Covid test

1 hour ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Thanks for posting your report. Could I just ask if anyone tested positive and if so what did they have to do also did they inform you of the protocol if the test was positive. 🙄

There were a few on room service after the first onboard test

Sorry for the delay in answering , I was not aware of any one testing positive on the cruise but I believe you would have to isolate in your cabin , our day 2 test results  came through today thankfully both negative.

Sadly passengers have tested positive on the Iceland cruise. They had to leave their cabin to self isolate in special cabins on deck 10. All their food is left on a small table outside this cabin. They won't be allowed to leave this isolation cabin till they arrive back in Newcastle.

This is despite testing negative on embarkation at Newcastle. 

20 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

Sadly passengers have tested positive on the Iceland cruise. They had to leave their cabin to self isolate in special cabins on deck 10. All their food is left on a small table outside this cabin. They won't be allowed to leave this isolation cabin till they arrive back in Newcastle.

Thanks for that, not something we would feel comfortable with so will wait a little longer before spending our vouchers. 

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Hopefully they are isolated in balcony cabins, I hate to think what it would be like in an inside.

Yes they are in balcony cabins. Can choose meals from the menu the day before to be left outside their cabin on a small table. One lady has said she has lost her sense of taste and smell and has no appetite. TV reception not good but phone signal ok although may not work on the two sea days sailing to Orkney. I have friends on board at the moment. So far they are well. Thank goodness.

2 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Wondering if they can order anything and how they entertain themselves 24/7 not really a holiday. 

Yes they can order from the MDR menu. Too cold to sit on the balcony. Have internet on phone but TV reception not good. Must be along day for them. Hope they will be ok.

2 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Lot's of what if’s, could you leave the ship to find you own way home, who would stop you, can you leave your cabin, no but if its not locked who knows, who cleans the cabins. 🤔 Bit negative I know. 

.the ship was in Akureyri so to get home they would have first to get an internal flight to Reykjavik or drive a long way. Plus the local authorities would not like infected people wandering around and I presume part of the local COVID protocols include information on any infected passengers. If the isolation area is anything like P&O a whole section of cabins are behind 'barriers' and staff are present to keep people away. I imagine nobody cleans the cabins until the ship returns to the UK and maybe you can get clean towels and bedding

There was actually a small number of cases on the previous cruise, i would be very suprised if there were none at all given the present levels of infection. The flow tests are not the most accurate of tests but should catch the majority of cases at embarkation ,people could get infected on the way to the ship so that would hardly show up , the protocol onboard is very good if people abide by it and it does feel a very safe enviroment ,certainly safer than at home.

On 9/17/2021 at 4:38 PM, nancyneptune said:

Do you know how they were found to have had the virus, was it there daily temperature test or return to ship temperature test. Still never heard of any infection on our 30th August from Southampton 11 nighter.

Edited by Cliffholl55
Misspell

16 hours ago, Cliffholl55 said:

Do you know how they were found to have had the virus, was it there daily temperature test or return to ship temperature test. Still never heard of any infection on our 30th August from Southampton 11 nighter.

There were definately some on the 30th trip from newcastle ,two of them were on the same bus as us up to the car park , a number of room service stands appeared after the first onboard test on the sunday ,some disappeared after two or three days so they may just have been identified as close contacts or maybe just picked up on the temperature checks, never felt threatened by it as everybody pretty well adhered to all guidelines apart from one idiot and sometimes his wife

On 9/18/2021 at 10:11 PM, Cliffholl55 said:

Passengers had to do a LFT two days before arriving in Iceland. That is when the positive results showed up. They then had to do a PCR test. 

Friends have said a few people have now had to move to isolation cabins as they have been in close contact with Covid positive passengers on a coach tour. They will have to remain in the isolation cabin for the remainder of the cruise. 

Some are very angry and are blaming Marella. Surely they must have been aware of the risks when they booked the cruise.

Lots of comments on Social Media saying these passengers shouldn't need to isolate as the rules have changed in England. That's the problem, some people seem to think that as all restrictions have lifted in England the same applies in other countries and on the ships. Some people refusing to wear masks because they don't have to wear them at home. They have to realise when they book a holiday that they must follow the protocols of the ships, hotels and the countries they are visiting.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jim The Scot said:

Been reading of a number of cases on MSC Virtuosa round UK cruise.A scottish couple who embarked at Greenock were very poorly after contracting covid.

Apparently lack of face mask enforcement on board,queues/free for all buffet and general lax

Hi Jim 😁

Having sailed on 2 Marella ships this year, I can say that they are very strict from what I have seen? The crew remind you if you have started to walk about without a face mask its easy done . Buffet is not self-service and not allowed to stand at the bar. Marella have done everything correct and temperature has to be taken every day with monitors that you have to swipe your cabin card with.  Hope you are well Mr Scot 😷

• Like 1

Hi RR

I,m well thanks,hope your well

Kept up to speed with Marella policy,face masks,temp checks,buffet not self service etc and good to hear Marella are strict on this. 😷

Coming up for almost 2 years since me and Mrs JTS have been on holiday.Booked a 2 day staycation up North/Highlands over school hols so looking forward to that.

Next cruise not pencilled in until July next year.Think its the third time we,ve moved it

Just back home after the Icelandic Adventure from Newcastle and had a brilliant time !!

Have to say that all covid procedures seemed to be working well from our perspective and we were aware that there were cases on board, HOWEVER the isolation procedures, face masks, sanitiser etc appears to have kept the numbers very, very low (I believe only 4 cases in total, according to a local paper after our visit to Orkney) and in our group of 4, we felt very safe in terms of our health.  

There were about 780 passengers on board and about 680 crew.

In our opinion, Marella are doing a good job sticking to procedures and keeping on top of things.

Totally agree with the previous comments about the onboard Internet provision, it is shockingly bad and caused a lot of upset when passengers were attempting to comply with testing procedures and form filling to visit Iceland & then return to the UK.  This could definitely be improved upon.

Overall, we would definitely cruise again with Marella soon (really good prices at the moment) and the next sailing from Newcastle today only has about 400 passengers onboard.

On 9/21/2021 at 10:05 PM, Jim The Scot said:

How did you find the cruise experience RR under the restrictions?

Hi Jim, we are both well ty.

We have now had 2 cruises under the present conditions 1 on the Explorer (UK)  and 1 on Discovery (Greece) all very enjoyable in fact we had a brilliant time on both.  

In fact, we have just booked another 1 on Explorer for Spain at bargain prices too good to turn down.

PS sorry for the late reply as getting ready for Daughter's wedding tomorrow..so much time left .

RR