95% Vaccinated?

5waldos

I believe Celebrity has made significant change in vaccination policy as of Aug 17.  

All passengers 12 and over must be vaccinated, as specifically stated on their website relating to Healthy Sailing/Vaccines.   Children under 12 of course can’t be vaccinated and are allowed to board as part of the “up to 5%” unvaccinated passenger limit.  So, yes up to 5% of passengers can be unvaxed, BUT as of Aug 17, they will only be children.  

Anbit unrelated, friends are on Edge this week and there are 1100 passengers which include 11 children or 1%.    The new rule came into effect this week, so there may be unvaxed adults on board but not for new sailings after Aug 17.  

As Celebrity is starting to sail from Tampa which is one hour from my house, I decided to check what the itineraries would be like.

Currently, except for the first cruise when the ship arrives, the cruises will be 10-11 days in length.  All itineraries have at least one port call that have strict vaccination requirements for cruise ships which pretty much restricts the cruises to fully vaccinated passengers.

Interestingly, the itineraries for the cruises (may have been all that I checked, can't remember) involve departing Tampa, a sea day and then Key West   (distance of 257 nautical miles). 

I couldn't understand the need for a sea day to reach Key West and then I realize it gives time to verify  any vaccination records and required testing and disembark any passenger in Key West that may be problematic.

In  any case, my husband and I are considering a cruise from Tampa in early 2022.

14 hours ago, 5waldos said:

It is really too early to worry about what they will require in April but still-  what is this 95% vaccinated?  Are they anticipating 5% children under age? This seems to be a very strange thing to me- how ever will they determine this? 

It is possible by April that vaccines will get at least an EUA for children and that percentage will increase.

Personally, I don’t think 100% vaccinated will last forever, because there will be rare people who medically can’t get a vaccine and a few children under 2. But I think those changes will happen quietly and much later after Covid becomes endemic and we have learned how to live with it.

4 hours ago, TaxiSquad said:

I believe Celebrity ( note, I said believe), that Celebrity has made a change to their vaccine policy just earlier this week.  As posted by Silkroad, their website states ALL guests 12 and older must be fully vaccinated.  It still says they will be at least 95% vaxed, which I assume allows for children under 12

Given Celebrity’s market is more adult in nature, I’m surprised they didn’t go NCL route and just go with 100% vaccinated sailings.   Maybe a political/PR move with CDC and Florida.   

Also on the last communications I received for our September 5th sailing,  

All guests over the age of two, regardless of vaccination status, will now be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within 72 hours of embarkation. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as all associated costs.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

As Celebrity is starting to sail from Tampa which is one hour from my house, I decided to check what the itineraries would be like.

Currently, except for the first cruise when the ship arrives, the cruises will be 10-11 days in length.  All itineraries have at least one port call that have strict vaccination requirements for cruise ships which pretty much restricts the cruises to fully vaccinated passengers.

Interestingly, the itineraries for the cruises (may have been all that I checked, can't remember) involve departing Tampa, a sea day and then Key West   (distance of 257 nautical miles). 

I couldn't understand the need for a sea day to reach Key West and then I realize it gives time to verify  any vaccination records and required testing and disembark any passenger in Key West that may be problematic.

In  any case, my husband and I are considering a cruise from Tampa in early 2022.

pretty sure those are all Connie sailings...

Since its leaves Tampa in the late afternoon, it would be pretty silly to pull into Key West in the evening, hence the sea day so you get a full day in Wierdosville.

Edited by The_Mac
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, The_Mac said:

pretty sure those are all Connie sailings...

Since its leaves Tampa in the late afternoon, it would be pretty silly to pull into Key West in the evening, hence the sea day so you get a full day in Wierdosville.

I have cruised many times from Tampa with the first port of call being Key West.

Even on those cruises leaving in the evening, we were in Key West early the next morning.

This is the first time I have seen itineraries that allow a full sea day between Tampa and Key West.

And as far as "wierdosville" (sic), I take it you have never actually spent time in Key West and enjoyed the town or the Keys.

It is much more than cruisers from certain lines who get off their ships to hit the bars at 10 AM.

29 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

And as far as "wierdosville" (sic), I take it you have never actually spent time in Key West and enjoyed the town or the Keys.

You gotta admit, it does have its unusual features.  What other town can you name that had an official Chicken Catcher instead of a Dog Catcher?

Back on topic:  We are on the first 10 night out of Tampa, and no KW stop on that cruise.  Too bad.. It's always made for an interesting stop.

On 8/21/2021 at 9:30 AM, Homosassa said:

I have cruised many times from Tampa with the first port of call being Key West.

Even on those cruises leaving in the evening, we were in Key West early the next morning.

This is the first time I have seen itineraries that allow a full sea day between Tampa and Key West.

It is much more than cruisers from certain lines who get off their ships to hit the bars at 10 AM.

Ah, a full sea day.  That is odd.

I have indeed been to kw.  Many times.  It's full of weirdos.

Being weird isn't a bad thing.

We have a town here in MA thats weird as well.  Provincetown.

Edited by The_Mac