3rd doses in Quebec for traveling

archer_310

22 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I'd like to think that this is just another case of a Celebrity employee providing inaccurate information, but hopefully a response from the CDC will help clarify the situation.

I hope you are right, but that was the response I received after I escalated the question to the executive office.

On 8/4/2021 at 9:27 PM, archer_310 said:

I've contacted the Quebec health agency and they indicated that you had to live or work in Quebec in order to get a 3rd dose for traveling.  I'm from Ontario.  Does anyone from Quebec know if this is accurate and if there is a way for someone from another province to get a 3rd dose?  I need to get one by this Sunday or we have to cancel our upcoming cruise.

I know this may be late bit late but in NB and NS (I assumed all provinces were the same) as long as you had proof you were a Canadian citizen, they would give you a vaccine. In fact, I know a guy who travelled to NS for this very reason and successfully got a 3rd dose. I stopped by Costco the other day and asked them if they'd give one to a "friend" who is here from another province and what he'd need to get it. A form of government ID is all they want.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

I know this may be late bit late but in NB and NS (I assumed all provinces were the same) as long as you had proof you were a Canadian citizen, they would give you a vaccine. In fact, I know a guy who travelled to NS for this very reason and successfully got a 3rd dose. I stopped by Costco the other day and asked them if they'd give one to a "friend" who is here from another province and what he'd need to get it. A form of government ID is all they want.  

This is not the route I took, in the end, but it was one I seriously considered.  The whole reason I ended up with mixed doses, against my better judgement, was so that I would be fully vaccinated in time to travel to Nova Scotia earlier this month.  Otherwise, I would have just waited a few weeks until I was sure Pfizer was available.

I'm almost certain that if I had walked into a clinic in Nova Scotia while I was there, told them that I was a temporary resident (true, depending on how you want to define it), that I'd had a first dose in Ontario in May, and that wanted another shot, they would have given it to me.  The provinces do not have the means to directly share medical information, so there would be no way for one province to know if someone had already had a second shot in another jurisdiction, unless you told them.

And yes, I think this would work in any province.  Where it would probably not work is for those of us in Ottawa, or other border communities, simply driving a short distance across the border.  Pretty sure if I tried that in Gatineau, they would just tell me to go home and get my shot in Ontario.  😉

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mabt said:

I'm almost certain that if I had walked into a clinic in Nova Scotia while I was there, told them that I was a temporary resident (true, depending on how you want to define it), that I'd had a first dose in Ontario in May, and that wanted another shot, they would have given it to me. 

Yep, guaranteed they would...... so my friend told me.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mabt said:

This is not the route I took, in the end, but it was one I seriously considered.  The whole reason I ended up with mixed doses, against my better judgement, was so that I would be fully vaccinated in time to travel to Nova Scotia earlier this month.  Otherwise, I would have just waited a few weeks until I was sure Pfizer was available.

I'm almost certain that if I had walked into a clinic in Nova Scotia while I was there, told them that I was a temporary resident (true, depending on how you want to define it), that I'd had a first dose in Ontario in May, and that wanted another shot, they would have given it to me.  The provinces do not have the means to directly share medical information, so there would be no way for one province to know if someone had already had a second shot in another jurisdiction, unless you told them.

And yes, I think this would work in any province.  Where it would probably not work is for those of us in Ottawa, or other border communities, simply driving a short distance across the border.  Pretty sure if I tried that in Gatineau, they would just tell me to go home and get my shot in Ontario.  😉

As Québec has established an "official" 3rd dose program, it has governing rules. You must be a resident or work there, but how carefully they check is another question.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

As Québec has established an "official" 3rd dose program, it has governing rules. You must be a resident or work there, but how carefully they check is another question.

They check.  At least in Gatineau.  I had "proof" of residency in the form of a signed and valid lease agreement. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mabt said:

They check.  At least in Gatineau.  I had "proof" of residency in the form of a signed and valid lease agreement. 

Yet some have posted that in Montreal there were no questions asked. Maybe they are just more careful in the Outaouais area, knowing all those sneaky Ontarians would try to take advantage! 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Yet some have posted that in Montreal there were no questions asked. Maybe they are just more careful in the Outaouais area, knowing all those sneaky Ontarians would try to take advantage! 😇

Could be.  A friend in Montreal who still carries Ontario ID told me that they were utterly uninterested in her proof of residency, but that was for the first two shots.  All I can say for sure is that in Gatineau I had to pull out that lease at least three times!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Are you referring to 1st and 2nd doses?  Or are you saying that I could just go to NB or NS and say I wanted a Moderna dose and they would give it to me no questions asked?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

Are you referring to 1st and 2nd doses?  Or are you saying that I could just go to NB or NS and say I wanted a Moderna dose and they would give it to me no questions asked?

Yes, indeed they will. Just make sure you have ID proving you are a Canadian citizen.

13 hours ago, archer_310 said:

I would say most likely any other province, although I can't speak to it firsthand.  But all provinces have been giving vaccines to any resident, temporary or otherwise, with or without health coverage in the province.  The last thing they want is to exclude or discourage someone from getting vaccinated just because they aren't locally documented.

Just don't tell them it's a third dose.

15 hours ago, mabt said:

I would say most likely any other province, although I can't speak to it firsthand.  But all provinces have been giving vaccines to any resident, temporary or otherwise, with or without health coverage in the province.  The last thing they want is to exclude or discourage someone from getting vaccinated just because they aren't locally documented.

Just don't tell them it's a third dose.

Bingo! Tell them its your second dose of Pfizer/Moderna and it will show up on the card that way.

For those that are booked with Carnival and have AZ/Pfizer or Moderna

Just listened to John Heald's morning video and he said that they are looking into booster shots, and specifically for Canadians with AZ/Pfizer or Moderna mixes.

He didn't go into a lot of detail but I would be concerned for those getting 3rd doses in the hopes they would be considered vaccinated...

Here is the response I received from the CDC this week when I asked about vaccines

Here is how I interpret this after getting AZ/M is that my first dose AZ is not FDA approved but my 2nd M is FDA approved which means I restarted the series.  The  shot of M now becomes my first dose which basically whips out the AZ shot.   So all i now need is another M shot.  Thoughts:

Thank you for contacting CDC-INFO.

Here is the information you requested on Covid-19 vaccine.

If you received all recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine that has been authorized for emergency use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or is listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization (WHO), then you do not need any additional doses of COVID-19 vaccine. This currently includes the following vaccines:

• Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine
  • Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine
  • Johnson and Johnson's Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine
  • AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine
  • Sinopharm COVID-19 Vaccine
  • Sinovac-CoronaVac COVID-19 Vaccine

If you received a COVID-19 vaccine that is not authorized by FDA or listed for emergency use by WHO, you may start over with an FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine. If you did not receive all recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine that is listed for emergency use by WHO but is not FDA-authorized, you may start over with an FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine.

13 minutes ago, schiff1997 said:

Here is the response I received from the CDC this week when I asked about vaccines

Here is how I interpret this after getting AZ/M is that my first dose AZ is not FDA approved but my 2nd M is FDA approved which means I restarted the series.  The  shot of M now becomes my first dose which basically whips out the AZ shot.   So all i now need is another M shot.  Thoughts:

Thank you for contacting CDC-INFO.

Here is the information you requested on Covid-19 vaccine.

If you received all recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine that has been authorized for emergency use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or is listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization (WHO), then you do not need any additional doses of COVID-19 vaccine. This currently includes the following vaccines:

• Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine
  • Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine
  • Johnson and Johnson's Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine
  • AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine
  • Sinopharm COVID-19 Vaccine
  • Sinovac-CoronaVac COVID-19 Vaccine

If you received a COVID-19 vaccine that is not authorized by FDA or listed for emergency use by WHO, you may start over with an FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine. If you did not receive all recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine that is listed for emergency use by WHO but is not FDA-authorized, you may start over with an FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine.

As mentioned before it doesn't really matter what the CDC says on their website or what they say in an email etc.

What matters is how the cruiselines interpret the CDC and what the cruiselines have written online, on their websites. as their rules. (which change constantly).

We are hearing of many passengers being denied boarding because they have not followed the rules properly.

I would not be using any cdc website information or correspondence to try to get on a cruise.

I would be reading and re reading my cruiselines rules.

1 minute ago, K_e_short said:

As mentioned before it doesn't really matter what the CDC says on their website or what they say in an email etc.

What matters is how the cruiselines interpret the CDC and what the cruiselines have written online, on their websites. as their rules. (which change constantly).

We are hearing of many passengers being denied boarding because they have not followed the rules properly.

I would not be using any cdc website information or correspondence to try to get on a cruise.

I would be reading and re reading my cruiselines rules.

I still have 3 months before final payment so hoping this all gets sorted out by then.    Also the Biden administration is recommending boosters at 8 months so it makes it easier to hold off getting the 3rd dose at least for me for now

• Like 1

Here is my online chat with Celebrity just now, please ignore the 3rd dose date as that is all up in the air of course, just mentioned for a reference to Celebrity

Chat started on 26 Aug 2021, 04:09 PM (GMT+0)
(04:09:07) *** SIobhan joined the chat ***
(04:09:07) SIobhan: Hi
(04:09:11) *** Valentina joined the chat ***
(04:09:14) Customer Service: Thank you for choosing to chat with us. We are experiencing high chat volume. One of our agents will be with you shortly.
(04:09:19) Valentina: Hello! Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises, where we take you to unforgettable destinations. My name is Valentina with whom do I have the pleasure of speaking with today?
(04:09:37) SIobhan: Valentina hello such a beautiful name
(04:10:01) SIobhan: I have a question on fully vaccinated with a cruise leaving from Fort Lauderdale
(04:10:53) Valentina: Thank you!
(04:11:00) SIobhan: I have Astrazeneca as my first dose, Moderna as my second dose and now I am getting a 3rd dose of Moderna next week so I can travel . Will I now be fully vaccinated to cruise with Celebrity
(04:11:30) SIobhan: this is all so confusing
(04:12:05) SIobhan: I am canadian
(04:12:44) Valentina: yes, that would be considered as fully vaccinated with us
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, schiff1997 said:

Here is my online chat with Celebrity just now, please ignore the 3rd dose date as that is all up in the air of course, just mentioned for a reference to Celebrity

Chat started on 26 Aug 2021, 04:09 PM (GMT+0)
(04:09:07) *** SIobhan joined the chat ***
(04:09:07) SIobhan: Hi
(04:09:11) *** Valentina joined the chat ***
(04:09:14) Customer Service: Thank you for choosing to chat with us. We are experiencing high chat volume. One of our agents will be with you shortly.
(04:09:19) Valentina: Hello! Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises, where we take you to unforgettable destinations. My name is Valentina with whom do I have the pleasure of speaking with today?
(04:09:37) SIobhan: Valentina hello such a beautiful name
(04:10:01) SIobhan: I have a question on fully vaccinated with a cruise leaving from Fort Lauderdale
(04:10:53) Valentina: Thank you!
(04:11:00) SIobhan: I have Astrazeneca as my first dose, Moderna as my second dose and now I am getting a 3rd dose of Moderna next week so I can travel . Will I now be fully vaccinated to cruise with Celebrity
(04:11:30) SIobhan: this is all so confusing
(04:12:05) SIobhan: I am canadian
(04:12:44) Valentina: yes, that would be considered as fully vaccinated with us

H Siobhan,  How will you get a 3rd dose?  In Ontario you can't get one yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomchick1970 said:

H Siobhan,  How will you get a 3rd dose?  In Ontario you can't get one yet.

Hi like I said my final payments are not for 3 months so hopefully this will sort itself out by then, or possibly once election is over Ontario will allow 3rd doses.   I recently heard of Ontario people near us getting that third dose in Quebec without any residency or employment etc.  Apparently it cost $100 so I am trying to get all the details from them .  I will post this once I find out the particulars 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, schiff1997 said:

Hi like I said my final payments are not for 3 months so hopefully this will sort itself out by then, or possibly once election is over Ontario will allow 3rd doses.   I recently heard of Ontario people near us getting that third dose in Quebec without any residency or employment etc.  Apparently it cost $100 so I am trying to get all the details from them .  I will post this once I find out the particulars 

Just posted same question in different thread.  I would also be very interested to know the details of a Quebec shot without residency.

• Like 2

We got the 3rd shot after getting a mixed dose and there wasn’t any questions other than what vaccine we wanted, we did however have to show ID so maybe this is how they control who is able to get it? 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

We got ours in Vaudreuil/Quebec 

Edited by MR_T
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, MR_T said:

We got the 3rd shot after getting a mixed dose and there wasn’t any questions other than what vaccine we wanted, we did however have to show ID so maybe this is how they control who is able to get it? 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

We got ours in Vaudreuil/Quebec 

If you live in Quebec you can get a 3rd dose. It's just not avaialible yet in Ontario.

I will say that I have no confidence that Ontario will allow us a 3rd dose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

If you live in Quebec you can get a 3rd dose. It's just not avaialible yet in Ontario.

I will say that I have no confidence that Ontario will allow us a 3rd dose.

Agreed. It seems that Ontario is ever the contrarian. Whatever seem s to be the logical course of action, they'll head off in the opposite direction.

• Like 1