Meraviglia August 6, 2021 3 Nts to Ocean Cay - Recap Trip Report

twangster

This trip was all about new.  New for me that is.

• New to MSC.
  • First revenue cruise of my new cruise restart.
  • New private destination to explore (new for me).
  • First posts in the MSC boards here on CC.

MSC has some really attractive rates at the moment so with exactly 14 days until the sail date I decided to jump on board. 

MSC has a status match program that I exercised a few years ago but I had not sailed MSC yet.  My status match is expiring so this is opportunity to keep my MSC status going.

It's always good to try new things and I was looking forward to trying not only a new cruise line but also a new class of ship, for me at least.  With many cruise lines operating at reduced capacity as they restart operations I see this as a great time to try new cruise experiences.

For this cruise I booked a Fantastica balcony on deck 9.  During the booking process I hadn't fully discovered what Fantasica means but it was a small per cruise upgrade over the base rate with a better choice of cabins so why not?  I've heard great things about Yacht Club but I'm going to save that for another occasion.  It's just 3 nights and I look forward to more of an apples to apples comparison with the balcony cruises I've done on other cruise lines.  

I added a wifi streaming package and an excursion climbing the Ocean Cay lighthouse.  Other than that my plan is just to explore Ocean Cay, MSC's private destination and enjoy the salt air of a sea day on our way back to Miami.

Here is the cruise itinerary:

1414977051_MRItinerary8-6-21.jpg.2dc251092bc2d2d30837a094c2c07e68.jpg

The late stay at Ocean Cay was also appealing to me.  

I tend to be picture intensive so I'll let my photos speak a thousands words.

• Like 2

Friday August 6

IT'S CRUISE DAY!!!

I drove to Miami this morning arriving with an extra hour before my appointment time.

I think someone forgot to tell the Port of Miami that cruises are back, at least the parking department.  Meraviglia is using terminal C but the terminal C parking garage is barricaded off.  I had heard of this from the last group of cruisers so like them I went to NCL next door and terminal B.  After a few laps around the merry-go-round following the sign for B parking I declared myself a VIP.  

To the right is the VIP Bag Drop and since it was the only ramp that goes up... why not try it?  Sure enough this is route to park at terminal B.  Left brings you back around in a circle.

mv-day1-2.thumb.jpg.aca12bdc13c89f846daa

I was an hour early so I parked and took the elevator to the top of the parking garage hoping to get a picture of Meraviglia.  Parking at B actually worked out well for this purpose.

mv-day1-1.jpg

Okay, that took 5 minutes.  No what?  I figured I might as well head over and see how thing were looking.

Turns out they weren't checking boarding pass times at 3pm so I joined the line and made it through the door.  Next up security.  Pretty standard ship security.  After security I joined a queue for the health check.  At several points they wanted to make sure I had completed the health questions and signed the form. I had done that at home this morning but plenty of others had not.

After roughly 15 minutes I reached a desk where they took my health form and gave me 4 stickers with my name and a QR code.  From here I joined another queue for the actual test.  Five minutes later it was my turn to test.  They took the stickers from me, did a quick nasal dip and gave me a sticker that corresponded with my testing station.

mv-day1-3.jpg

Upstairs to a waiting area to section "10" to match my sticker where I began to write this post.  I was the first into section 10 but not long after others joined me. 

Almost 45 minutes passed and an employee came by and announced "everybody up!" and we are going to the next step.  In hindsight this meant we all passed as no one was called out.  

We went back downstairs to join the queue for check in.  The real check in.  Here they requested my boarding pass, passport and proof of vaccination.  Moments later with my card in hand and a white wrist band I went back upstairs to board the ship.

All of this from the moment I walked in the front door of the terminal to the moment I was walking up the gangway to the ship was roughly 1 hour.

• Like 3

Upon walking on the ship there was a table setup where they provided an MSC smart wristband that serves as door key, allows drink purchases but also does contact tracing since it is a tracker that knows where you have been.  We were instructed to wear them everywhere at all times.   The white wrist band denotes vaccinated. 

mv-day1-6.jpg

Next I walked into a lounge and was immediately greeted by a drink package salesmen.  For a 3 night cruise I learned MSC doesn't offer drink packages for pre-purchase and I wasn't sure I was going to bite but in the heat of the excitement of being back on a ship I caved and bought the easy package for $32 per day plus service fees. 

This next picture was my first glimpse of the ship and where I signed up for the drink package.

mv-day1-4.jpg

Cabins were ready so I didn't grab a beverage just yet but I did grab a picture of the next area that the lounge led me into:

mv-day1-5.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

Friday August 6

IT'S CRUISE DAY!!!

I drove to Miami this morning arriving with an extra hour before my appointment time.

I think someone forgot to tell the Port of Miami that cruises are back, at least the parking department.  Meraviglia is using terminal C but the terminal C parking garage is barricaded off.  I had heard of this from the last group of cruisers so like them I went to NCL next door and terminal B.  After a few laps around the merry-go-round following the sign for B parking I declared myself a VIP.  

To the right is the VIP Bag Drop and since it was the only ramp that goes up... why not try it?  Sure enough this is route to park at terminal B.  Left brings you back around in a circle.

mv-day1-2.thumb.jpg.aca12bdc13c89f846daa

I was an hour early so I parked and took the elevator to the top of the parking garage hoping to get a picture of Meraviglia.  Parking at B actually worked out well for this purpose.

mv-day1-1.jpg

Okay, that took 5 minutes.  No what?  I figured I might as well head over and see how thing were looking.

Turns out they weren't checking boarding pass times at 3pm so I joined the line and made it through the door.  Next up security.  Pretty standard ship security.  After security I joined a queue for the health check.  At several points they wanted to make sure I had completed the health questions and signed the form. I had done that at home this morning but plenty of others had not.

After roughly 15 minutes I reached a desk where they took my health form and gave me 4 stickers with my name and a QR code.  From here I joined another queue for the actual test.  Five minutes later it was my turn to test.  They took the stickers from me, did a quick nasal dip and gave me a sticker that corresponded with my testing station.

mv-day1-3.jpg

Upstairs to a waiting area to section "10" to match my sticker where I began to write this post.  I was the first into section 10 but not long after others joined me. 

Almost 45 minutes passed and an employee came by and announced "everybody up!" and we are going to the next step.  In hindsight this meant we all passed as no one was called out.  

We went back downstairs to join the queue for check in.  The real check in.  Here they requested my boarding pass, passport and proof of vaccination.  Moments later with my card in hand and a white wrist band I went back upstairs to board the ship.

All of this from the moment I walked in the front door of the terminal to the moment I was walking up the gangway to the ship was roughly 1 hour.

That's a speedy check-in, compared to those of other cruisers. 

Every bar has a paper menu but more common are these signs with QR codes:

mv-day1-7.jpg

The bottom QR code links to the beverage packages available on board.

MSC Meraviglia Drink Packages.pdf

A few bar menus I collected along the way.

Meraviglia Bar.pdf Meraviglia Pool Bar.pdfMeraviglia Pub.pdf 

Spoiler alert - the menus are pretty much the same.

Here is one of the physical menus I've seen:

mv-day1-8.jpg

Also note MSC does charge local taxes while in port.

mv-day1-9.jpg

• Like 1

Cabin tour!

Deck 9, starboard, somewhat midship.  Cabin 9188.

mv-day1-12.jpg

mv-day1-11.jpg

mv-day1-13.jpg

Waiting for me were...

mv-day1-14.jpg

Closet:

mv-day1-10.jpg

Balcony:

mv-day1-15.jpg

View down into the deck 8 extended balconies.

mv-day1-16.jpg

View aft:

mv-day1-17.jpg

View forward:

mv-day1-18.jpg

The balcony is "efficient".

mv-day1-19.jpg

I'll post better balcony pictures on a sea day.

mv-day1-20.jpg

With the curtains open:

mv-day1-21.jpg

Desk area with two euro power ports, two North American 110v outlets and 1 USB.

mv-day1-22.jpg

Nicely laid out bathroom with shower door.

mv-day1-23.jpg

mv-day1-24.jpg

There is a panoramic elevator not far from my cabin which is one of the reasons I picked this location.

mv-day1-25.jpg

Back down to the Galleria.

mv-day1-26.jpg

Four guests per elevator.

mv-day1-27.jpg

• Like 1

Right as I was in the buffet getting ready to put mustard on a hamburger the call for the muster drill came over the PA.  Muster was at 5:30pm.

Muster in the pandemic consists of going to your cabin to watch a video.  At the end of the video a code is displayed.  On this day it was 881.  Using the phone we were instructed to dial this code to record having watched the video.

mv-day1-29.jpg

Next decks were called to begin visiting the actual muster stations.  This started with top decks called in threes until eventually 15 minutes later my deck was called.

Muster station D is in the Plaza.

mv-day1-28.jpg

Using the stairs as instructed was a bit chaotic as other guests called earlier were coming back up the stairs as my collections of decks that were just called were going down the stairs.  Eventually I made it to muster D where my card was scanned and they directed me deeper into the Plaza.

mv-day1-31.jpg

At this point there was no more direction and we all sort of milled about until we all came to the realization that was it.  We were done.  So back up the stairs!

mv-day1-32.jpg

With that muster was complete.

Complete both steps...  dial the code and get your card scanned.  Otherwise you'll get tagged for another muster drill.

• Like 1

Some pictures as I explored the upper decks.

mv-day1-45.jpg

mv-day1-46.jpg

mv-day1-47.jpg

mv-day1-48.jpg

mv-day1-49.jpg

mv-day1-50.jpg

Bar selection:

mv-day1-51.jpg

There are many areas that are seemingly deserted.  I think with so few people on board there are vast areas that aren't seeing any crowds since there is no need to venture there with the main pool decks so available.

mv-day1-52.jpg

mv-day1-53.jpg

Finally sail away was upon us.

mv-day1-54.jpg

With a large anvil cloud over Miami lighting up occasionally with lightning it made for a beautiful sail away.

mv-day1-55.jpg

mv-day1-56.jpg

mv-day1-57.jpg

mv-day1-58.jpg

• Like 2

With all that was going on and sailing away late I chose dinner in the buffet.  

After dinner it was around the ship collecting bar menus.  That ended in the pub with some pub music.

mv-day1-74.jpg

Then it was off to bed for an early morning to watch our arrival into Ocean Cay.

• Like 2

Day2 - Ocean Cay

Scheduled arrival is 9am.

Up early to explore the ship at or just before dawn.

I had noticed a panoramic elevator on the deck plans so I picked cabin not far from it.  

mv-day2-27.jpg

mv-day2-26.jpg

Up to deck 14.

mv-day2-1.jpg

mv-day2-2.jpg

As we approached Ocean Cay the ship turned and I could start to see a channel defined by buoys like a runway begging us to land.

mv-day2-16.jpg

mv-day2-3.jpg

I headed aft...

mv-day2-5.jpg

To the horizon bar to get a picture, and...

mv-day2-6.jpg

A mimosa to start the day...

mv-day2-8.jpg

mv-day2-14.jpg

It became apparent we were going in aft first which places starboard facing Ocean Cay.  Remember that for cabin selection if it's important to you.

mv-day2-15.jpg

The sun had fully risen but was nestled behind some clouds making for some dramatic morning photography.

mv-day2-17.jpg

As we continued to reverse into the channel the famous lighthouse was growing larger.

mv-day2-18.jpg

With the sun rising higher we could get a better look at Ocean Cay.

mv-day2-10.jpg

mv-day2-11.jpg

mv-day2-19.jpg

mv-day2-20.jpg

Ocean Cay is relatively young as a private destination in the Bahamas goes but I could already tell I was going to like it.

mv-day2-21.jpg

mv-day2-22.jpg

The pier was approaching.

mv-day2-12.jpg

mv-day2-23.jpg

mv-day2-24.jpg

mv-day2-25.jpg

• Like 1

Ocean Cay

At last we step foot onto Ocean Cay.

mv-day2-28.jpg

Ocean Cay is a marine reserve.

mv-day2-29.jpg

mv-day2-30.jpg

mv-day2-32.jpg

mv-day2-33.jpg

One of the excursion boats waiting for guests.

mv-day2-34.jpg

mv-day2-35.jpg

Springer's Bar.  One of many on the Cay.

mv-day2-36.jpg

The island has nearly 200 live on employees.  This is where they live.  

mv-day2-37.jpg

Not bad for "crew quarters".

mv-day2-38.jpg

Lots of concrete walkways shared with trams and people.

mv-day2-39.jpg

One of the food venues that will serve lunch later today.

mv-day2-40.jpg

Parts of the island of sectioned off because there are just not enough guests visiting right now due to reduced capacity.

mv-day2-41.jpg

mv-day2-42.jpg

mv-day2-43.jpg

South beach at Ocean Cay Lagoon

mv-day2-44.jpg

Have I mentioned it's a great time to cruise with reduced capacity?  Plenty of loungers available.

mv-day2-45.jpg

mv-day2-46.jpg

Cabanas available at a cost.

mv-day2-47.jpg

One end of the Cay is closed at the moment.  

mv-day2-48.jpg

MSC has been busy planting vegetation.

mv-day2-49.jpg

Walking back around to the "ship side" of the Cay.

mv-day2-50.jpg

One of a couple bars available at Lighthouse Bay and Beach.

mv-day2-51.jpg

mv-day2-52.jpg

mv-day2-53.jpg

mv-day2-54.jpg

mv-day2-55.jpg

mv-day2-56.jpg

mv-day2-57.jpg

mv-day2-82.jpg

mv-day2-58.jpg

mv-day2-59.jpg

Lighthouse Bar is a definite must visit venue.

mv-day2-60.jpg

Drink packages work on Ocean Cay just like on the ship.

mv-day2-61.jpg

mv-day2-62.jpg

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

I had pre-booked the lighthouse tour but my time was later in the day.  Since I was there and hadn't yet indulged I inquired to see if I could go early.  Success.

mv-day2-64.jpg

The tour is guided with stops at three levels to take pictures (and catch your breath).

mv-day2-77.jpg

Pretty good views at the first level.

mv-day2-65.jpg

mv-day2-79.jpg

mv-day2-66.jpg

mv-day2-67.jpg

Time to climb...

mv-day2-68.jpg

Wow!

mv-day2-69.jpg

Great place to get a picture of the ship!

mv-day2-70.jpg

mv-day2-71.jpg

mv-day2-78.jpg

mv-day2-73.jpg

Keep on climbing!

mv-day2-72.jpg

Oh yeah...

mv-day2-80.jpg

Lighthouse Bay and Beach is a netted area.

mv-day2-74.jpg

The tower is lined with LED lights and has these automated spotlights.  After dark is the Lighthouse LED show.

mv-day2-75.jpg

mv-day2-81.jpg

mv-day2-76.jpg

• Like 1

The bars on Ocean Cay have menus like those on the ship.  There are hotspots on Ocean Cay different from the ship wifi but the concept is the same.  Scan the QR code and pull up a bar menu.

Springer's Bar

Springers Bar.pdf

Lighthouse Bar

Lighthouse Bar.pdf

I had trouble logging into to access the internet while on Ocean Cay.  It reported that I was already connected with my one device.  I thought I had logged off my phone from the ship but something didn't like the way I had signed out.  

The whole island does not have wifi coverage but near the bars there are hotspots.

Also on or near the island is a cell tower for the Bahamas Telephone Company.  For my phone and service plan this worked just like it does at another cruise line's private island and in Nassau. YMMV.