My BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag HOME TEST Experience

chamorroroots

1 hour ago, chamorroroots said:

Make sure it's the BinaxNOW Home Test and not the BinaxNOW Self Test.

Darn...you are right, it's the self test.  Thank you for pointing that out.  Back to the drawing board...I was trying to avoid ordering them online (in case we don't end up needing them) but I might not have a choice (if it's not too late already).

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 7:31 AM, chamorroroots said:

Alas! Here it is! The process I went through on August 12, 2021 taking the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag HOME TEST guided by an on-line live Proctor.  This test kit will be used to satisfy our Carnival cruise requirement to produce a negative COVID test result 72 to 48 hours prior to the day of our embarkation. Requirements provided from the test:

✔️Laboratory Test Record - Lab result document is password protected PDF Document and sent by email after the test

✔️ Digital certificate - Navica App (contains the following information below to satisfy information requirements)

✔️First and Last Name - B******* P*******

✔️Date of Birth -  **/**/***

✔️Type of Test - BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test (Viral Antigen) 

✔️Date and time the sample was taken: August 12, 2021

✔️Test result is stated “NEGATIVE” or “NOT DETECTED” - NEGATIVE* / *SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Not Detected

✔️Laboratory or testing site, and/or healthcare provider details - eMed Labs LLC

BOOM!

Here’s the link to my video. Please Subscribe, Like (or not), Comment: https://youtu.be/gdewvrKGPwM

1343E765-5C05-4CA9-BCB1-E33488A554A5.jpeg

Did you have to make an appointment for the online session?  Or do you just login in when you want to initiate the test?

Thanks for all of the information.  Went ahead and ordered ours for our Sept. 4th and 11th cruise.   We can get the PCR test at CVS, which we will also do, but just want a little peace of mind and do both.

Since CVS says 1 -2 days for the results, decided to do this rapid test with EMed also.

• Like 1

I purchased these tests from emed for an upcoming cruise. We’ll, I hung out with a neighbor who had a “head cold” 2 weeks ago for a few hours on Friday and wouldn’t you know it…I came down with a head cold on Sunday. *insert eye roll here*
She didn’t get tested so I decided to test this morning since I’m vaccinated and the Delta variant can appear as a head cold.

It was so easy! I got connected right away and she walked me through the test. You’ll need to use both the front and back camera of your phone to scan the QR code of the test and your photo ID. 
My results were negative and the lab report was received in the app and as a PDF in my email immediately. It has all of the required items that Carnival requested so I’m very confident it will be accepted. The PDF document does say BinaxNOW Covid19-AG Card Home Test as the title but the screenshot version does not include the words “home test” and it says it was proctored which is one of Carnival’s requirements so I’ll try to show that version to the Carnival employee first. I’ve attached some screenshots with my info blacked out.

74E99C68-E332-4C92-A87C-BF0D755719FB.jpeg

34F4CF44-834C-4E5E-A43E-BCEA256049DF.jpeg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, simmingdenise said:

I purchased these tests from emed for an upcoming cruise. We’ll, I hung out with a neighbor who had a “head cold” 2 weeks ago for a few hours on Friday and wouldn’t you know it…I came down with a head cold on Sunday. *insert eye roll here*
She didn’t get tested so I decided to test this morning since I’m vaccinated and the Delta variant can appear as a head cold.

It was so easy! I got connected right away and she walked me through the test. You’ll need to use both the front and back camera of your phone to scan the QR code of the test and your photo ID. 
My results were negative and the lab report was received in the app and as a PDF in my email immediately. It has all of the required items that Carnival requested so I’m very confident it will be accepted. The PDF document does say BinaxNOW Covid19-AG Card Home Test as the title but the screenshot version does not include the words “home test” and it says it was proctored which is one of Carnival’s requirements so I’ll try to show that version to the Carnival employee first. I’ve attached some screenshots with my info blacked out.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Please do let us know how it goes the day you embark.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, simmingdenise said:

Definitely let us know how Carnival reacts to it.  Since ours is 3 weeks away, I decide to get 2 tests, this one plus the PCR at CVS.  Just to be sure!   We are out in the country and do not run into many people on a daily basis so not really exposed.  Just worried about false positives tests that I have heard about.  Both vaccinated also.

On 8/13/2021 at 10:31 AM, chamorroroots said:

Alas! Here it is! The process I went through on August 12, 2021 taking the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag HOME TEST guided by an on-line live Proctor.  This test kit will be used to satisfy our Carnival cruise requirement to produce a negative COVID test result 72 to 48 hours prior to the day of our embarkation. Requirements provided from the test:

✔️Laboratory Test Record - Lab result document is password protected PDF Document and sent by email after the test

✔️ Digital certificate - Navica App (contains the following information below to satisfy information requirements)

✔️First and Last Name - B******* P*******

✔️Date of Birth -  **/**/***

✔️Type of Test - BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test (Viral Antigen) 

✔️Date and time the sample was taken: August 12, 2021

✔️Test result is stated “NEGATIVE” or “NOT DETECTED” - NEGATIVE* / *SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Not Detected

✔️Laboratory or testing site, and/or healthcare provider details - eMed Labs LLC

BOOM!

Here’s the link to my video. Please Subscribe, Like (or not), Comment: https://youtu.be/gdewvrKGPwM

1343E765-5C05-4CA9-BCB1-E33488A554A5.jpeg

The 48-72 hours is incorrect.  It is 3days before your cruise. If your cruise is Monday, you can test on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or even Monday using rapid. 

15 hours ago, DB2VA said:

The 48-72 hours is incorrect.  It is 3days before your cruise. If your cruise is Monday, you can test on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or even Monday using rapid. 

Yes, indeed three days is the current requirement. Health and safety protocols remain dynamic. The 48-72 hours was the initial requirement; however, due to many complaints and confusion as to when the clock starts to tick, they decided to simplify it with the number of days.

Edited by chamorroroots
  • Like 1

Several people on this thread have posted that emed CSRs have indicated you can use a 6-pack for more than 3 people.  Has anyone successfully done this yet?  I'm just wondering which names to include when I order or if that even matters.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

Great...at last , some clarity for those of us techno challenge to waddle through this.....BIG TIP OF THE HAT SIR....now, Can I do the test on the IPHONE or is it strictly on the Computer.??

As long as your camera and microphone works and you can show yourself and table and test kit in the view that they want then yes. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

As long as your camera and microphone works and you can show yourself and table and test kit in the view that they want then yes. 

Sounds like it  might be easier on my IPHONE rather than the desktop computer....thanks for the tip!!

• Like 1

Just checking to see if anyone has used these Ag Card tests as proof at boarding. I need to order them pretty quickly because of logistics surrounding our Oct. 2 on the Mardi Gras, but don't want to shell out the money if it's ultimately unusable.

Thanks!

Just now, Buffalobills said:

I’m actually on the fence too about purchasing them for my upcoming cruise in October. I’m just wondering what the expiration dates are. I have another cruise in February booked so I hope they are at least a year.

I have been trying to figure that out for the ones I purchased. There is no date that I can see on the box that is unequivocally labeled as the expiration date. (Any reagent kits that I have used clearly indicate "exp." or "expiry" next to a date for the kit as a whole and each component). If anyone has figured it out, please let me know.

I emailed eMed with my order number and asked but they did not reply. I would expect that their system would track the lot numbers shipped out for every order, but who knows. I guess the next step is to contact Abbott.

1 hour ago, Buffalobills said:

When you receive a reply please post how long they are good for.

Apparently the shelf life is 12 months at room temp. Mine were manufactured on 2/8/2021, so it looks like eMed is shipping their oldest stock first. Our cruise is late September, and I plan on testing us before and after. I may use the other two when we get back from a visit to my brother in November. We will only do the proctor portion prior to our cruise. Here is the link to the FDA extension letter.

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/EUA-abbott-binaxNOW-Rev-2021-04-06.pdf

Edited by snowballs mom
added link
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Buffalobills said:

I’m actually on the fence too about purchasing them for my upcoming cruise in October. I’m just wondering what the expiration dates are. I have another cruise in February booked so I hope they are at least a year.

18 hours ago, snowballs mom said:

I have been trying to figure that out for the ones I purchased. There is no date that I can see on the box that is unequivocally labeled as the expiration date. (Any reagent kits that I have used clearly indicate "exp." or "expiry" next to a date for the kit as a whole and each component). If anyone has figured it out, please let me know.

I emailed eMed with my order number and asked but they did not reply. I would expect that their system would track the lot numbers shipped out for every order, but who knows. I guess the next step is to contact Abbott.

16 hours ago, snowballs mom said:

Apparently the shelf life is 12 months at room temp. Mine were manufactured on 2/8/2021, so it looks like eMed is shipping their oldest stock first. Our cruise is late September, and I plan on testing us before and after. I may use the other two when we get back from a visit to my brother in November. We will only do the proctor portion prior to our cruise. Here is the link to the FDA extension letter.

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/EUA-abbott-binaxNOW-Rev-2021-04-06.pdf

eMed confirmed to me that ALL of their tests are manufactured in February 2021, so they all have the same expiration date.  They don’t do a great job of disclosing this on their website, which I informed them they need to do better in communicating this.  They stated they have no plans to make more kits until January 2022, so no matter when you order from them (atleast now) they will all expire in February 2022.

• Thanks 2

Just FYI: There is a second approved medically supervised home test available. 

Ellume

I read about in this article: https://thepointsguy.com/news/ellume-covid-home-test/

It appears to be more complex than the Abbott. Like the Abbot test - need to make sure you order the correct version for travel/medical supervision. 

One note of interest is the swab distance for this test "As you can see from the diagram above, you’ll be sticking a swab pretty far up both nostrils. It’s the “brain tickle” test you may have experienced during some PCR tests — I found it to be far more invasive than the Abbott version."

Note: My DW had to take the version of this PCR test early in 2020 prior to surgery with the deep penetration swab. She now refuses to take ANY test that puts anything that far up her nostril again. Had to convince her that the new tests do not necessarily use the deep penetration her original test did. 

I had purchased 6 of the Abbott tests - which will cover us for the our scheduled cruises through January 2022. After that, I will need to buy additional sets for our foreign cruise / return flights in 2022/2023.

Received kits from OPTUM....I am going to do a test sample just to make sure I can wade thru the process , just like the video. Am I correct that I got to emed.com or nauvica.com  to start the test. OH, and what accounts do I need to generate to take the test...not real clear on where I go for the test and what account I have to make. Sorry for being so....S..L..O..W.