Cancellation & Possible Rebooking

Packman1000

In over 20 years of cruising on Princess, we have never had to cancel a cruise.  Nor have we ever booked a cruise less than 90 days prior to departure.  We are currently booked on the 11/27 departure to the Mexican Riviera, but are not sure we want to go because of Covid.  Our final payment is due next week  Our deposit was made with two FCD's from Princess-cancelled cruises, so no additional deposit money is involved .  I am familiar with all of the health and cancellation policies of Princess so I know we could pay for the cruise and still cancel up to 30 days out for a FCC.  However, the ship we are sailing on has a lot of open cabins.  What would be the downside of canceling this cruise now, and waiting another month or two to see how the Covid situation transpires?  If Covid improves, and we decide we would like to go, why couldn't we just book it again?  I know the price could increase, though it could also decrease.  Is there anything we could lose, like FCD's ($200 pp) or the goodwill credits ($75 pp) we have received from Princess-cancel cruises? 

I think Princess could answer these questions better than any of us as they seem to be having many changes in how they are responding to new developments. I would just be sure to get it in writing  that such and such a protocol would apply if you were to rebook. They seem to be very confused at a corporate level.  Ask for a supervisor and get names etc etc. Don’t take anybody at their word. 

• Like 1

We are in somewhat a similar situation with a December cruise that has a September Final Payment date. There are four of us, and two staterooms, involved. As the final payment date approaches, we will make a go/no go decision as a group.

If it's no go, we don't make the payment and get the deposit (nominal) refunded.

If it's go, we still will re-evaluate up to the point we get in the car to leave for the port. Maybe even after that. 

If we ever decide NOT to go, it's completely independent of rebooking and (hopefully) FCC decisions. Up to and including letting part or all of the money go. That's just where we are at this point.

Edited by CruiseMrB

Since you are cancelling before final payment is due you should get back your deposit provided the cruise you booked had a refundable deposit (most do, but occasionally some promotions are non-refundable). Confirm whether your deposit is refundable ( your booking confirmation should state this information). 

Generally any FCD, FCC or Goodwill credits would be restored to your captains circle account when the booking is cancelled.  

Whether you work with a TA or directly with Princess it’s a good idea to have them confirm the expiration dates of your Goodwill FCC (those I have seen are good through Dec 2022).  You may also want to confirm the expiration date of your FCD if you are unsure. That way you have a clear understanding of how long you have to use them. 

I would call Princess or your TA so they can walk you through the specifics of your booking/ cancellation. 

Thank you.  This is the advice I was looking for.  I will call Princess to find out my options.  My only concern is that our Princess rep will surely try to talk me out of canceling.  She is very pushy when it comes to making/keeping reservations.