Saint Greg's Mardi Gras - LIVE - August 28th-September 4th 2021

Saint Greg

On 8/30/2021 at 6:03 PM, Saint Greg said:

It’s really interesting sitting down here on the end with all of the walk ups. Those are the complaints. The people that want soda. The people that want beer. Etc.

The people that have never cruised Carnival.  🤔

On 8/31/2021 at 7:02 AM, sid_9169 said:

I wonder what the odds are that I could make away with that awesome bowl?... I can't wait to try Rudi's, I've got two reservations...

On 8/31/2021 at 8:02 AM, Saint Greg said:

Might be painful if you shove that down your pants.

Even more painful if he wears the same pants during the second reservation and forgets about the bowl.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:45 AM, Saint Greg said:

I would have a backup and a backup to the backup.

Especially since it's now 48 hours instead of 72 hours ahead of time. 

7:00 AM PCR test on 10/21 @ Quest Diagnostics Lab for 10/23 Mardi Gras cruise.  Will schedule a Rapid Antigen for that same afternoon and if both fall through, it'll be pot luck at the port with Carnival's yet to be determined third party set up.

On 9/1/2021 at 11:21 AM, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Now they are catching on although not totally true. Alchemy made me a drink I absolutely love but it’s $14 a pop.

That's why you invest 60.00 per day and enjoy Cheers.  Saint Greg has an inside cabin and Cheers, others have a balcony and 1 or 2 alcoholic drinks per day....who's gonna have a better cruise?

On 9/1/2021 at 12:57 PM, mac21902 said:

My in-laws are on Magic and sent me pics from their balcony of Mardi Gras. I was told they aren't letting anyone off the Carnival Magic ship at Amber Cove. They were denied debarkation. 

On 9/1/2021 at 1:03 PM, Saint Greg said:

Thats crazy

There was a problem with multiple crew members testing positive.  They were quarantined and Carnival was only letting vaccinated guests off of the ship.  Debarkation was eventually allowed.

On 9/1/2021 at 1:36 PM, WhiteOptima said:

Looks awesome!  Want to do this ship but have been on Vista and Horizon when full capacity and it was a nightmare.  Only thing that saved me was booking in Havanna and eating breakfast and lunch near there,

So, book within the next four months while reduced capacity is still in effect.

On 9/1/2021 at 5:59 PM, cruisin*tigger said:

Did you get all your VIFP perks?  I don't gamble so never use the slot entry, but it was fun playing a bit with the $25 they gave me.  If you didn't know about it, I know it says August, but I would go ask for it anyway since August was yesterday.  🙂 You have to ask at the cashier and they put it on your card.

image.png.a0fa7e6ea2380f6dc122a29347652991.png

I believe it will be every cruise until they re-institute the tournament

17 hours ago, WhiteOptima said:

Seems to me if they have food at Java and breakfast buffet at P&A they realize that the buffet is way too crowded so that is good.  I am wondering about your YTD though?  Are you paying for meals every night if you aren’t going to the MDR?  We rarely go there when we cruise and like having other options.

YTD on the Mardi Gras for the inaugural season also includes Chibang, Cucina del Capitano and Pig & Anchor at no additional charge.  Steakhouse (38), Teppanyaki (32), Rudi's (38) Sushi & Emeril's are a la carte pricing.   No idea if the 3 included venues will be charging 15 at the first 2 and a la carte at P&G or not.  It seems like the portions comparing Chibang to Jiji's and certain entrees at Cucina are substantially smaller than at comparable venues on the Horizon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I haven’t asked. It’s pointless unless they’re going to give me the $100 for not canceling because I’ve already spent the rest of my credits without that. I may go by tomorrow and make another attempt at that $100 or have them move charges to my 12% off gift card. But the line was too long today.

No special roped off area for Diamonds and Platinums?

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

That's why you invest 60.00 per day and enjoy Cheers.  Saint Greg has an inside cabin and Cheers, others have a balcony and 1 or 2 alcoholic drinks per day....who's gonna have a better cruise?

Well that is just one of many decisions value-wise that cruisers should make in advance, if possible, it is very personal depending on your situation, and one of the reasons we get treated to so many grumbly after the fact reviews about what someone didn't like.

I didn't like my crappy inside cabin, I wanted a balcony! Okay, well did you book one and pay for it?

I didn't like paying 60 per day for Cheers and only drinking 3 drinks per day!  Okay, why did you buy that package if you don't drink enough to justify it?

I didn't like the food in the buffet! It was like a cafeteria and had just been sitting there for 5-10 minutes on a steam table before I served myself! Okay, you know you can eat most of your meals in a fully seated and served dining room, for no extra charge, right?

Etc.  Etc.  Etc.  They're both going to have a better cruise if they bought and paid for what has value to them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

YTD on the Mardi Gras for the inaugural season also includes Chibang, Cucina del Capitano and Pig & Anchor at no additional charge.  Steakhouse (38), Teppanyaki (32), Rudi's (38) Sushi & Emeril's are a la carte pricing.   No idea if the 3 included venues will be charging 15 at the first 2 and a la carte at P&G or not.  It seems like the portions comparing Chibang to Jiji's and certain entrees at Cucina are substantially smaller than at comparable venues on the Horizon.

Chibang! portion for my sweet and sour shrimp was tasty but indeed was rather small and did not come with rice or noodles unless you ordered those as your side. However, it was adequate and I was still full after that dinner.  I think people are not going to like paying $15 per person, however. It was a nice enough experience but it does not feel elevated over the Flamingo YTD dining room. Feels like simply another dining room, which is how they are using it. 

We went to Bonsai Sushi one time for very early dinner right when they opened, got a Bento box for me and a Boat for Two for hubs and teen and it looked impressive and gorgeous but was not actually a very large dinner for 3 people. However, later that evening while teen was off at O2, we growns went in between comedy shows around 9:15 to P&A which was immediate seating, fast food delivery and quite delicious.  

As has been noted, post 10pm food availability is an issue. Nightlife is totally hopping at that time and the 24 hour pizza and swirls on deck 8 is NOT sufficient to meet demand.  The adjacent panini/deli should stay open at least until midnight and so should Emeril's down on 6, though it is an extra charge as noted. JavaBlue quick grabs probably should as well. All of these 4 venues (pizza, panini, Emeril's, JavaBlue) are close to center ship and a lot of the nighttime venues, i.e. Grand Central, Alchemy, Fortune Teller and Brass Magnolia.

There is so much daytime / early evening food available that we never got to Emeril's but at least 3 times we would have dropped in late had it been open.

15 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Well that is just one of many decisions value-wise that cruisers should make in advance, if possible, it is very personal depending on your situation, and one of the reasons we get treated to so many grumbly after the fact reviews about what someone didn't like.

I didn't like my crappy inside cabin, I wanted a balcony! Okay, well did you book one and pay for it?

I didn't like paying 60 per day for Cheers and only drinking 3 drinks per day!  Okay, why did you buy that package if you don't drink enough to justify it?

I didn't like the food in the buffet! It was like a cafeteria and had just been sitting there for 5-10 minutes on a steam table before I served myself! Okay, you know you can eat most of your meals in a fully seated and served dining room, for no extra charge, right?

Etc.  Etc.  Etc.  They're both going to have a better cruise if they bought and paid for what has value to them. 

Had a curve ball last week.  My DW ended up in the hospital and is now in rehab. Been on CC sporadically, so I just spent the last few hours reading about 50 pages of this thread.  We were supposed to be on the Horizon for 6 days this week but I was able to flip us for an extra 400 bucks and make our October MG cruise a B2B. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Had a curve ball last week.  My DW ended up in the hospital and is now in rehab. Been on CC sporadically, so I just spent the last few hours reading about 50 pages of this thread.  We were supposed to be on the Horizon for 6 days this week but I was able to flip us for an extra 400 bucks and make our October MG cruise a B2B. 

Sorry to hear of this SNJ. Hope your MG cruise is wonderful and look forward to seeing your review. 🙂