Electrical outlets on the ship

phoenix_dream

3 hours ago, the penguins said:

This is the perfect picture. Every cabin on every Celebrity ship we have sailed  has had this arrangement/number. If you work on this and take the adaptors you need for your gadgets you will be fine. Even after the "revolution"none of the standard balcony cabins on S class have USB ports.

Thanks for that, penguins.  I was clearly not remembering what was 'recessed'.  I see now that it's only the 'Euro' plug that is recessed, so the orange 3-way adapter I was considering really would solve the problem, providing the wall warts all fit the right way.

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Thanks for that, penguins.  I was clearly not remembering what was 'recessed'.  I see now that it's only the 'Euro' plug that is recessed, so the orange 3-way adapter I was considering really would solve the problem, providing the wall warts all fit the right way.

Ah, now I can see that hskrcrsr posted that same pic.  Was trying to work this thread on a phone yesterday, and the wall pic didn't originally show up.  Thanks to both of you.

• Like 1

The cost guard link posted above and some subsequent searches opens up a rabbit hole of delta vs wye grounding of which I have I have thus far been happily ignorant.  Started pondering how ground faults work on those circuits but decided I didn't have time for that read.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/TVNCOE/Documents/SafetyAlerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf?ver=2017-08-11-142750-690

As far as being on-topic, it just occurred to me that I have never brought a euro power adapter with my on a ship in order to gain more outlets.  I'll have to set some aside. 

12 hours ago, canderson said:

@markeb

Though it seems headed that way at times, not everything runs/charges off 5VDC.  Sometimes more AC outlets is the only answer.

An outlet strip that only places some TVS diodes between the three legs (takes care of both common mode and differential mode spikes) doesn't sacrifice itself.  They're passive unless the voltage between legs really does get out of hand, and are expected to survive.  Gotta wonder what was inside the ones that were referenced in that document I linked to.  It seemed to talk about opening only one side of the circuit ('hot' and not 'neutral').  As I say, that still sounds like a single pole circuit breaker (not what we'd normally call 'surge suppression'), and if that's a problem, it's how almost all of these strips are designed, so almost all would indeed be a problem.

IIRC, the outlets are recessed, so this (below) won't work from a mechanical standpoint.

Adapter.jpg.e21467fcadf87b371c756a94215f9741.jpg

Is it true that upon request, a very basic outlet strip that would be acceptable (basically, two bus bars and some sockets) can be made available to passengers?

I use those and have never had a problem.   

For power strips they find them by the shape of the strip itself and trying to negotiate with  a security person as to where there is a surge protector or not is probably not going to be successful.    I always request an Extension Cord and often a power strip,    It is sitting in my room upon arrival.

I'm sure other will google and argue and say they successfully smuggled one on board but why bother.

• Like 1

Jim and HskrCrsr ... thanks for reassurance on availability and great link.  Turns out the best 'rabbit hole' came from HskrCrsr's link, which linked to the real details in an old (2015!) HAL thread! 

I was only looking at it from the perspective of pax equipment failure, which didn't make sense, and it turns out that's not the issue.  It requires a failure in the ship's electrical system, which in turn turns the pax equipment into a hazard.  Fascinating reading if you have an old professional bent toward fault tolerance and multi-point failure analysis.

Sorry, mom said, but this wasn't yet an issue for X when we cruised in 2014, and a 2015 HAL thread for technical details was, as I'm sure youll understand now, a bit of an ask.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

BTW, if anyone else is interested in a definitive technical explanation, there is one here if you dig deep enough...

The cliffs notes are:
Smoke makes everything work.  If you use a power strip with a surge protector, the smoke might come out a LOT, making a bunch of stuff not work. Maybe even the ship. 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Jim and HskrCrsr ... thanks for reassurance on availability and great link.  Turns out the best 'rabbit hole' came from HskrCrsr's link, which linked to the real details in an old (2015!) HAL thread! 

I was only looking at it from the perspective of pax equipment failure, which didn't make sense, and it turns out that's not the issue.  It requires a failure in the ship's electrical system, which in turn turns the pax equipment into a hazard.  Fascinating reading if you have an old professional bent toward fault tolerance and multi-point failure analysis.

Sorry, mom said, but this wasn't yet an issue for X when we cruised in 2014, and a 2015 HAL thread for technical details was, as I'm sure youll understand now, a bit of an ask.

Another interesting trivia is that the ship does not have a standard 50 0r 60 cyles.   I found this out by bringing an LED alarm clock so i could see the time if I awoke during the evening.    The clock could be anywhere from 5-20 minutes of each day and i would have to manually adjust.