take them off once we are cleared to board.

NCL Identified their COVID testing vendor (same one that Royal Caribbean uses of onboard testing). 

What is the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card?
The BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card is a type of test called an antigen test. Antigen tests are designed to detect proteins from the virus that causes COVID-19 in respiratory specimens, for example nasal swabs.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

NORWEGIAN ENCORE COVID-19 PRE-CRUISE TEST REGISTRATION

This communication applies to guests with a U.S. phone number and address only.

All international guests will complete pre-cruise test registration at the port.

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners:

Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has important information regarding sailings departing from Seattle aboard Norwegian Encore. Travel partners should share the below information with guests who may be affected. As you prepare for your upcoming sailing, we want to ensure that your embarkation process runs smoothly and inform you of the following important requirements for your cruise.

All guests will receive a COVID-19 antigen test upon arrival at the port and will wait in the terminal until results are received.

NCL has partnered with Eurofins as its test service provider (and data processor in this context) to perform laboratory services aimed at direct pathogen detection of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus.

• To speed up the COVID-19 testing process, we strongly encourage all guests to register with our testing provider, Eurofins, prior to embarkation.
  • Each guest must complete a registration and obtain a barcode registration ID.
  • A unique email address is required per guest.
  • Guests sharing an email address, follow the steps below to add a member within the same account.

To begin your COVID-19 test registration with Eurofins, click here (we recommend using Google Chrome for an optimal experience). First time users select “new patient.” Returning users, select “existing patient.”

Upon successful completion of the registration, you will receive a confirmation email from Eurofins My LabPort with your barcode registration ID attached. This barcode will need to be presented at the port. The confirmation email will also have instructions regarding how to activate your account and set your password.

In addition, your barcode registration ID can also be retrieved by logging into the Eurofins My LabPort site and clicking the profile icon on the top right, then select “manage profile.”

Guests who are denied embarkation or reboarding for failure to comply with Norwegian Cruise Line’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures will not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. For more information, please click here. As government regulations evolve, our health and safety protocols will evolve as needed to ensure compliance. This may mean different protocols from ship to ship based on local requirements. Policies and procedures are subject to change at any time.

For additional information about all you need to know to prepare for an amazing vacation ahead, click here. Thank you for your attention, and we look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Sincerely, Katty Byrd

Vice President, Guest Services

• Thanks 1

July 19 update: It's now 19 days until the first Encore sailing. As of now we have not been informed of any changes to the previously announced protocols:

• No masks onboard
  • No social distancing onboard
  • All restaurants are open
  • All facilities seem to be open
  • No restrictions on shore excursions
  • You set your arrival time; don't show up early.
  • All passengers will get an antigen test prior to boarding.

Some question marks:

• The buffet is... self-service? Full service? A combination thereof? We still don't know. The Sail Safe page states: "Dine in any of our restaurants mask-free, including our self-service buffet."
  • The Thermal Suite might or might not be available. It's never been available to book online and Spa cabins have been only sporadically available. I'll check when we board.
  • We had already been informed by email that reservations for entertainment would need to be booked onboard and any prior reservations would be cancelled. The summary on my eDocs (downloaded yesterday) still show a Choir of Man reservation. Since there is no social distancing I am assuming there will be no blocked-off theater seats but we'll see.
  • We've been given no information about restrictions in any of the Alaska ports.
  • Hopefully NCL will notify passengers that masks are required in transportation facilities, which include the Port of Seattle.

Pre-boarding tasks:

• At the 21-day mark you can complete the entire check-in; you can complete most parts before then but cannot finalize it until 21 days.
  • On day 21, the Health & Safety check-in section will include a "pre-boarding boat drill" video. Watch the whole thing (it's short) and that's it, you're done with check-in. I don't recall any instruction to check in at your muster station after boarding.
  • After you're checked in, you'll get an email in a day or so with instructions to pre-register for your embarkation antigen test. When you do so, the testing company will send you a barcode that they'll scan at the port.
Edited by coastcat
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, coastcat said:

July 19 update: It's now 19 days until the first Encore sailing. As of now we have not been informed of any changes to the previously announced protocols:

• No masks onboard
  • No social distancing onboard
  • All restaurants are open
  • All facilities seem to be open
  • No restrictions on shore excursions
  • You set your arrival time; don't show up early.
  • All passengers will get an antigen test prior to boarding.

Some question marks:

• The buffet is... self-service? Full service? A combination thereof? We still don't know. The Sail Safe page states: "Dine in any of our restaurants mask-free, including our self-service buffet."
  • The Thermal Suite might or might not be available. It's never been available to book online and Spa cabins have been only sporadically available. I'll check when we board.
  • We had already been informed by email that reservations for entertainment would need to be booked onboard and any prior reservations would be cancelled. The summary on my eDocs (downloaded yesterday) still show a Choir of Man reservation. Since there is no social distancing I am assuming there will be no blocked-off theater seats but we'll see.
  • We've been given no information about restrictions in any of the Alaska ports.
  • Hopefully NCL will notify passengers that masks are required in transportation facilities, which include the Port of Seattle.

Pre-boarding tasks:

• At the 21-day mark you can complete the entire check-in; you can complete most parts before then but cannot finalize it until 21 days.
  • On day 21, the Health & Safety check-in section will include a "pre-boarding boat drill" video. Watch the whole thing (it's short) and that's it, you're done with check-in. I don't recall any instruction to check in at your muster station after boarding.
  • After you're checked in, you'll get an email in a day or so with instructions to pre-register for your embarkation antigen test. When you do so, the testing company will send you a barcode that they'll scan at the port.

It sounds like the buffet will be normal. (see #32)  

218434468_3891331854312310_2141973409450725878_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=ZG0-K5g1QyAAX-17trr&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.fna&oh=40c91c17f9eb6fb00f2fe44161e53eb3&oe=60FB1D37

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mianmike said:

Sounds like no self-serve ("sanitization protocols"). That's what the NCL Embark restart videos have been saying. It's been working great on other cruise lines (photos below are from a Royal cruise a few weeks ago).  (Although you have to keep telling the server "more, more, more" when they try and put 2 strips of bacon on your plate at breakfast).

image.png.06e94482c4275d7246b8eb3e805e7ea2.png

image.png.46b10dfc2b0a640a534a716cdc2574e6.png

image.png.5a95e3c8ffe0cc06f66530370471fda1.png

Edited by BirdTravels

29 minutes ago, mianmike said:

218434468_3891331854312310_2141973409450725878_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=ZG0-K5g1QyAAX-17trr&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.fna&oh=40c91c17f9eb6fb00f2fe44161e53eb3&oe=60FB1D37

Which document/webpage is this? It'll make a lovely bit of light pre-cruise reading. 🙂

Not sure how I feel about the buffet remaining as is. On the one hand, having the staff serve all or most of the food items keeps grubby passenger hands off the pretzel rolls. On the other hand, at higher passenger capacities it could take a long time to get through breakfast.

10 minutes ago, coastcat said:

Which document/webpage is this? It'll make a lovely bit of light pre-cruise reading. 🙂

Not sure how I feel about the buffet remaining as is. On the one hand, having the staff serve all or most of the food items keeps grubby passenger hands off the pretzel rolls. On the other hand, at higher passenger capacities it could take a long time to get through breakfast.

It was a FAQ posted on a famous social media platform by a well known NCL cruiser. 

I've seen some atrocious hygiene behavior at the buffet.  I wouldn't mind being served by the crew, not one bit.  

May be an image of text

22 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Sounds like no self-serve ("sanitization protocols"). That's what the NCL Embark restart videos have been saying. It's been working great on other cruise lines (photos below are from a Royal cruise a few weeks ago).  (Although you have to keep telling the server "more, more, more" when they try and put 2 strips of bacon on your plate at breakfast).

image.png.06e94482c4275d7246b8eb3e805e7ea2.png

image.png.46b10dfc2b0a640a534a716cdc2574e6.png

image.png.5a95e3c8ffe0cc06f66530370471fda1.png

NCL's statement that buffets "will operate as they have in the past" infers to me self-serve since that is how they did it in the past, but as you say that conflicts with the Embark videos.  If I was to wager a bet, I'd side with crew serving guests.  They served us in the buffet during a norovirus breakout on the Joy Panama Canal cruise and again on the last sailing on the Gem before Covid shut everything down.  The crew serving food and drinks worked fine, although the crew needed a little more training in sanitation.  As an example the person handling drinks would refill people's mugs, hydro-flasks etc. by grabbing the container at the lip where a person's mouth had been.  That was her preferred way on handling drinkware which would work fine if she only handled clean glasses and mugs.  She wore gloves which we determined was for her protection not ours.  I suspect the crew will be much better prepared this time around.