If you buy insurance at final payment with waived pre existing conditions do you have to cover the whole amount? Can you cover less (like$500) to put you in a lower cost bracket? And if you have to cancel you can just pay whatever amount you didn't cover?

Laura

9 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

If you buy insurance at final payment with waived pre existing conditions do you have to cover the whole amount? Can you cover less (like $500) to put you in a lower cost bracket? And if you have to cancel you can just pay whatever amount you didn't cover?

Laura

Hi Laura,

The only plans I know that allow pre-existing condition coverage for the travelers themselves if bought at final payment require you to insure 100% of your trip’s full prepaid non-refundable trip cost.

Who has the pre-existing condition? One of you, a traveling companion or a non-traveling family member?

Steve Dasseos

9 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Laura,

The only plans I know that allow pre-existing condition coverage for the travelers themselves if bought at final payment require you to insure 100% of your trip’s full prepaid non-refundable trip cost.

Who has the pre-existing condition? One of you, a traveling companion or a non-traveling family member?

Steve Dasseos

My husband has had heart attacks in the past and are on meds. ( non traveling family member). I take meds for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. 

9 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

My husband has had heart attacks in the past and are on meds. ( non traveling family member). I take meds for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. 

Have either of you changed prescriptions or had medication dosage changes in the last 180 days?

45 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Have either of you changed prescriptions or had medication dosage changes in the last 180 days?

No. I don't know my traveling partner health history.

Laura

Edited by Laurab23

On 7/29/2021 at 5:43 PM, Laurab23 said:

No. I don't know my traveling partner health history.

Laura

Hi Laura,

The reason I'm asking is because the Lookback Period defines a Pre-Existing Medical Condition. This page explains the Pre-Existing Medical Condition Lookback Period:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-pre-existing-medical-condition-lookback-period/

You originally said:

"If you buy insurance at final payment with waived pre existing conditions do you have to cover the whole amount? Can you cover less (like $500) to put you in a lower cost bracket? And if you have to cancel you can just pay whatever amount you didn't cover?"

If your traveling partner changed prescriptions or had medication dosage changes in the last 180 days, then you will have to insure 100% of your per person prepaid non-refundable trip costs. However, if your traveling partner has nothing that's defined as a Pre-Existing Medical Condition (https://tripinsurancestore.com/how-travel-insurance-pre-existing-medical-conditions-coverage-works/), then you can insure a smaller trip cost.

I hope this made sense.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, vermonter16 said:

When I look at the waiver for preexisting conditions all the companies say that you had to buy at initial deposit, it used to be final payment but it seems that no longer applies.

Hi vermonter16,

There are a few companies that cover preexisting conditions when bought by final payment.

Steve Dasseos