Best timing for dinner and shows?

Named-Tawny

Hello friends!

I'm sailing on the Breakaway in January, which means I'm coming up to my 120 day window to start booking dinner reservations soon.  Obviously, I don't know which days what shows will be on yet, but I want to make sure that I don't miss something fantastic.

Would I be correct to assume that most shows perform at 7pm and 9pm?

Likewise, would a 7pm dinner reservation be reasonable to catch the late show?  And likewise a 9pm dinner reservation late enough to make it on time after the early show?

If anybody has any tips, tricks, or suggestions for good dinner times to ensure you can take in the entertainment as well, that would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

Would I be correct to assume that most shows perform at 7pm and 9pm?

Likewise, would a 7pm dinner reservation be reasonable to catch the late show?  And likewise a 9pm dinner reservation late enough to make it on time after the early show?

Yes that is correct

• Thanks 1

A dinner reservation will block 2 hours on your schedule. The system will not allow you to book a conflicting show. 

For your consideration, you can book Burn The Floor and Six. You may also be able to book Velvet dinner show (extra charge). You can only book comedy shows onboard. 

As an example only (from another ship) on what you can book on embarkation day. 

40AC4CAD-6A8A-48E1-81E7-29C6B2EC8333.png

I’ve had very good luck with early dinners. This makes it easier to plan too since you don’t always know 120 days in advance what entertainment may be available on any given night. Make reservations for 1730 dinner, have time to eat and catch main acts in the theatre or in time to get in line for the Beatles or whatever else is going on. 1900-2200 is “Prime time” IMO and I’d rather be out doing things than eating during that time. Also because of the rather early dining, I’m ready for the local or a late night snack, room service around 2300, 0000. 
to me it’s a pretty good balance, and while you don’t have to rush dinner it’s not a bad idea to let your waiter know you’re trying to catch 1900,1930 show.

We just got off the Gem and we did our shows after a 7pm dinner.  Caveat: We were in the Haven so had access to dedicated/reserved seating.   We found ourselves getting to the show right before it started.  So it can be a bit tight.

Now, after doing this for several shows, I've decided that next time I would consider reversing things and doing the early show and THEN having dinner.  We found ourselves struggling to stay away, despite the quality of the shows.  Long day + early dinner == drowsiness.   We're going on the Escape in April,

so we'll need to try the early show / late dinner and see how that goes.

We usually book an early dinner, 5:30-6, which is enough time to make a 7pm show.  Except for specialty restaurants, you won't have a problem just walking into the MDR at 8pm after the show if you couldn't make the early reserved seating.