Upselling yourself & PVP questions

First - re: PVP. I have one assigned to me - I've used him before but mostly book on-line or through an agency when using Hilton Honors points. He used to call when he saw me perusing the website. However, he HAS NOT contacted me once recently, and I booked on-line 3 or so months ago and have visited the website often. Can I safely assume that he is no longer with the company and I should find a new PVP?

Secondly, I have been watching rates on my sailing drop like a stone. I am booked in interior with a Cheers rate (the very best one)! DH and I are not heavy drinkers, but it cost so little on this booking, and we have been looking forward to the small things such as coffee bar every morning, bottled water without pre-purchasing and not having to lug on our 2 bottles of wine. Also have been perusing menus looking at new drinks to try!

HOWEVER, rates now are such that balconies are selling for less than what we paid (sans Cheers rate). Spa balconies are selling for just above what we paid (also sans Cheers). Does Carnival allow for changing rooms? I realize that I will lose my Cheers rate and I am okay with that. I'm guessing that I would get nothing back for the difference in booking a regular balcony, and if we chose the spa balcony I would owe a small balance. Before calling Carnival I wanted to see if anyone here has ever "upsold" themselves? (I realize that the answer that I get from the first person I call may necessitate a second call to a different person 😏).

Looking for your personal experiences on this one. Thanks for reading!

4 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

First - re: PVP. I have one assigned to me - I've used him before but mostly book on-line or through an agency when using Hilton Honors points. He used to call when he saw me perusing the website. However, he HAS NOT contacted me once recently, and I booked on-line 3 or so months ago and have visited the website often. Can I safely assume that he is no longer with the company and I should find a new PVP?

Secondly, I have been watching rates on my sailing drop like a stone. I am booked in interior with a Cheers rate (the very best one)! DH and I are not heavy drinkers, but it cost so little on this booking, and we have been looking forward to the small things such as coffee bar every morning, bottled water without pre-purchasing and not having to lug on our 2 bottles of wine. Also have been perusing menus looking at new drinks to try!

HOWEVER, rates now are such that balconies are selling for less than what we paid (sans Cheers rate). Spa balconies are selling for just above what we paid (also sans Cheers). Does Carnival allow for changing rooms? I realize that I will lose my Cheers rate and I am okay with that. I'm guessing that I would get nothing back for the difference in booking a regular balcony, and if we chose the spa balcony I would owe a small balance. Before calling Carnival I wanted to see if anyone here has ever "upsold" themselves? (I realize that the answer that I get from the first person I call may necessitate a second call to a different person 😏).

Looking for your personal experiences on this one. Thanks for reading!

The first PVP we had, who was the best of the now bunch we would contact me if I was on the Carnival site "browsing" and we'd chat, several times to then book a cruise. But the folks after, him and my current PVP, I never heard/hear from unless I reach out. A couple of times last year during the pandemic mess I also thought she was gone, but responded when I reached out. Possible the only way to know for sure is to maybe reach out..

I think we did what you are asking about with the self "upselling" a few years ago on a Pride cruise. We had booked a 4K cabin which are the ones I call lifeboat view cabins, basically balcony cabins without the balcony and an awesome view directly into a lifeboat....but I digress. Shortly before that cruise, same thing, rates started to come down significantly. We changed from the 4K to a TBD balcony for less than the 4K, which was considered an interior. Closer to the cruise sail date, we were assigned our cabin, an extended balcony cabin on deck 5...which we thought was pretty awesome for what we paid. After getting our cabin, rates dropped 3 MORE TIMES before the cruise...we worked with our then PVP to get all the price drops, each time we "risked" being assigned another cabin, but we kept the cabin for a noticeably lower rate than we booked at, and had nice sign and sail (OBC) balance when we sailed, so I think thats what you're asking?

• Like 1

My cheers promo can no longer be booked so no matter what, I'm not price  matching as I dont want to lose cheers. Cheers is part of the rate. I guess it depends of you would prefer a balcony or cheers and if you originally booked early saver etc. Cheers rate says its nonrefundable so idk, but I'm keeping mine. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My cheers promo can no longer be booked so no matter what, I'm not price  matching as I dont want to lose cheers. Cheers is part of the rate. I guess it depends of you would prefer a balcony or cheers and if you originally booked early saver etc. Cheers rate says its nonrefundable so idk, but I'm keeping mine. 

Right - there is currently a cheers offer to be booked, but it would cost me over $1000 for the two of us if I wanted to change rooms + keep cheers. That's a nope from me. We've never had Cheers before - but we also rarely book balconies, preferring to book interior and take more cruises! Hard to know which to choose - and added benefit to spa balcony is the thermal suite, which we also would never normally book.

• Thanks 1

You should be able to upgrade your room NP, we do it all the time before we cruise, if your new room is less you should get the balance back as OBC.  If it cost more you would owe.

You would need to decide on what rates and what is included (cheers or not) work for you.

Yes, I would ask for a new PVP and try that for sure!  Wish I could give you my guys name but not allowed.  HE is the BEST

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, wemjam said:

You should be able to upgrade your room NP, we do it all the time before we cruise, if your new room is less you should get the balance back as OBC.  If it cost more you would owe.

You would need to decide on what rates and what is included (cheers or not) work for you.

Yes, I would ask for a new PVP and try that for sure!  Wish I could give you my guys name but not allowed.  HE is the BEST

For a fee or for free? I was told any changes would incur a fee, even an upgrade (self initiated). Are these free upgrades you're referring to Carnival initiated upgrades or you deciding you want a better cabin and calling in? 

26 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

For a fee or for free? I was told any changes would incur a fee, even an upgrade (self initiated). Are these free upgrades you're referring to Carnival initiated upgrades or you deciding you want a better cabin and calling in? 

I am referring to me wanting to go to a better room and deciding to upgrade to it.  NOW I will say this, I use an AWESOME PVP, so since I am upgrading and usually spending more money he gets any "fees" waived and gets it put through for me.  He has also gotten them to waive fees and allowed me to upgrade even when the room was slightly cheaper and I just got back OBC for the difference.  We are diamond and he knows that we cruise quite frequently and works hard to keep us happy.  It all depends on who you are working with I guess.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wemjam said:

I am referring to me wanting to go to a better room and deciding to upgrade to it.  NOW I will say this, I use an AWESOME PVP, so since I am upgrading and usually spending more money he gets any "fees" waived and gets it put through for me.  He has also gotten them to waive fees and allowed me to upgrade even when the room was slightly cheaper and I just got back OBC for the difference.  We are diamond and he knows that we cruise quite frequently and works hard to keep us happy.  It all depends on who you are working with I guess.

PS:  There may or may not be fees, it just depends on what your rate rules say, but even with a small fee you could still come out further ahead!  I would just call and ask them.  Usually if you are upgrading and spending more there are no issues.  They are all to happy to take more of your money

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1