Port to Airport- Uber vs. Taxi vs. Ship Transfers

IMKTDQT810

Some might laugh and joke but I took an Uber for the first time EVER last month. I was a nervous-nilly on how all it worked but was fine once my ride arrived and I was on my way to my destination. We are travelling next year to a port that we will fly (day before) and I have already loaded more "Uber Cash" onto my app with a gift card to go from airport to hotel. We will be walking to the port since it's only a few blocks away and I am considering NOT booking transfers from port to airport but rather either take a taxi or an Uber. (Approx miles from port to airport is around 9 or 11 miles...somewhere in there.) 

How difficult is it to get an Uber when you are in a group of folks who might ALL have requested one at the same time? Is there specific pick up location we need to find to request an Uber? Would it be easier to just grab a taxi already sitting there? Or do you all still recommend getting the ship transfer to the airport? They are not up for me to view yet (price wise) but I am thinking Uber or Taxi will be cheaper and faster. Thoughts? 

If it’s only you traveling a ship transfer might be cost effective. They charge per person. And your transfer is guaranteed. 

Uber believe it or not you’ll find your car because they tell you the color, model and license plate number. Plus he’ll text you if he can’t find you. But you might be caught in surge pricing. 

• Like 1

I've never had a problem connecting with an Uber - specific pick up point tells him where to go, and you are given full description of the car.  My first thought is to get a regular taxi from an airport , because you really cannot line Uber up in advance given uncertainty of landing time or delay getting off plane and getting luggage-- but never a cruise line transfer since a couple of bad experiences- usually fairly expensive and frequently a long wait while they fill the bus.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 2

@Got2Cruise there will be three of us total. Interesting on the surge pricing, I didn't even know that was a thing! Thank you for that information.

@navybankerteacher we will be going from port to airport (it will be the day before and plan to use the Uber then also but will be in no rush if it takes awhile). I guess the same unknown will be from port to airport since I have no clue when we will step off the ship, per say. 

I'm glad to hear from both of you that connecting and finding my Uber won't be an issue. Thanks for that!