Table for two?

lorasmom

I couldn't imagine sitting at a table for two when people can be so much fun! Everyone on board is there to relax and enjoy themselvces, and so you have something in common with everyone on board. Why isolate yourselves?

There's nothing wrong with that. Some people prefer to eat by themselves and have a quiet dinner together. They have the rest of the day to do as much or as little as they want. Not necessarily an isolation situation.

Hi Lorasmom,

We've been on the Majesty as well as other ships and have usually gotten a table for two. We don't feel at all like we're 'isolating' ourselves since we enjoy dining alone and like to set a romantic mood. If you are not assigned a table for two when boarding go directly to the dining room and speak to the maitre de'. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

I couldn't imagine sitting at a table for two when people can be so much fun! Everyone on board is there to relax and enjoy themselvces, and so you have something in common with everyone on board. Why isolate yourselves?

We prefer a table for two. When we dine in land-based restaurants, we don't eat with others we don't know. I see no reason why we should just because we are on a ship.

There are plenty of ways to meet folks on a cruise, even just standing by an upper deck rail or even in an elevator.

I couldn't imagine being required to eat with strangers in order to have the supper I paid for. A cruise seems like a grown up, short term, expensive version of summer camp. It's lots of fun but lot's of rules and plenty adequate food and drink

OTOH, when you sign up for a mass market cruise you should be aware this is not a RockResort or a Four Seasons.

lorasmom: Just want to clarify for you that RCI doesn't guarantee seating requests. That may be why the RCI rep might have seemed confused. The request will be noted, and I think they do make an effort to accomodate it, but they do not guarantee it. If the RCI rep told you it was a sure thing, he/she was incorrect. Check your table assignment when you board, and if it's not what you want then go to the Maitr D' and request a change. Often they can do it for you; sometimes not.

And there's not a thing wrong with wanting a table for two. We prefer that (unless we're traveling with family of course).

beachchick

When I ate in the ship's fancy rests, I always got a table for two (just for myself). I certainly wouldn't impose on groups of people waiting to be seated, by asking if I could join their group for dinner.

So rather than being turned down, I simply go up to the hostess station and request one of their tables for two. While seated, no one has ever approached me and asked me to join their table instead of eating alone.

Fortunately I have absolutely no trouble going out to dinner by myself. My S/O died in 1988, so I've had plenty of experience eating alone.

When I ate in the ship's fancy rests, I always got a table for two (just for myself). I certainly wouldn't impose on groups of people waiting to be seated, by asking if I could join their group for dinner.

So rather than being turned down, I simply go up to the hostess station and request one of their tables for two. While seated, no one has ever approached me and asked me to join their table instead of eating alone.

Fortunately I have absolutely no trouble going out to dinner by myself. My S/O died in 1988, so I've had plenty of experience eating alone.

What cruise line are you talking about? Royal Caribbean has always had assigned seating in the main dining rooms. There is no "imposing" on groups waiting to be seated because everybody is pre-assigned to tables that you eat at for the entire week. Now, in the specialty restaurants there is no assigned seating, but you always eat by yourself (you and your group).

I wish I had known about requesting a table for 2 and checking it when you get on board before our first cruise on the Majesty for our honeymoon. We are both shy and it was very awkward for us to eat dinner with strangers, we just couldn't fully enjoy our dinner. Especially since it was our honeymoon and we didn't want to really talk to others anyways. We are hoping we get the table for 2 we have requested on our next cruise. I just don't get the whole dining with strangers appeal at all!

We had booked a large table, which worked well on our first cruise, but decided to change to a smaller table last time. As we stood waiting to talk to the dining room reps we noticed that the older gentleman in front of us in line was getting quite upset and starting to yell at the staff. He had apparently not chosen anything in particular when booking and was mad that he could not get the correct seating time and a table for 2. He was told that he would be put on a waiting list.

When we finally got our chance to change tables we had smiles on our faces and never raised our voices towards the staff. They told us that they had no more tables for 2, but wouldn't we like a nice table for 4 that had no one sitting in it? Oh yes! Our table for 4 was a table for 2 all week long. Sometimes it pays to be pleasant and kind towards the ship's staff. :)

WRP96:

All of the cruises have been through Atlantis Events; they charter the entire ship. With them, it's ALWAYS freestyle seating regardless of the ship's customary practices. You're never assigned a table; you're never assigned a time.

So when I'm ready to have dinner, I go up to the hostess station and ask for a table for two. If there's a wait, there's no difference between waiting there or in a rest here in town.

One time I had a New Year's Eve reservation in one of the eateries here in Sacramento - it wasn't a real fancy-schmancy place, but it was fairly popular. Even with a reservation, I had to wait two hours for a table. This was solely because I was alone. I ranted and raved about it in front of everyone else who were waiting for a table, trying to explain the dynamics of time; that a single person would turn the table over a lot faster than a party of four. I finally got seated just to get rid of me, I'm sure. Needless to say, I never went back. That was about 20 years ago and they're still open; I guess they didn't need my money.

To each his own. I'd rather eat with just DH than sit with people that RCI thinks "should" be compatible just because we're all on the same deck or the same age.

We've had enough bad experiences with tables for 4 that we immediately check our seating, and then if we've been stuck with one (we always ask for a large table but usually don't get it) get it changed to a larger one.

Come now - is there is no romance on your ship?

We just had a table for two...for our anniversary.

I spend so much time away from my DW working that she and we need the time together. Yes, I know that this is a wonderful bunch!

And I'm sure that we'll be able to talk and chat while waiting in line, at the purser's desk, before the show, poolside, on the tour excursions, at immigration, disembarking, ;) but at dinner time . . .

Girl, tonight is all for you, a special rendezvous, a table for two.

A table for two, dinner room with a view...... :cool:

After our first few cruises we decided to start getting a table for two. It was our time to be together and we didn't always need others to have a great time. It was a little tough getting the tables, and sometimes required a descretly placed $20 in the right palm. We now have a couple that we cruise with every year and we still have problems getting a table for the four of us. When we booked the other day, the ta advised us to call her two weeks before we leave and she would do everything in her power to get the table like we wanted it. Hope it works.....

when we first started cruising, we were among the many cruisers that got stuck at large tables with folks that we did not enjoy eating with, and learned how special that our dinner hour was to create the perfect evenings on the ship. We sailed in 2005 on the Radiance and did our normal request for a table for the four of us. When we went to check on the seating details we were sitting at two different tables with other travelers. The head waiter agreed to fix it. When we arrived at dinner that night there were people sitting at our table. Needless to say it was a bit embarrasing and we had to get the head waiter to get it fixed. He moved the others and we had our table for the rest of the week. I agree with the preceding comments about being kind to the staff on the ship and getting more with honey!!!!!!!!Great dining to all and remember to pack a few extra $20's. It can't hurt either.

Archived