Question regarding Covid Test for US Cruises

atabs12

Hello,

Is a covid test required in order to reenter the US for vaccinated passengers? I understand things are very fluid right now. We are scheduled to cruise in 2 weeks out of Galveston. I could not find that info online. Thank you 

Are you a foreigner or are you asking if on a cruise specifically if its required. On a closed loop cruise it's not required. Flying in may be a different answer. 

If your question is can I cruise out of Galveston vaccinated and not be tested, right now the answer is yes. It's different for flying in and out of the country.

Edited by firefly333
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, atabs12 said:

Hello,

Is a covid test required in order to reenter the US for vaccinated passengers? I understand things are very fluid right now. We are scheduled to cruise in 2 weeks out of Galveston. I could not find that info online. Thank you 

No, only if you’re doing a back to back do you require testing. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Are you a foreigner or are you asking if on a cruise specifically it required. On a closed loop cruise it's not required. Flying in may be a different answer. 

Nope...Texan here. No flying required for me. Thanks for clarifying 😀. Was not sure if it is required. I am just asking because I follow some cruise bloggers and they were talking about a test done within 72 hours before getting back to US so I was not sure. Could be that they were flying though. I appreciate the info . 

1 minute ago, atabs12 said:

Nope...Texan here. No flying required for me. Thanks for clarifying 😀. Was not sure if it is required. I am just asking because I follow some cruise bloggers and they were talking about a test done within 72 hours before getting back to US so I was not sure. Could be that they were flying though. I appreciate the info . 

Rcl is requiring a covid test to board. Maybe the answer wasnt specific to carnival. So far carnival doesnt require it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atabs12 said:

I am just asking because I follow some cruise bloggers and they were talking about a test done within 72 hours before getting back to US so I was not sure.

That is indeed the current requirement for anyone flying into the US.  Does not apply to cruise ships - though some cruise lines may implement testing regimes as they see fit.

Carnival does not require anyone vaxxed to get tested, unless someone in their party (who is unvaxxed) tests positive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Related said:

No, only if you’re doing a back to back do you require testing. 

This is correct.  I'm sailing on the 10/31/21 Pride Journeys (14-night) cruise and am required to get the PCR test.  The difficulty is knowing the time that Carnival is pegging for counting back 72 hours:  from day of cruise, from embarkation time or time of sailing out of port.  Received these three answers when I called Carnival.  

3 minutes ago, JHU said:

This is correct.  I'm sailing on the 10/31/21 Pride Journeys (14-night) cruise and am required to get the PCR test.  The difficulty is knowing the time that Carnival is pegging for counting back 72 hours:  from day of cruise, from embarkation time or time of sailing out of port.  Received these three answers when I called Carnival.  

As far as I know the testing was done on the actual day the cruise turned over. 

3 minutes ago, Cruise Related said:

As far as I know the testing was done on the actual day the cruise turned over. 

That's a different test.  The PCR test I referenced is required to be taken 72 to 24 hours prior to the cruise.  My fingers are crossed for a quick turnaround for the test results.  Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to my first (since 1978) Carnival cruise (and from my home port).  

14 minutes ago, JHU said:

That's a different test.  The PCR test I referenced is required to be taken 72 to 24 hours prior to the cruise.  My fingers are crossed for a quick turnaround for the test results.  Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to my first (since 1978) Carnival cruise (and from my home port).  

Oopsie! My bad. So hard to keep up with everything these days. 

Just now, Cruise Related said:

Oopsie! My bad. So hard to keep up with everything these days. 

No worry.  We're three months away and 'things' will continue to evolve.

1 hour ago, camper49 said:

Do we get tested on the ship after the first of our back to back? At our own expense? 

On the horizon it was the day of the 2nd cruise. And you had yo get off the ship and get tested in the terminal. Now I’m hearing as far as Mardi Gras goes, it’ll be the day before the 2nd cruise while on the ship. Not sure about expense. I’m assuming carnival covers it. 

16 hours ago, Cruise Related said:

On the horizon it was the day of the 2nd cruise. And you had yo get off the ship and get tested in the terminal. Now I’m hearing as far as Mardi Gras goes, it’ll be the day before the 2nd cruise while on the ship. Not sure about expense. I’m assuming carnival covers it. 

Carnival covers the cost for this test.