Decision date for Sept 25th cruises.

wowzz

It is now less than eleven weeks before Britannia and Iona recommence European cruises.

Over the next weeks, covid cases throughout Europe are expected to rise, due to the impact of holiday travel (cases are already increasing dramatically in Catalonia) making it unlikely that the various UK governments will significantly relax the current green, amber etc rules. 

So, how close to September 25th can P&O wait, before making a decision with regard to these cruises actually going ahead ? I would have thought four weeks would be the absolute minimum, meaning a decision in the last week of August. Will government advice change poitively in time for the cruises to be given the green light?

And, what would P&O then do with the ships if the decision was made to cancel the European cruises?  I guess they could try and keep Britannia occupied with more Seacations until she leaves for the Caribbean,  but what about Iona? Would there be a sufficent market to keep offering Seacations on her as well?

Obviously,  we can only speculate,  but I do sympathise with all those working in the planning departments of all cruiseclines at the present.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It is now less than eleven weeks before Britannia and Iona recommence European cruises.

Over the next weeks, covid cases throughout Europe are expected to rise, due to the impact of holiday travel (cases are already increasing dramatically in Catalonia) making it unlikely that the various UK governments will significantly relax the current green, amber etc rules. 

So, how close to September 25th can P&O wait, before making a decision with regard to these cruises actually going ahead ? I would have thought four weeks would be the absolute minimum, meaning a decision in the last week of August. Will government advice change poitively in time for the cruises to be given the green light?

And, what would P&O then do with the ships if the decision was made to cancel the European cruises?  I guess they could try and keep Britannia occupied with more Seacations until she leaves for the Caribbean,  but what about Iona? Would there be a sufficent market to keep offering Seacations on her as well?

Obviously,  we can only speculate,  but I do sympathise with all those working in the planning departments of all cruiseclines at the present.

I think the important thing for me at least is that COVID cases may be rising but hospitalisations are pretty okay.

So long as the cruise lines continue requiring the vaccine, I don't see them being cancelled. Some ports may be cancelled or changed though.

2 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I think the important thing for me at least is that COVID cases may be rising but hospitalisations are pretty okay.

So long as the cruise lines continue requiring the vaccine, I don't see them being cancelled. Some ports may be cancelled or changed though.

I agree about hospitalisations. 

However, until the government changes its advice about foreign cruises, UK cruises are all we are left with for the immediate future.

Just now, wowzz said:

I agree about hospitalisations. 

However, until the government changes its advice about foreign cruises, UK cruises are all we are left with for the immediate future.

I'm sailing (hopefully) on the NCL Epic in the med in September.

38 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I'm sailing (hopefully) on the NCL Epic in the med in September.

I thought that at present all cruise sailings from EU countries were restricted to Schengen area passengers only, and unless UK covid cases reduce significantly I doubt this will change.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought that at present all cruise sailings from EU countries were restricted to Schengen area passengers only, and unless UK covid cases reduce significantly I doubt this will change.

Nope. The UK government "advise" people don't go on cruises but it's not restricted at all. (except for that country's entry requirements)

Edited by ScratchTheRat

11 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Nope. The UK government "advise" people don't go on cruises but it's not restricted at all. (except for that country's entry requirements)

I thought it was the EU that had imposed this restriction  nothing to do with the UK FCDO advice.

18 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

But with that advice in place, you cannot get insurance, therefore cannot cruise. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But with that advice in place, you cannot get insurance, therefore cannot cruise. 

I have insurance and cruise cover. Guess I just have to take my chances. If they deny me boarding, I'll have to just go home and move the cruise.

I have insurance and cruise cover. Guess I just have to take my chances. If they deny me boarding, I'll have to just go home and move the cruise.

You have no cover at all, therefore, officially you will not be allowed to board the ship.

I would imagine that you will lose your fare, as the lack of insurance is of your making.

Edited by wowzz

You have no cover at all, therefore, officially you will not be allowed to board the ship.

I would imagine that you will lose your fare, as the lack of insurance is of your making.

What ARE you on about?

What ARE you on about?

As you are cruising against FCO advice, you have no insurance cover. As having insurance cover is a condition of going on the cruise, you will not be allowed on board.

As to getting a refund of your fare - I wouldn't bank on it.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

As you are cruising against FCO advice, you have no insurance cover. As having insurance cover is a condition of going on the cruise, you will not be allowed on board.

Norwegian are not requiring insurance to travel.

At this time, we expect each guest will need to provide the following:

• For cruises with embarkation dates through October 31, 2021, all guests must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at least 2 weeks prior to their sail date with an authorised vaccine;
  • Negative COVID-19 antigen test result prior to embarkation, which will be administered and paid for by cruise line;
  • Completed health questionnaire;
  • Typical travel documents, including passport or any visas as required by the departure country.
  • Any documentation required from the country the guest is travelling to, after the cruise. This could include but not be limited to proof of a specific negative COVID-19 test result. These requirements will vary by country and will be facilitated by Norwegian Cruise Line during the sailing at the guest's request.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Must admit my recent travel insurance renewal has a big bold warning printed on it saying that travel against FCDO advice will invalidate the policy.

• Like 1

Just now, terrierjohn said:

Must admit my recent travel insurance renewal has a big bold warning printed on it saying that travel against FCDO advice will invalidate the policy.

Indeed they all do yeah but NCL are not requiring insurance to board regardless.

1 minute ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Indeed they all do yeah but NCL are not requiring insurance to board regardless.

You have to hope then that the current EU embargo on non schengen passengers is not extended beyond the end of August then. As well as praying that you dont require medical evacuation from the ship, or indeed any other insurance claim.

• Like 1

Just now, terrierjohn said:

You have to hope then that the current EU embargo on non schengen passengers is not extended beyond the end of August then. As well as praying that you dont require medical evacuation from the ship, or indeed any other insurance claim.

If COVID has taught us anything it's that some risks are eventually necessary!

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Can you link me to the details on the EU Embargo? I haven't seen this! 🙂

6 minutes ago, Bobblehat71 said:

Just incase anyone needs it Staysure currently offer an add on to your policy that allows for travel against Covid related FCO advice . eg. It will cover you for travel to Amber/Red Countries . 

Does that also include cover for leisure travel, I thought it was just for business or essential travel.

Edited by terrierjohn

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Does that also include cover for leisure travel, I thought it was just for business or essential travel.

It covers you for leisure and part of why I booked it. It's a bit more expensive but worth it for the cover. I got annual cover including cruise, COVID and travelling against government advice for me AND my partner for £93