My BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag HOME TEST Experience

chamorroroots

25 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

Received kits from OPTUM....I am going to do a test sample just to make sure I can wade thru the process , just like the video. Am I correct that I got to emed.com or nauvica.com  to start the test. OH, and what accounts do I need to generate to take the test...not real clear on where I go for the test and what account I have to make. Sorry for being so....S..L..O..W.

I set up my Navica login on my laptop by following the link to taking the test on the eMed website. I then downloaded and installed the Navica app on my Android phone through Google Playstore. Once I had it on my phone I logged in to make sure it worked. Please let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RGEDad said:

Just FYI: There is a second approved medically supervised home test available. 

Ellume

I read about in this article: https://thepointsguy.com/news/ellume-covid-home-test/

It appears to be more complex than the Abbott. Like the Abbot test - need to make sure you order the correct version for travel/medical supervision. 

One note of interest is the swab distance for this test "As you can see from the diagram above, you’ll be sticking a swab pretty far up both nostrils. It’s the “brain tickle” test you may have experienced during some PCR tests — I found it to be far more invasive than the Abbott version."

Just a heads-up... when I was shopping for proctored tests I looked at Ellume and BinaxNow (through eMed).  There were a lot of reviews from people who had gotten false positive results with Ellume tests and then got "live" antigen or PCR tests, only to find out that they weren't actually positive.  Some people cancelled events and travel based on the false positives, then later found out they weren't actually positive.

Because of these reviews I decided to go with BinaxNOW through eMed (purchased from Optum because I didn't need 6 tests, which is the only way eMed currently sells them).

7 hours ago, snowballs mom said:

I set up my Navica login on my laptop by following the link to taking the test on the eMed website. I then downloaded and installed the Navica app on my Android phone through Google Playstore. Once I had it on my phone I logged in to make sure it worked. Please let us know how it goes.

I think I"m going to do this on my computer, my eyes are too bad to see the tiny print on the phone. So...to be clear..I"ll make a NAVICA login, and then it will link to the EMED website for the testing? Sorry if it's repetitive, just don't want any issues, etc. Thanks again.....

I actually got to Navica to make the login by trying to start a test on the eMed website - it automatically pulls up the option. I also find it is much easier to do on a computer rather than your phone. However, please keep in mind that you will need a camera for them to see you as part of the testing procedure. If you use a newer laptop you should have a camera at the top of the screen. However, if you have a desktop (big box), you will not have a camera. You can still use the desktop to set up your Navica account, but you would need to switch to your phone and log in there to take the test. (Hope this makes sense.)

17 minutes ago, snowballs mom said:

I actually got to Navica to make the login by trying to start a test on the eMed website - it automatically pulls up the option. I also find it is much easier to do on a computer rather than your phone. However, please keep in mind that you will need a camera for them to see you as part of the testing procedure. If you use a newer laptop you should have a camera at the top of the screen. However, if you have a desktop (big box), you will not have a camera. You can still use the desktop to set up your Navica account, but you would need to switch to your phone and log in there to take the test. (Hope this makes sense.)

Sure, thanks for taking time to walk me thru this...its alotta ANGST.....I have a camera on my Desktop with built in Microphone.....so hoping this goes easy, it's our really last shot for the testing, just don't want to blow the chance. Tip of the hat, Snow.

1 minute ago, topaz123 said:

Sure, thanks for taking time to walk me thru this...its alotta ANGST.....I have a camera on my Desktop with built in Microphone.....so hoping this goes easy, it's our really last shot for the testing, just don't want to blow the chance. Tip of the hat, Snow.

Sounds like you have it under control! 

One last question and I"ll let you enjoy your life without nteruptions.  Since I am doing the test on the DESKTOP ONLY.....DO I need ton install the NAVICA AP on my phone?  Or do I even need the Navica AP?  Not sure the relationship between the Navica AP and the Emed test site. Thanks...no more bothers from me......

5 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

One last question and I"ll let you enjoy your life without nteruptions.  Since I am doing the test on the DESKTOP ONLY.....DO I need ton install the NAVICA AP on my phone?  Or do I even need the Navica AP?  Not sure the relationship between the Navica AP and the Emed test site. Thanks...no more bothers from me......

It depends. Like I said, I have not tested yet, but I think I read that you get an email with the result that can be printed to take with you. You might be able to access your email if needed at the port to show them, or you could install the app on your phone and use it to access your results. Maybe someone who has actually traveled will see this and respond with what they did.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, snowballs mom said:

It depends. Like I said, I have not tested yet, but I think I read that you get an email with the result that can be printed to take with you. You might be able to access your email if needed at the port to show them, or you could install the app on your phone and use it to access your results. Maybe someone who has actually traveled will see this and respond with what they did.

Here's a fairly detail instructions and what to expect from the point guy: 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/abbott-at-home-covid-test/

Also, he wrote: 

Taking the test

When it was time to test, I downloaded the Navica app, created an account and logged in via the web browser on my computer. I then began a short questionnaire.

• Like 1

I'm just a little confused reading all of this.  Can someone tell me what the cost is for this "at home" test?  Is it a base price to get 6 tests? or can you buy them individually or in smaller numbers?  There are several of us going - some of us are on Medicare - and the rest all have insurance through their work.  WE are also located over 3 states, so we'll be doing them, for the most part, individually.

1 hour ago, Gma&Gpa said:

I'm just a little confused reading all of this.  Can someone tell me what the cost is for this "at home" test?  Is it a base price to get 6 tests? or can you buy them individually or in smaller numbers?  There are several of us going - some of us are on Medicare - and the rest all have insurance through their work.  WE are also located over 3 states, so we'll be doing them, for the most part, individually.

$150 for 6 tests through https://www.emed.com/

$70 for 2 tests or $100 for 3 tests through https://store.optum.com/.  They also sell another home antigen test but only "Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services" is the proctored test you can use for travel.

• Like 1

Great help...I want to do my testing on my home computer with camera,  Do I need the Navica ap, if I only want to do this test on the home computer. I need to print the results out on my printer to take with me,  not sure if a phone ap is necessary if I do the entire Test at home computer...Thoughts?

This information is very helpful, thanks OP. If anyone uses this for an upcoming cruise, please report back. This seems like the best option for us with the lack of testing in our area but I would love to make sure Carnival accepts it before I purchase. We cruise on September 23rd so I am hoping someone can provide feedback before then 🙂 I checked everything against the have fun. be safe. COVID-19 guest protocols, but I would like an extra layer of confirmation.  

I just found these at my local Walgreens in Arizona. They are $23.99 for a box of 2 tests. I am thinking these will fulfill our requirements for a Covid test. The clerk said these fly off the shelves so I bought a couple hoping they will do. 

13068827-B06D-45BF-BD0F-7AFF3746FAB1.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

I just found these at my local Walgreens in Arizona. They are $23.99 for a box of 2 tests. I am thinking these will fulfill our requirements for a Covid test. The clerk said these fly off the shelves so I bought a couple hoping they will do. 

That doesn't appear to be the supervised/proctored version... that won't be acceptable to board. See Post # 42 for a clear visual. 

4 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

These are the "self tests" - they are not proctored and do not give you the official report that cruise lines require. 

The Binax NOW "home tests" are proctored by eMed - these are the ones you need. Currently only available online as far as I know.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

These are the "self tests" - they are not proctored and do not give you the official report that cruise lines require. 

The Binax NOW "home tests" are proctored by eMed - these are the ones you need. Currently only available online as far as I know.

Thanks for the quick response. I will have to take these back. I should have realized they weren’t the right ones when there wasn’t a QR code or website on the outside of the box to have you create an account first😥

1 minute ago, Linsuesue said:

Thanks for the quick response. I will have to take these back. I should have realized they weren’t the right ones when there wasn’t a QR code or website on the outside of the box to have you create an account first😥

I have bought these, too, just to use at home for peace of mind. Wouldn't hurt to keep a couple on hand for that reason.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Linsuesue said:

Here's the one we purchased...I think this is the one for the tele conference thing.....

IMG_8102.JPG

1 minute ago, topaz123 said:

Here's the one we purchased...I think this is the one for the tele conference thing.....

IMG_8102.JPG

So you ordered this online correct? Why don’t they make these available at the local drugstores and make it easy for everyone? These extra tests are really separating the casual cruisers from the die hard ones. The amount of testing and id’s necessary is getting crazy. The CDC is really after the cruise industry. 

52 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

So you ordered this online correct? Why don’t they make these available at the local drugstores and make it easy for everyone? These extra tests are really separating the casual cruisers from the die hard ones. The amount of testing and id’s necessary is getting crazy. The CDC is really after the cruise industry. 

Yes we ordered online. I"ll second that thought about this whole jump over the hoops to get onboard. A test for this , a test for that , this form, that form...yadda, yadda.  As a back up, we are going to try a book a ID NOW test from either Walgreens /or CVS, got to travel about 70 miles to get a test....they fill up immediately, unless you camp on the computer all night, and then there's always the possibility there is a FLUKE in the testing process, internet down, lab had problems, et al. Which brings us to the COVID AT HOME experience..hopefully we can do this without botching it up, might have to have a techno teen help us.  It's enough to take the thrill outta cruising... CUE ( BB KING..The Thrill has Gone"

• Haha 1