Need some guidance on booking Panorama. New to West Coast sailing

amanda219

10 hours ago, klfhngr said:

Mazatlan: I highly suggest Stone Island, we all loved it. We've been there on 4 or so cruises and have taken others there. They have all loved it. Hang out at Lety's (Victor's used to be the spot, but word is that he's no longer open, he comes and goes). At Stone, you can do a lot of water sports and ATV. ATV's here are cheap, and you can ride all over the beach! Waiters at Lety's can hook you up. You can also do a banana boat here, jet ski, parasail, etc.! Very active place and also a great place to chill. Food is the BOMB and cheap!!! Head back to the ship an hour or so early and hang out at the bars by the ship or shop!

This is exactly what we do...walk to the water taxi and head over to Stone Island. Im always afraid to tell people to go to Letys because I don't want it to get too crowded. Mmmm coconut shrimp...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 7/25/2021 at 9:38 PM, IntrepidFromDC said:

In Cabo San Lucas there is an excursion where you take an ATV from town to a HUGE hole in the earth where a meteor struck and you get to go round and round the meteor hole like you are a pea being swished around in a bowl.  One of the most amazing experiences I've ever had.

@IntrepidFromDC did you book through the ship or book it on our own?  Just read your comment to my kids and they were like - SO COOL and we wanna do that.

We too are looking for ATV and Jet Ski excursions.  My kids will be 18 and 22 so paying for 4 adults through the ship gets costly.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, jsjjkelly said:

@IntrepidFromDC did you book through the ship or book it on our own?  Just read your comment to my kids and they were like - SO COOL and we wanna do that.

We too are looking for ATV and Jet Ski excursions.  My kids will be 18 and 22 so paying for 4 adults through the ship gets costly.  Thanks!

The jet skis can be rented right on the beach in port, no need for an excursion. There are plenty of options. Some you can even negotiate the price and it's cheaper in pesos. The ATV excursions are available both through ship and through private third party vendors that can be looked up at each port or through places like Viator or various local excursion outfitters with an online presence.     

12 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

The jet skis can be rented right on the beach in port, no need for an excursion. There are plenty of options. Some you can even negotiate the price and it's cheaper in pesos. The ATV excursions are available both through ship and through private third party vendors that can be looked up at each port or through places like Viator or various local excursion outfitters with an online presence.     

Thanks for this!  I'm one of those planners that like to have it arranged before we get there.   I was hoping he had the company they used for going to the meteor hole! 

• Like 1

It will be really, really hot in August/Early Sept but if you don't mind 90 degrees with 90% humidity, you will love it.  The mexican ports on the pacific side are really fun with lots of great adventures, food and drinks.  We don't do many water activities either so maybe that's why we love to cruise out of CA.

Cabo has a fun, cheezy beach bar named Mango Deck and we always hit that up for a while to see the fun they are having and you can sit right on the beach.  We get off the tender, hire a panga boat to take us out to the arch  with a nice ocean ride and then drop us off on Medano beach where you can bar/restaurant hop then do some shopping.  There's shopping all around the marina - grab a taxi from medano beach to the marina and then you can just walk back to the tender area when you're ready to leave.

The Blue Shrimp on the malecon in Puerto Vallarta has lobster the size of your arm and shrimp that are as big as normal lobsters - amazing seafood in this area!

LAX, Orange County or Long Beach are all convenient airports.  Long beach is really small, like 8 gates total so really easy to navigate and about 15 min from the port area. We use uber/lyft as transportation with no issues in the past.  If you're booking the other airports, I would allow about 1.5 hours after plan lands to be at your destination depending on time of day and traffic.

Good Luck planning!

On 7/26/2021 at 12:07 AM, Applealex said:

LOL Long Beach airport is like 10 miles from the port, ~15 minutes away by car. Not to mention WAY more convenient than the nightmare that is LAX. Just thinking about that dreaded horseshoe *shudders*

I could not agree more.  We are on the west coast so have done many cruises out of Long Beach (and fly to/from southern California quite a bit in general) and I avoid LAX if at all possible.  It usually costs me a bit more to fly into Long Beach, but it is sooo worth it.  LAX is such a nightmare and not as convenient if you are planning to use Uber/Lyft form the airport (you have to either walk about 15 - 20 minutes or take a shuttle to their "rideshare" lot).  ...And don't even get me started on the traffic. 🙂