Enhanced driver's license enough now?

I am not sure why folks are obsessing about flags, trees or stars on their driver's licenses.  If it is an Enhanced Driver's License from one of the five states (Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont Washington) that issues Enhance Driver's Licenses - then it is plainly stated at the top of the card - the words Enhanced Driver's License.

Recently moved to Michigan here. The EDL is nice to have in my opinion since we mainly cruise the Caribbean on closed-loop so if we happen to forget our passports then we have a back up in our wallets. Also nice since we are in relative driving distance of the border. 

@Djptcp, my friend, every state in the union is moving towards Real ID compliant driver's licenses so we all can travel domestically and enter gov't buildings.

Regarding the difference between a Real ID driver's license and an Enhanced Driver's License (again currently only available from these 5 states (Michigan, Minnesota, NY, VT and WA), the enhanced Driver's license would be enough get you on a US closed loop cruise.  The EDL would allow you to cross the US Canadian border.  A Real ID driver's license would not be accepted ID for either of those two activities.

Think of the difference another way (in terms of usage for cruising)

Enhanced Driver's License - is a proper noun

Real ID driver's license - adjective, because it may have enhanced features, but it still not an actual Enhanced Driver's License

As much as these Enhance DL v Real ID for cruise threads are so redundant,  I keep posting the same message/information i hopes that some CC reader will listen and not show up for their cruise without the correct and needed travel documents.

• Like 1

At the Cruise terminal check-in counter

Check-in Agent:  "Welcome to _______  Cruise Lines.  May I have your passport please?

Passenger   Here is my Florida Real ID, it has a Star (or flag or tree) on it.

Check-in Agent  Hmm, Sir, are you traveling with a passport or birth certificate?

Passenger  No, this is a Real ID.  It has a Star (flag or tree) on it.  Look.

Check-in Agent  Sir, I am sorry, but you would need an Enhanced Driver's License, and unfortunately Florida does not issue Enhanced Driver's Licenses.  Just double checking - you don't have a passport or your birth certificate with you?

Passenger  No, I thought my Real ID with the Star (flag, tree) was all I needed.

Check-in Agent   Sir, I am going to have you speak to my supervisor.  You may want to start thinking about where your birth certificate is located, and who you can ask to find it and have send an electronic copy.

Passenger leaves with supervisor.  Check-in agent looks at her watch to estimate the amount of time the passenger has before the gangway is pulled.  Check-in agent knows that the more time the passengers has, it increases the probability that the gov't issued birth certificate can be found and a copy sent to the pier.

This scenario happens every cruise day on closed loop cruises.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Djptcp said:

ProgRock Cruiser, I beg to differ with you regarding Florida's drivers licenses. I went on the Homeland Security Dept.'s website yesterday and Florida drivers licenses are listed in the states being Real ID.

I'm guessing you are referring to post number four where Progrock Cruiser said,

"Star" DLs are not necessarily EDLs.  Florida issues Read ID DLs, with stars.  They are not EDLs.

If in fact that is correct what part of his statement are you begging to differ about? Seems to me you are confirming the info they posted.

48 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

At the Cruise terminal check-in counter

Check-in Agent:  "Welcome to _______  Cruise Lines.  May I have your passport please?

Passenger   Here is my Florida Real ID, it has a Star (or flag or tree) on it.

Check-in Agent  Hmm, Sir, are you traveling with a passport or birth certificate?

Passenger  No, this is a Real ID.  It has a Star (flag or tree) on it.  Look.

Check-in Agent  Sir, I am sorry, but you would need an Enhanced Driver's License, and unfortunately Florida does not issue Enhanced Driver's Licenses.  Just double checking - you don't have a passport or your birth certificate with you?

Passenger  No, I thought my Real ID with the Star (flag, tree) was all I needed.

Check-in Agent   Sir, I am going to have you speak to my supervisor.  You may want to start thinking about where your birth certificate is located, and who you can ask to find it and have send an electronic copy.

Passenger leaves with supervisor.  Check-in agent looks at her watch to estimate the amount of time the passenger has before the gangway is pulled.  Check-in agent knows that the more time the passengers has, it increases the probability that the gov't issued birth certificate can be found and a copy sent to the pier.

This scenario happens every cruise day on closed loop cruises.

And this is why I always travel with my passport book and card.  Passport card, driver's license and Global Entry card are always in my wallet.  Passport book safely stashed in carry-on luggage until we get to the room, then it goes in the safe.  I would never travel internationally without my passport, it's just asking for trouble.  And yeah, I know people travel on cruises for years with absolutely no issue, but I'm not a big risk-taker, and having a passport is a small price to pay to make sure I'm safe, amortized it's less than $20/year to have both the book & card.  Cheap insurance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Djptcp said:

ProgRock Cruiser, I beg to differ with you regarding Florida's drivers licenses. I went on the Homeland Security Dept.'s website yesterday and Florida drivers licenses are listed in the states being Real ID.

You both are right.  Florida licenses are Real ID licenses, but these are not sufficient to cruise without a birth certificate.  Progrockcruiser is also correct that Florida licenses are not EDL's (Enhanced drivers license), that include a citizenship check, and are sufficient for some international travel, including closed loop cruises, without a birth certificate.  There is a great deal of confusion on most of the public's part over the difference between "Real ID" and "EDL".

• Like 1