MSC Meriviglia 4 nights August 23, 2021 - trip report with photos

Match Game 72

1 hour ago, SpeedySal said:

Thank you so much for this great insight into cruising with MSC. It is really appreciated. Love the photos of Ocean Cay particularly, what a pretty place to visit. Can’t wait for our cruise mid-October. So glad you had a fab time.

You're welcome. We really enjoyed Ocean Cay. 

There were plenty of loungers. The plants are growing to be lovely. And the lunch buffet was the best we have had on a cruise line private island. 

If you plan to look for some shade, you will need to rent an umbrella or a cabana. There was not much natural shade.

On the other hand, it was very easy to use our drink package. And the restrooms/outdoor showers were very clean.

Edited by Match Game 72
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Match Game 72 said:

Peanut butter cookies

Those are the most odd Peanut Butter Cookies I have seen.  

Thank you so much for your excellent, detailed report with good photos.  Very interesting to read.  Your posting of the menus provided clear and easy to read views of what was offered.  Thanks!  

I am glad that your opinion of Ocean Cay mirrors mine.  It's an exceptional Private Island experience in my opinion.  The Lighthouse Show, by itself, makes it so unique.  

23 hours ago, Match Game 72 said:

On our previous MSC cruises, the captain has made daily announcements. On this Meriviglia cruise, I do not recall hearing from the captain once. 

It's possible that the Captain's English may not be the best.  I have struggled to understand some PA announcements of some Captains on other ships.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Those are the most odd Peanut Butter Cookies I have seen.  

It's possible that the Captain's English may not be the best.  I have struggled to understand some PA announcements of some Captains on other ships.  

The  cookies may have been square, but they were tasty. 🙂

Your mention of language reminds me that we very rarely (if at all?) heard multi-language announcements. I am sure that fewer Europeans were onboard when compared to our other MSC cruises. I'm looking forward to the future when we have more international travelers again.

• Like 1

Thank you for your trip report.

I will be sailing in January so I understand things may be different by then, but were you required to take a COVID test 3 days before the cruise as well as being tested at the pier? I thought they were no longer testing at the pier.

19 minutes ago, cruiser82 said:

Thank you for your trip report.

I will be sailing in January so I understand things may be different by then, but were you required to take a COVID test 3 days before the cruise as well as being tested at the pier? I thought they were no longer testing at the pier.

You are correct that things are very much in flux regarding health protocols.

I saw (briefly) on MSC's website that we needed a test prior to arrival at the port. Then, that direction was removed for our sailing. We got tested 2 days prior just to be sure, but that paperwork was not needed at the port.

We were each tested at the port prior to embarkation (Aug 23).

I strongly recommend that you keep an eye on the MSC website for any changes prior to your cruise.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am glad that your opinion of Ocean Cay mirrors mine.  It's an exceptional Private Island experience in my opinion.  The Lighthouse Show, by itself, makes it so unique.  

Thanks, MatchGame for a lovely report.  Can either you or RKA  answer a question for me?  I'm on the Divina in 3 weeks with 2 days at Ocean Cay.  I have limited mobility, walk with a walker or a cane.  It's my understanding that there is a tram that takes you around to the various beaches.  What beach would you recommend for me.  It's hard to walk in the sand and to walk long distances.  Any recommendations?  Thanks!

12 hours ago, maureencruiser said:

Thanks, MatchGame for a lovely report.  Can either you or RKA  answer a question for me?  I'm on the Divina in 3 weeks with 2 days at Ocean Cay.  I have limited mobility, walk with a walker or a cane.  It's my understanding that there is a tram that takes you around to the various beaches.  What beach would you recommend for me.  It's hard to walk in the sand and to walk long distances.  Any recommendations?  Thanks!

Hi! We were at Ocean Cay August 2nd.  There are beach wheelchairs available at no charge right when you get off the ship if you have someone along with you that can push.  We went to South Beach which is closest to the buffet lunch. It was an easy walk for me to push my mom along the walking path as well as on the sand to a lounger. 

Hope you have a great cruise!

images.jfif

• Like 4

13 hours ago, maureencruiser said:

I was a YC guest and there was a tram that took me to/from the Ocean House and the beaches in that area.  Not sure if their is a tram available for non-YC guests.  I'd suggest that you try to contact MSC to see if you are able to get an answer.

My mobility has become limited and am more comfortable using a cane when I need to do so.  The beach closest to the ship, which is easily seen when you arrive at Ocean Cay, is the one that might be the easiest for your to visit.  Walking in the sand?  Not something that I would now do, however.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tlmaule said:

Hi! We were at Ocean Cay August 2nd.  There are beach wheelchairs available at no charge right when you get off the ship if you have someone along with you that can push.  We went to South Beach which is closest to the buffet lunch. It was an easy walk for me to push my mom along the walking path as well as on the sand to a lounger. 

Hope you have a great cruise!

images.jfifUnavailable

Thanks, I'm solo, but, maybe that's the best beach for me.  

16 hours ago, maureencruiser said:

You are correct about the tram. We saw several driving folks around.

I saw a sand-friendly wheelchair at Lighthouse Beach which is the beach closest to the ship. It seemed like it was there to be used by anyone who needed it.

Edit: I see tlmaule gave some good info already.

Edited by Match Game 72
  • Like 1

Many thanks to the wonderful and very well documented review!... Congrats!...

Permit me just a few observations:

if there is something this review very well shows, that is the huge success the current MSC's cruising return strategy is being to date!... They might to be seen as the most demanding cruise line on what Covid regulations gives respect, but on one thing I've no doubts: If there would to be another cruise lock down, MSC won't to be the culprit of it. Surely they've the odd positive here or there... But they'll avoid such an outbreak as far as they can!... Bravo MSC!...

Because of the aforementioned Covid regulations, it is to be expected to have those reduced menus. I wouldn't like to be the executive Chef aboard those ships right now! Let's see what their challenges are these days: To pleasantly feed a reduced crew and passenger mix while avoiding both a huge food waste and possible cross contamination across both the food preparation and service lines and the ones being served movements as well!... That would to be very challenging to say the least!... Given this current situation I wouldn't mind to pay for that extra fee steak aboard if nothing else fancied me that day!... And at least that steak on the photo seemed to have been of specialty restaurant "Filet Mignon" quality, just the menu wording might not have been the best!...

Ocean Cay is in a great position to become one of the best, if not even the best, private island industry wise. Let them to have some more 10 years to have all that vegetation to grow up!... Maybe, one day it will be my turn to experiment that lovely place!...

Have a nice day!...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Ocean Cay is in a great position to become one of the best, if not even the best, private island industry wise. Let them to have some more 10 years to have all that vegetation to grow up!..

Completely agree with you!  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

I'm sorry if I missed this in your report.  Were there Early and Late Dinner seatings or was it open in the main dining rooms?

The first night was open seating.

After that evening, first seating was 

5:45

6:00

6:30

Second seating was 

8:15

8:30

9:00

Aurea experience was open seating 6:30 - 9:00.

Buffet dinner was 6:00 - 9:00.

5 minutes ago, Match Game 72 said:

The first night was open seating.

After that evening, first seating was 

5:45

6:00

6:30

Second seating was 

8:15

8:30

9:00

Aurea experience was open seating 6:30 - 9:00.

Buffet dinner was 6:00 - 9:00.

Thank you.  How did they do the multiple times for each seating?  Could you go at any of the times?  I've never seen that before.

Edited by Native Floridian 26

6 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Because of the aforementioned Covid regulations, it is to be expected to have those reduced menus. I wouldn't like to be the executive Chef aboard those ships right now! Let's see what their challenges are these days: To pleasantly feed a reduced crew and passenger mix while avoiding both a huge food waste and possible cross contamination across both the food preparation and service lines and the ones being served movements as well!... That would to be very challenging to say the least!... Given this current situation I wouldn't mind to pay for that extra fee steak aboard if nothing else fancied me that day!... And at least that steak on the photo seemed to have been of specialty restaurant "Filet Mignon" quality, just the menu wowordi

I agree with you on the menu. It was smaller, even in the buffet. However, we always had plenty of good choices. The fruit was very good: plums, apples, pears, grapes, watermelon, pineapple, cantaloupe, and honey dew.

• Like 1

Just now, Native Floridian 26 said:

Thank you.  How did they do the multiple times for each seating?  Could you go at any of the times?  I've never seen that before.

Each of the three times corresponds to a different restaurant. Your time is based on which restaurant you are assigned to.

I imagine that you could speak with the maitre d to have the restaurant switched.

• Like 2

I am going to add on to this report in lieu of starting a new thread.  I was on the same cruise in Yacht Club Deluxe Suite 15009, a forward facing balcony.  I had an exceptional experience on this cruise and have already started the process of reserving a longer cruise on this same ship in a similar cabin for early next year.  I felt the service was excellent, the food in the YC very good, and the YC private area at Ocean Cay was wonderfully relaxing.  I am going to add links to some videos I took onboard below, then will add some of my photos in subsequent posts.

YC Cabin 15009 Walk Through

Meraviglia Final Approach to Ocean Cay

Sunrise Going Into Ocean Cay

Yacht Club Beach on Ocean Cay

Ocean Cay Yacht Club Area to Dock, Part 1

Ocean Cay Yacht Club Area to Dock, Part 2

Ocean Cay Lighthouse Show

Rainbow Forms Over MSC Meraviglia at Ocean Cay

Sky Lounge 360 Video on MSC Meraviglia

• Like 3