Can't come to US due to travel restrictions, what options?

I have parents overseas booked for a NRD cruise for December going out of miami (we had already moved once from a sailing that was scheduled for last November) who are unable to come to the US. What options do I have to not lose out on the deposit? I know I can cancel their booking and reapply the deposit for another booking but it would have to be used on a cruise sometime in 2022 (can't recall exact date), which normally would've been fine, but at this rate I'm not holding my breath travel restrictions will be gone by then. (We thought 2021 would've been plenty of time last year when we rescheduled). My immediate family are still gonna go on the cruise this december, but it's just my parents that are "stuck".

I was thinking to go ahead and just book something as far out as possible, and then if they still can't come, can I just cancel and reschedule again and keep doing that until a year travel restrictions are gone? Our final payment is coming up at end of month.

Ideally I could just cancel and get their deposits back obviously and just book when the travel is more certain.

Suggestions or ideas?

If they truly can't travel due to restrictions Celebrity will probably give refund.

From my Nov 11 cruise group that someone posted last month: Just got an email from Celebrity advising that they are aware that AUS/NZ have travel restrictions and are offering 100% refund. No need to do anything money will be automatically refunded unless we advise that we can go.

They took the refund.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sambao21 said:

I have parents overseas booked for a NRD cruise for December going out of miami (we had already moved once from a sailing that was scheduled for last November) who are unable to come to the US. What options do I have to not lose out on the deposit? I know I can cancel their booking and reapply the deposit for another booking but it would have to be used on a cruise sometime in 2022 (can't recall exact date), which normally would've been fine, but at this rate I'm not holding my breath travel restrictions will be gone by then. (We thought 2021 would've been plenty of time last year when we rescheduled). My immediate family are still gonna go on the cruise this december, but it's just my parents that are "stuck".

I was thinking to go ahead and just book something as far out as possible, and then if they still can't come, can I just cancel and reschedule again and keep doing that until a year travel restrictions are gone? Our final payment is coming up at end of month.

Ideally I could just cancel and get their deposits back obviously and just book when the travel is more certain.

Suggestions or ideas?

I think they can get a full refund for that reason or if they don't like the protocols.  There are people on FB reporting that they are getting full refunds for their NRD for trips as far out as December 2021

They may not allow a full refund yet due to Nov protocols not being out yet.  I would call because they are definitely more flexible now.

I called the other day to get a price drop on a NRD reservation for my sister on our Alaska cruise in May.  The rep noticed she had a $100 change fee and asked what it was from.  I explained that they charged her the fee a few months ago because we had switched from the 5/13/21 sailing to the 5/5/21 sailing.   Unsolicited, the rep said she should not have been charged because of cruise with confidence and took the charge off the booking.

If they do force a FCC, are your parents over 70?  I believe there is still an exception in place to allow FCCs to be transferred from guests over 70 so maybe they can transfer them to you and you can use them to make final payment on your cruise (if you have not already)?

Edited by JessyCruises

Interesting anecdotes. I called royal Caribbean a couple weeks back and the rep specifically said that since it's NRD, they can switch to another sailing but not get a full refund. He did not even offer an option or ask for any kind of support documentation. My dad is over 70, but my mom is not.

I will call again today.

I really wish we all could just go on the cruise. We haven't seen each other in over 3 years, and we had a new boy that they've never met in person.

So I called today and the protocols haven't changed for this sailing and so couldn't cancel.

The rep did suggest that I could cancel and have my parents write a letter stating they would transfer the fcc over to me then I can use it on my booking (we are still planning on going since we are in the U.S....unless things really goes down the tubes). Seeing how they are in china and not native English speakers let alone write, and the fact that I'm already paying for them anyways, it's a lot of hassle to do that dance to basically still pay for my own booking with my own money (even if it's their fcc) and cancelling theirs booking. Seems silly when they could just cancelling outright and not bother with the fcc at all, but at least it's an option...and then the call disconnected so I have to call back again.

So I guess I'm just waiting to see if protocols will change for this sailing before final payment is due in 4 weeks.

Does anyone know if they will send emails specifically if they change protocol for this sailing or where should I be monitoring for that change?

Edited by sambao21

8 hours ago, sambao21 said:

Does anyone know if they will send emails specifically if they change protocol for this sailing or where should I be monitoring for that change?

Keep reading here at CC. someone will likely have better info than you can get from RCI.

I will try. Is there a good way to do that? I mean like any particular thread or do I just have to watch everything? I'm not a prolific cc forum user.

And would anyone know how I can find what sailings already have had protocols changed and are eligible for cancellation?

Just now, sambao21 said:

And would anyone know how I can find what sailings already have had protocols changed and are eligible for cancellation?

Any this month. 

Once CC fixes the search function, you can filter the search to this section and titles only and look for "protocols" or similar. Things may not be settled for a December sailing till Nov.

Thanks.

The gamble I'm in is that final payment is due 9/12 and I have to decide whether to pay RCI  even more money in the hopes that they change protocol in order to be able to get it all back, vs just try and deal with getting the NRD back somehow.

Got a couple more weeks to decide I suppose.