3rd doses in Quebec for traveling

archer_310

I've contacted the Quebec health agency and they indicated that you had to live or work in Quebec in order to get a 3rd dose for traveling.  I'm from Ontario.  Does anyone from Quebec know if this is accurate and if there is a way for someone from another province to get a 3rd dose?  I need to get one by this Sunday or we have to cancel our upcoming cruise.

14 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

I've contacted the Quebec health agency and they indicated that you had to live or work in Quebec in order to get a 3rd dose for traveling.  I'm from Ontario.  Does anyone from Quebec know if this is accurate and if there is a way for someone from another province to get a 3rd dose?  I need to get one by this Sunday or we have to cancel our upcoming cruise.

Québec confirmed last week I believe, that 3rd doses will only be administered for “essential” travel. 

Link:  https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/advice-and-prevention/vaccination/covid-19-vaccine#c108629

Edited by soccersharon
  • Like 1

We live in Quebec and received AZ and Moderna. Last week we tried to get a second dose of moderna (we have a cruise booked for december). We were told we could not receive the third shot since our trip was too far away. They said that they are doing it for trips coming soon (august, september). They told us that the governement is working to get the mixed vaccined accepted and that things could change  ….. and to come back in october if the situation is the same…. I sure hope things work out and our mixed vaccines are accepted….

Edited by Mer turquoise

The short answer is no. You can't get a third dose if you are from Ontario.

If your vaccination type/dose/interval between doses does not line up with the CDC you are out of luck right now.

Yes it sucks. Read alot of the posts in this forum and you will hear you are not alone 😞

2 hours ago, K_e_short said:

The short answer is no. You can't get a third dose if you are from Ontario.

If your vaccination type/dose/interval between doses does not line up with the CDC you are out of luck right now.

Yes it sucks. Read alot of the posts in this forum and you will hear you are not alone 😞

I've been reading for weeks.  I was going to go on the cruise as an unvaccinated until they changed the rules again the other day and made everyone have to be vaccinated.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 12:03 AM, archer_310 said:

I've been reading for weeks.  I was going to go on the cruise as an unvaccinated until they changed the rules again the other day and made everyone have to be vaccinated.

Sorry for the problems you are encountering.   It's really a shame the way things are happening and changing from day to day.    Hope you don't miss your cruise.

• Like 1

Personally I would hold off (if possible) to see if manufacturers produce a specific booster shot vs taking the same of dose 1&2. They are working on them. As a guidance (and they haven't the foggiest if this is accurate), but the belief is you are protected up to 6 months after second dose, but the efficacy wanes continually up to that point and most certainly after the six months.

Seniors immunity depletes quicker, just like the regular flu shot. So too the immune compromised.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Personally I would hold off (if possible) to see if manufacturers produce a specific booster shot vs taking the same of dose 1&2. They are working on them. As a guidance (and they haven't the foggiest if this is accurate), but the belief is you are protected up to 6 months after second dose, but the efficacy wanes continually up to that point and most certainly after the six months.

Seniors immunity depletes quicker, just like the regular flu shot. So too the immune compromised.

Good point. For those booked December onward we're not sure if a booster will be offered.

I would recommend reading the World Health Organization (WHO) Interim recommendations for each of the COVID 19 Vaccines before getting a third injection. It is clear from theses document this is where extending vaccine dose intervals and mixing notably Astrazeneca with others started, although they still do not recommend mixing doses, although they indicate Astrazeneca and Pfizer mixing in the Pfizer recommendation has demonstrated positive results, but the data is not definitive. They also stipulate studies show dose intervals up to 12 weeks are just as effective when given the same Vaccine and this is recommended for Countries facing Vaccine supply issues with the recommendation to get one dose into the majority of the population to decrease risk of death. Makes you wonder where the US CDC is getting WHO info from?  Here’s hoping it is only a matter of time before both longer intervals and mixing dose is validated and accepted. BC announced today the interval between doses is now 4 weeks!

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 8:37 PM, soccersharon said:

Québec confirmed last week I believe, that 3rd doses will only be administered for “essential” travel. 

Link:  https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/advice-and-prevention/vaccination/covid-19-vaccine#c108629

We got our 3rd shot and wasn’t even asked why we wanted it, all we were asked was what vaccines we had so they could make sure we got what we needed. At no point was we asked why or what sort of travel we were getting it for, also, the nurse mentioned they were getting a lot of people getting the 3rd shot for vacations/cruises. 

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 9:02 PM, Mer turquoise said:

We live in Quebec and received AZ and Moderna. Last week we tried to get a second dose of moderna (we have a cruise booked for december). We were told we could not receive the third shot since our trip was too far away. They said that they are doing it for trips coming soon (august, september). They told us that the governement is working to get the mixed vaccined accepted and that things could change  ….. and to come back in october if the situation is the same…. I sure hope things work out and our mixed vaccines are accepted….

I guess it must depend on when & where you go… we got the 3rd shot and the only question we were asked was what vaccines we had so they can make sure we got what we needed. 

not that it matters but we got the 3rd shot around 3 weeks ago in Vaudreuil  and our cruise is in October. 

I’d go & try again and get it done as they could change their mind… 

12 hours ago, MR_T said:

We got our 3rd shot and wasn’t even asked why we wanted it, all we were asked was what vaccines we had so they could make sure we got what we needed. At no point was we asked why or what sort of travel we were getting it for, also, the nurse mentioned they were getting a lot of people getting the 3rd shot for vacations/cruises. 

Interesting!  I think what the government says and what happens “on the ground” can differ.  Glad you were able to receive your third dose.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MR_T said:

I guess it must depend on when & where you go… we got the 3rd shot and the only question we were asked was what vaccines we had so they can make sure we got what we needed. 

not that it matters but we got the 3rd shot around 3 weeks ago in Vaudreuil  and our cruise is in October. 

I’d go & try again and get it done as they could change their mind… 

Thank you for the information. I guess they do things differently depending on the area…We went twice and got the same information twice ! We canceled our december cruise before final payment. We might book it again but last minut when we know for sure that we can make it. With the testing requirements, the Delta variant, things are pretty incertain these days… Have a great cruise! 

19 hours ago, MR_T said:

What sort of documentation did you receive? 

I am an Ontario resident, and received a third mRNA dose in Quebec.  I did have to bend the rules a bit.  The short version, which is about all the detail I'm prepared to go into, is that I am in possession of a lease, in my name, for a property in Quebec.  For what it's worth, the lease is signed by both parties and perfectly valid - not that anyone looked very closely.

What I can say is this:

• On the day and location that I received my vaccine, proof of residency was definitely required.  I am completely certain that I would have been turned away without the lease.
  • I was asked when (August 28) and where ("Caribbean") I was travelling, but not why.
  • I don't have a QHIP number, and it wasn't an issue.  I provided my Ontario Driver's License as identification.
  • My Ontario vaccine records were uploaded into the Quebec system before they would administer the additional shot.
  • I received the paper vaccination record that is technically the "official" proof of immunization in Quebec.  Quebec insists that it is all that is needed for travel purposes, but obviously they can't dictate what other jurisdictions will accept.  That said, it's not really any different from the US CDC vaccination cards, so I don't see why it wouldn't be adequate.  In theory, I should also be able access my records online, but so far, whenever I try, it throws an error.  They say they are "working on it".
Edited by mabt
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, mabt said:

I am an Ontario resident, and received a third mRNA dose in Quebec.  I did have to bend the rules a bit.  The short version, which is about all the detail I'm prepared to go into, is that I am in possession of a lease, in my name, for a property in Quebec.  For what it's worth, the lease is signed by both parties and perfectly valid - not that anyone looked very closely.

What I can say is this:

• On the day and location that I received my vaccine, proof of residency was definitely required.  I am completely certain that I would have been turned away without the lease.
  • I was asked when (August 28) and where ("Caribbean") I was travelling, but not why.
  • I don't have a QHIP number, and it wasn't an issue.  I provided my Ontario Driver's License as identification.
  • My Ontario vaccine records were uploaded into the Quebec system before they would administer the additional shot.
  • I received the paper vaccination record that is technically the "official" proof of immunization in Quebec.  Quebec insists that it is all that is needed for travel purposes, but obviously they can't dictate what other jurisdictions will accept.  That said, it's not really any different from the US CDC vaccination cards, so I don't see why it wouldn't be adequate.  In theory, I should also be able access my records online, but so far, whenever I try, it throws an error.  They say they are "working on it".

Thank you for posting this. This is so helpful for others.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mabt said:

What I can say is this:

I have a couple of golfing buddies who have had mixed doses. They are thinking of going to Scotland this fall. Can they sublet your lease for a day and get their their third shot too? Hey, this could be a great little money maker for you!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, abby1257 said:

And how much does this cost for a Canadian to get a vaccine in the U.S.

We paid nothing.  Although we were eligible by owning property in the US, Kroger's did not ask to see any of our documentation or even identification.  Just made an appointment on line, showed up and got the shot.  I've been reading that the US might start 3rd doses soon.  So since we were vaccinated in April, we will most likely head over again in December.  

• Like 1

I am hoping the US border opens for driving, I would gladly go get a J&J or 2nd shot of Pfizer. Sadly Ontario is only offering 3rd doses to certain groups (for now). But my December 2009 kiddo will be able to get his Pfizer starting tomorrow so I am thrilled about that! He'll be considered vaccinated before me 😆 with my AZ/Pfizer mix. We currently do have a trip to Orlando planned for December so I guess I could always plan to get it then? If we even go. We don't cruise until March (and I know things can change). I do have until December for PIF. Any way. Maybe Ontario will offer 3rd doses. I have some hope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

I have a couple of golfing buddies who have had mixed doses. They are thinking of going to Scotland this fall. Can they sublet your lease for a day and get their their third shot too? Hey, this could be a great little money maker for you!

I'm not sure I'm allowed to sublet.  😄  But it did occur to me that anyone could probably find a blank Quebec lease agreement online and fill it out with any random address, and likely nobody would ever know the difference.

• Like 1