U.S. CDC asks travelers at high risk of severe COVID-19 to avoid cruises

AFKEL

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It's happier over here in LaLaland (or, as I like to refer to it, the "sunny side of the street"). 

The names may change, but those ships aren't going to be sunk any time soon. 😎

LOl- I don’t know about that-  it’s true i am sad for the industry but I’m pretty darn happy with the profits I’ve made in just the last few weeks. In fact, so pleased I have recently added an additional month in Maui next winter. I’m sure lalaland has its perks, but Im choosing to park right here in the middle of realityville and make lemonade :). 

Ps- I agree- the ships themselves won’t sink anytime soon. 

17 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

If you don't think this 'warning' from the CDC is going to keep some people off cruise ships you are living in LaLaland. Of course, some people will still travel, but news like this hurts the industry. 

For months here at the pro-cruise industry forum the steady call has been to 'follow the CDC guidelines' and have been heavily interspersed with the support for the 'cruise line following the CDC guidelines to protect themselves from virus related claims.'

That seemed all hunky dory for most and no problem with documentation requirements.

So, now what is the 'temperature of sentiment?  The CDC guidelines are for those in HIGH RISK GROUPS to avoid cruising "even if vaccinated!"

Obesity

Heart or Lung

Immune System

et al

Those HIGH RISK comprise a significant % of the cruising customer base, especially depending on the 'age' demarcation and the combination of other underlying health risks.

Again, consistent with the previous sentiments expressed that the cruise lines 'had to follow the CDC guidelines' to protect them from claims, shouldn't the cruise lines now require documentation of the non-existence of HIGH RISK conditions?

• Like 1

The news hit C-span/Bloomberg this morning. Market will likely respond.

Oddly, the only thing I can find regarding age recommendation from the CDC is this....

image.thumb.png.575415d0fa533f330a9574161351a2b9.png

Certainly they can't be recommending everyone over the age of 45 stay off cruise ships? 😉

Your point about documentation is very interesting. I'm also interested to know how this might effect both travel and personal insurance policies. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Certainly they can't be recommending everyone over the age of 45 stay off cruise ships? 😉

I believe that we can extend this to "100% of all deaths occur in people between the ages of zero and 150."  So as long as we only allow passengers older than one hundred and fifty, we should be fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/21/2021 at 9:38 AM, rabidstoat said:

Boosters are coming soon in the US, I have some senior friends who are not cruising on fully vaccinated cruises until they get their booster. Which will be in like November.

I got mine this week, Moderna at CVS. Boosters are available at many drug stores.

My concern is not other passengers but being in port and mingling with people I have no idea are vaccinated.

Edited by cruzsnooze

On 8/23/2021 at 12:55 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I just did the math in another thread. The recent Jade sailing has 11 positive so far with 1,200 passengers for a rate of about 1%. Florida currently has an infection rate of about .6%.  So with those numbers, you are less likely to contract the virus in Florida than last week's NCL Jade sailing (and the jade was 100% vaccinated).

With that said, this wouldn't stop me from cruising. I do think it's inaccurate to believe that a cruise ship is significantly safer than home since that appears to depend on whether or not your particular sailing has the virus onboard.  Regardless, the odds of contracting are still quite small.

I don’t know if I would do the math that way. To look at it differently, from four days ago:  >>>the statewide new-case positivity rate rose for a ninth straight week, reaching 19.8%.

I know you’re taking the cases divided by total Florida population, but considering many cases are asymptomatic, that positivity rate would imply a much larger number of cases than what it known. That’s a way higher positivity rate than the Jade.

I still would “feel safer” in the fully vaccinated NCL ship than I would on a trip to Florida.  Having said that, we still have both planned for this year.  I’ll just be more paranoid about it on the Florida trip than I will on the Breakaway. 

Edited by psac

On 8/20/2021 at 5:24 PM, AFKEL said:

I'm fully vaxxed and expect to have my booster before my December cruise.  I read the article as something of a CYA.  

Personally, I intend to take precautions but I'm also going to live my life.  Between now and my cruise I'm on at least 3 RT flights, business and pleasure.  I hope if I AM exposed that the breakthrough case would be relatively mild because, from what I've heard, that's the probability.  

Unrelated, I'm going to get a test a few days before I fly to the port because, in the off chance I AM COVID-positive, it wouldn't make sense to get on a flight only to be quarantined when I arrive.