Which venue for best salads?

srb162

I've never associated Seabourn with great salads.  There is a decent salad bar at the Colonnade for lunch every day, but the components don't vary much, if at all.  There are also several pre-made salads on offer, and some are vegetarian/vegan.  There are salads on the menu at the various dining venues, some more interesting than others.

At the Patio Grill at lunch, I've ordered veggie burgers (potato-based) on many occasions.  I special requested (pre-ordered a couple of months in advance) the Impossible Burger and Beyond Burger once - but never again, those things are all salty, highly processed and unhealthy.

Things may have changed post-covid.  Perhaps someone currently on board can chime in?

BTW, if you are vegan and would like more information about SB's vegetarian/vegan choices, have you done a search on this board?  (I, for one, have made many comments on this topic in the past.)

Edited by sfvoyage
  • Like 1

Hello fellow salad cruiser.  I favor the Colonnade for do-it-yourself salads.  I often create my own salad there and bring it to join friends at the Patio Grille.   

• Thanks 1

We don't do buffets very often when cruising because we don't like them health wise or aesthetically. One thing I have missed on SB is the opportunity to order an entree size salad from a menu, like we can do in most restaurants.  This is such a small thing overall, but something I think about each time we cruise.  

One suggestion that might assist:   although it is not really a salad as such, one thing I have done regularly in The Restaurant is order a selection of the various vegetables on offer from the waiter for my entree.   On the waiter's tablet, there is a screen which lists all the vegetables which can be ordered as "sides" in addition to what is provided on the plate for whatever the menu item is.   I just take a look at what's on the tablet and ask for a side of this, a side of that, a side of something else, etc.   They arrive on separate plates and then I just put them all together on my plate with perhaps a splash of balsamic or the like.   I don't do it every night for sure, but it makes for a nice change and is reasonably healthy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2021 at 7:05 AM, srb162 said:

On Ovation tomorrow…. Menus barely mention salad. Any thoughts?

Also is the Vegan burger the Impossible burger or a real veggie burger?

You will enjoy the buffet at the Colonnade. It is fabulous. And if you don’t like serving yourself, you can be like my mom who tells the server to make her a salad and says what she wants in it, but you lose out on picking your faves and the proportions you want.  Don’t know about the IB because I don’t like it, but I would think that SB has it now.  

12 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Never had my request for a main course type salad refused on Seabourn.   Usually ask for shrimp or chicken to be added for protein.   It’s never been a problem.

Good to know.

We aren't big buffet fans and my wife prefers a salad at lunch quite often.   Seabourn would be better served having a selection of quality salad entrees at lunch. 

If they added a salad "station" at lunch say at the pool I bet it would be very popular.  The station could replicate customizable salad stores, making made to order salads with a selection of greens, ingredients and dressings. 

Seabourn does have a salad station by the pool, at least on the Ovation last week.   Have you sailed on Seabourn before?   They have the Patio and  “Earth and Ocean”.   I know the Patio is open for Lunch, not sure about the other.   You will not have a problem getting salads on Seabourn, sorry I don’t have pictures.

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Seabourn does have a salad station by the pool, at least on the Ovation last week.   Have you sailed on Seabourn before?   They have the Patio and  “Earth and Ocean”.   I know the Patio is open for Lunch, not sure about the other.   You will not have a problem getting salads on Seabourn, sorry I don’t have pictures.

I think the issue for some of us is that we don't do buffets and would like to see some truly extraordinary (perhaps signature) salads on the menus.  It's not a huge issue, but one thing I miss on Seabourn. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 7:23 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

I have not.  Planning a couple right now.  My impression from the thread was away from buffets & the Caesar Salad for lunch you mention there aren't many salad entrée options.  My recommendation was for a salad station with an attendant who makes a custom salad, not a buffet.   These salad "Chop" restaurants are very popular, only the restaurant staff handle the salad ingredients until it is made .

If Seabourn has this its wonderful to hear.

12 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I have not.  Planning a couple right now.  My impression from the thread was away from buffets & the Caesar Salad for lunch you mention there aren't many salad entrée options.  My recommendation was for a salad station with an attendant who makes a custom salad, not a buffet.   These salad "Chop" restaurants are very popular, only the restaurant staff handle the salad ingredients until it is made .

If Seabourn has this its wonderful to hear.

What I would really like are signature salads (instead of a mix and match sort of thing) where real thought has gone into something very special which is available on the menus all the time.  I am aware that a special request can be made, but that is hardly the same as everyone knowing that a wonderful entree salad is an option.  While I have made a few special requests from time to time, I really prefer to order something on the menu that the kitchen is accustomed to making and is proud of.  

• 2 weeks later...