Mardi Gras pools: salt or chlorine?

croix153

I don’t know about that. Ive been on two royal cruises, two carnival cruises, and one Norwegian cruise. The Norwegian (epic) was all fresh water, one royal ship (freedom) was fresh water, one royal ship (mariner) was salt, and all the carnivals have been salt. 

Regardless of whether the pool uses fresh water or salt water, it will almost always be chlorinated.  Pools that use the "flow through" method will pump sea water in to the pool, constantly, and the excess overflows into the perimeter gutters and goes overboard.  These pools do not need to be chlorinated, but you cannot have a "flow through" pool within 12 miles of land.  Once within 12 miles of land, a salt water pool will either be drained, or switched to "recirculation" mode.  In this mode, a salt water pool is exactly the same as a fresh water pool, and needs to be chlorinated continually, and a residual chlorine content of between 1 to 5 ppm of chlorine.  Since obtaining this level of chlorine takes time, if a salt water pool is switched from "flow through" to "recirculation", it will need to be closed from the time the recirculation is started until the chlorine content shows a steady, acceptable level.  For this reason, most ships don't use the flow through method, even when they use sea water in the pool, unless the ship has 2 or more sea days consecutively, to make the savings on chlorine worth the down time on the pool.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, jsantull said:

Does anyone happen to know the hours for the pool/hot tubs? I don't see them on the FunTimes that have been posted. 

Thanks!

To be honest, I'm not sure they have "schedules" so much as the keep them open until no-one is using them any more, unless a specific cleaning is required.  i.e. they are open until they are closed.

But maybe they do shut them down at set times?

45 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

To be honest, I'm not sure they have "schedules" so much as the keep them open until no-one is using them any more, unless a specific cleaning is required.  i.e. they are open until they are closed.

on the ships ive been on. the only thing they do at night is just put a net over the pool so you can not go into the pool

1 hour ago, jsantull said:

Does anyone happen to know the hours for the pool/hot tubs? I don't see them on the FunTimes that have been posted. 

Thanks!

it is usually something like 8am to 10-11pm 

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

We have been told please leave, because the hot tubs are closing, several times in the past.

Edited by AtSeaWithChris