Grand Cayman closed for cruisers till 2022

timbom

The Cayman Islands is finally reopening for tourism – with a multi-phased plan. 

Most notably, beginning in mid-October, vaccinated travelers will be able to visit Cayman without quarantine. Maybe travel there but not cruise ships?

Edited by dominichunter
add
  • Like 1

Following this story semi-closely.  We are sailing in April 2022 with GC on the itinerary.  I'll be interested to see if they can substitute or if they will rework the entire itinerary.  We are in Jamaica, GC, Cozumel in consecutive days in that order.  There isn't enough time to get from Jamaica to another port in one day and still have Cozumel the following day.

JH keeps getting asked about this on his page and he keeps saying they are working on it and will let us know as soon as possible.

I imagine if Grand Caymen is out Jamaica too so we will end up in some other closer ports.

Oh well, I guess.  Any day cruising is better than a day at work!

Cayman stated no cruise ships until January 2022.  I suspect Cozumel and Jamaica will be strong options for substitution.  Jamaica is the closest port - but not a good choice, in my opinion.  Roatan would be excellent, but that depends on the other ports of a ships itinerary.

• 2 months later...

I am on the Celebrity Edge Thanksgiving Cruise.  I've been reading about Grand Cayman not accepting cruises until 2022.  I have called Celebrity twice and they have said it's still on the itinerary.  I'm not sure why they would continue to say this when clearly they are not permitted to go there.  I've heard about Costa Maya as a replacement for other cruises, but Costa Maya is already one of our stops.  If anyone has any clue what Celebrity may do, thanks for that info.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/25/2021 at 8:55 PM, Trueblueky said:

Our Carnival cruise for April 2022 has just substituted Costa Maya for Grand Cayman. Other stops are Cozumel, Belize and Roatan.

I'm surprised my March 2022 cruise still has it listed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 11:41 AM, cmukid87 said:

Following this story semi-closely.  We are sailing in April 2022 with GC on the itinerary.  I'll be interested to see if they can substitute or if they will rework the entire itinerary.  We are in Jamaica, GC, Cozumel in consecutive days in that order.  There isn't enough time to get from Jamaica to another port in one day and still have Cozumel the following day.

On 12/25/2021 at 9:55 PM, Trueblueky said:

Our Carnival cruise for April 2022 has just substituted Costa Maya for Grand Cayman. Other stops are Cozumel, Belize and Roatan.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:56 AM, mara93 said:

I'm surprised my March 2022 cruise still has it listed. 

Some possible good news from a Cayman Government meeting yesterday.  Per the Government's website:

News

Updated COVID-19 Regulations

Published: February 17, 2022

Minister for Tourism and Transport underscored:

"The recent meeting with cruise tourism officials was fruitful and the cruise tourism sector in the Cayman Islands should get ready for “an exciting announcement next week”.