MSC Meriviglia 4 nights August 23, 2021 - trip report with photos

Match Game 72

We ate lunch in the buffet and disembarked for Ocean Cay. The rain had stopped, the sun was out, but it was still windy. We went directly to Lighthouse Beach. All seats were taken and loads of people were in the water. We tossed our stuff under a palm tree. Then, another passenger offered us their seats. He told us the weather was going to change in 20 minutes. We went swimming anyhow, and he was right. The rain started again. Without thunder and lightning, about twenty passengers remained swimming and laughing. Eventually the lifeguard called us in to return to the ship. We slogged our wet selves back to the cabin.

The island remained closed for the rest of the day. The cruise director announced that the captain would stay for a full day tomorrow until 5:30 pm instead of leaving at noon. I thought it was unusual that we did not hear directly from the captain. On our previous MSC cruises, the captain has made daily announcements. On this Meriviglia cruise, I do not recall hearing from the captain once. 

• Like 2

On Wednesday evening, we ate in our assigned dining room, Panorama. Here I will comment on the dining room. It was a lovely restaurant with simple furnishings and good lighting. I thought it was strange that two tv monitors played a loop of MSC ads. This seemed out of place in an otherwise elegant venue.

The dinner menu was abbreviated when compared to our previous experiences. For example, all dinner menus did not have a beef option. Also, the everyday options no longer include the New York strip steak. Now it is offered for a $9.95 plus 15% upcharge. This was a disappointing change.

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner menus for Day 2 that I forgot to post earlier

QR_A_MD_BREAKFAST_DAY2_EN_1629850189.pdf QR_A_MD_DINNER_DAY2_EN_1629849967.pdf QR_A_MD_LUNCH_DAY2_EN_1629850166.pdf

Edited by Match Game 72

Wednesday dinner was Caribbean night

IMG-0191.thumb.PNG.1f1a637fbb208e11b39babb3ea5476b6.PNG

IMG-0192.PNG

Pork Skewer

IMG-0193.jpg

Virgin Island salad - remarkably good vinaigrette

IMG-0194.jpg

Guacamole and Corn Tortillas (when the server saw DS' disappointed face at the portion size, he brought him a big bowl of chips!)

IMG-0195.jpg

Fisherman's Plate

IMG-0196.jpg

That upcharge NY Strip Steak

IMG-0197.jpg

Edited by Match Game 72
  • Like 2

On this evening there was no scheduled show in the Broadway Theatre. We enjoyed some live music in the various bars and lounges. On the trip, the lounge performers were really very good. We enjoyed several singers over the four evenings.

At 10 pm, we watched the Lighthouse show from our balcony. I thought it was pretty and nicely choreographed to the music.

DSCN6158.thumb.JPG.8e6e6b59066c1cb95f189c231188c347.JPG

• Like 2

Thursday, a full day at Ocean Cay

After breakfast in the buffet, we disembarked around 10 am and walked to South Beach. 

Oatmeal, french toast, pancake, hash browns, vegatable fritatta

20210827_080600.thumb.jpg.dc48aa71369a2fce15ad8e07fd70bdf6.jpg

French toast, fruit salad (consistently very fresh), potatoes, sausage, cranberry juice

20210827_080605.thumb.jpg.6f8d8cdbcb0481f52b14f9b2ce97afd4.jpg

• Like 2

Since there were so few passengers, this was plenty of space for us all to spread out. There were more than enough loungers available at South Beach. I did not experience any lines at the bars. I was always alone in the ladies rooms. Plus the Seakers buffet had more than enough tables in the shade during peak lunch time. Face masks were required at the buffet building.

The buffet choices were very good and included five different types of salads, beef ribs, mahi mahi, chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers, and french fries. Dessert options were watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, macadamia nut cookies, brownies, and blondies. The quality of the food was very good. Throughout our cruise, hot food was hot, and cold food was cold.

I spent some time snorkeling. I saw a few good size light gray fish with yellow fins. We also saw some jellyfish which did not bother us. On the whole, the water was cloudy in the lagoon near South Beach.
After rinsing off at the outdoor showers, we headed back to the ship to take a real shower. 

• Like 2

Our Easy drink package worked just as well on the island. Since 2020, the included drinks have improved with the addition of mojitos, margaritas, and blue Hawaiians, for example.

One of the Ocean Cay bars

DSCN6177.thumb.JPG.15efadd44bc0b4b9b0e40ec0b18dfb42.JPG

Outdoor showers at one of the restroom buildings

DSCN6176.thumb.JPG.72b59e3f1d57e1301765c6e21faefc2b.JPG

A small, extra charge ice cream restaurant

DSCN6178.thumb.JPG.c8fade9de3db76e304fbd1fa3a92787b.JPG

Price list for ice cream

DSCN6179.thumb.JPG.32580f57256fb5c232874304b5a7527d.JPG

• Like 3

Along the way, I appreciated the breeze that helped with the heat. At the Lighthouse, we had an unexpected treat of live music - a man singing and playing guitar. Again, he was a very good performer, and we stayed until the end of his set.

DSCN6185.thumb.JPG.1bd982ed77a71320dfcec16f55734ee9.JPG

DSCN6186.thumb.JPG.9e3c750db35474f8e1f09a1852c82526.JPG

DSCN6187.thumb.JPG.b14f686b862ee1192f91228a60795506.JPG

DSCN6188.thumb.JPG.2d95c270a9d3c13a87aa986162b6e28c.JPG

• Like 2

Our final dinner onboard was taken in the Panoramic restaurant. We had the same servers for three evenings, and they were top notch. Personable and friendly without being obtrusive, they provided excellent customer service.

IMG-0202.thumb.PNG.47a085752daea233e36e38f0277d3dad.PNG

IMG-0203.thumb.PNG.abb4f0172dcd79bcfd3a35de2cbb9b20.PNG

I forgot to take meal pictures, but I remember that the lasagna was very good. It was exactly like other times I've selected it on MSC.

Tiramisu

IMG-0204.thumb.jpg.786462c017c2f40d018abe2726cfb4ab.jpg

• Like 2

Friday, travel day
MSC requires that cabins are vacated by 8 am. We said farewell to our cabin steward who always kept our room clean and provided several fun towel animals. 

Our final breakfast was at the buffet. Each morning, staff recorded our temperatures. On the final morning, there was no temperatures taken, but we were reminded to wash our hands before entering.

Throughout the cruise, the buffet was not self service. Plexiglass had been put up between the passengers’ trays and the food. At each station, staff would place the food on a clean plate and we carried it on a provided tray. This resulted in many small dishes, but, really, it was much cleaner than self service. I preferred not having to scoop our own food. Servers would provide as much or as little as requested.

We saw Freedom of the Seas from our balcony.

DSCN6213.thumb.JPG.0999fb901caa8a76bd6c4f08f59424e3.JPG

Taxis lined up and ready

DSCN6215.thumb.JPG.5d03a7df86eab671118aa824cd365a78.JPG

View of Miami from the balcony. The Meriviglia caste a large shadow.

DSCN6217.thumb.JPG.c2977d274d5b33315ef5e0a1f372ed9f.JPG

• Like 2

After breakfast, we sat at a poolside table until the call for all passengers to disembark was made.

Disembarkation had begun around 7 am, and by 9 am, all passengers were asked to leave. At the security exit, there was a bin to return our tracking bracelets. After another long walk through the Miami cruise terminal, we had no problem finding our bags since so few bags remained.

Customs was a quick facial scan. I don't think the officers looked at our passports at all. Outside we got into a taxi ($27 flat fee to the airport) without any wait, and we were driven to the Miami airport for a four hour wait for our flight back to Baltimore.

Our Southwest flight was late arriving from Houston. So we were late taking off. Then, our landing in Baltimore was thwarted by a lightning storm. So all in all we had a late start to our nine hour drive which was ten hours with traffic and construction.

Was that drive worth it? You betcha. We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on the Meriviglia. Our only complaint? Four nights is too short. Our next cruise is planned on MSC Seashore for seven nights.

If you have any questions, I will try to answer them. I brought all of the paper Daily planners home. I also have some kids club activity schedules. Let me know if you want to see them.

Edited by Match Game 72
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you so much for this great insight into cruising with MSC. It is really appreciated. Love the photos of Ocean Cay particularly, what a pretty place to visit. Can’t wait for our cruise mid-October. So glad you had a fab time.