PCR test for a child

CaribNomad

We're booked on the 12 night N124. The adults are vaccinated but our 4 year old will not be. I understand that he is required to have a negative PCR test within 3 days of our embarkation date. However, I am unclear about whether this is in addition to the prior-to-boarding test that we will all take as part of P&Os procedures at the port. Does anyone know? Do we need to book a test at home before going to the port? 

Thanks

Hello we are on the October half term cruise on Iona. There will be an additional PCR test 2 or 3 days before the cruise for anyone unvaccinated as well as the one at the port on the day for departure.

Hopefully we will hear more info soon with regards this and any tests needed when we arrive back in the UK. 

8 hours ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

Hello we are on the October half term cruise on Iona. There will be an additional PCR test 2 or 3 days before the cruise for anyone unvaccinated as well as the one at the port on the day for departure.

Hopefully we will hear more info soon with regards this and any tests needed when we arrive back in the UK. 

Hi guys… are you able to point me in the right direction to the information with regard to unvaccinated children being able to sale with P&O please. 
Hopefully sailing on the Iona in Feb/March 2022 with two 9 year olds but the last info I had was that the likelihood of them travelling unvaccinated was highly unlikely 🤷‍♂️
Thanks. 

Edited by devonuk
Grammar

This is from their website. 

The vaccination and testing policy for all cruises departing from 25 September to 31 December 2021 requires all guests 18 years old and over to have completed their vaccination course a minimum of 14 days prior to sailing. All guests 17 years old and below will need to have completed their vaccination course a minimum of 14 days prior to sailing or will require a negative PCR test within 72 hours prior to travel. These cruises are now for UK resident guests only. All guests will also require a negative COVID-19 test at the terminal; the cost of both the COVID-19 test at the terminal and the PCR test will be complimentary.

If you click on the top of their page where it says health protocols, followed by our assurance to you it should bring up the info you need. 

Hopefully by the time you travel things may have eased 🤞

5 minutes ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

The vaccination and testing policy for all cruises departing from 25 September to 31 December 2021 requires all guests 18 years old and over to have completed their vaccination course a minimum of 14 days prior to sailing. All guests 17 years old and below will need to have completed their vaccination course a minimum of 14 days prior to sailing or will require a negative PCR test within 72 hours prior to travel. These cruises are now for UK resident guests only. All guests will also require a negative COVID-19 test at the terminal; the cost of both the COVID-19 test at the terminal and the PCR test will be complimentary.

If you click on the top of their page where it says health protocols, followed by our assurance to you it should bring up the info you need. 

Thank you so much, that ‘or’ in the text puts my mind at rest 👍

9 minutes ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

Unfortunately it does not give the same info for disembarkation back at the home port, and the necessary tests that returning passengers will need to re-enter the UK, nor whether cruise ship passengers will need a 2 day test after return. Plus there is nothing concerning the reqts for passengers to go ashore in any of the ports visited, and as most countries seem to require a negative PCR test to enter most EU  countries, the lack of any info relating to this is very concerning.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Unfortunately it does not give the same info for disembarkation back at the home port, and the necessary tests that returning passengers will need to re-enter the UK, nor whether cruise ship passengers will need a 2 day test after return. Plus there is nothing concerning the reqts for passengers to go ashore in any of the ports visited, and as most countries seem to require a negative PCR test to enter most EU  countries, the lack of any info relating to this is very concerning.

You're right . They should be letting us know now. Some people are sailing very soon . 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rumbalizw said:

You're right . They should be letting us know now. Some people are sailing very soon . 

The problem  is, that P&O don't know. Governments change policies on a weekly basis, so how can any cruise line tell you what the situation will be on your cruise?

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The problem  is, that P&O don't know. Governments change policies on a weekly basis, so how can any cruise line tell you what the situation will be on your cruise?

The first ones will sail on Sept 25th, so they do need to be advising passengers on all these issues PDQ. I realise that it is likely to be fluid for some time, but I think passengers will need at least 2 weeks notice of what they need to arrange for their return, as well as what they will require to enable them to go ashore.

• Like 2

I have a friend who has travelled to Amber list countries a few times over the last couple of months. Going out she had a video call with a nurse who watched her do the PCR test to make sure she was doing it correct and to check the result was negative. On her return the test was sent through the post and was exactly like the normal PCR tests (except the cost) which she did at home and sent off without having to isolate. Hopefully this will be as simple with P&O but I somehow doubt it 😂

Our cruise is just to Hamburg, Rotterdam and Bruges. We have already purchased the excursions but in all honesty we can float around the iow for a week as long as I’m on the ship.

Another thing I read which I’m not sure if 100% true is that all over 6 year olds have to wear a mask onboard including in the kids clubs. My 2 are older and are very much used to wearing a mask for long periods but it wouldn’t be as easy if they were that age.

On a popular site, a few people with children travelling on the first cruise out of the UK ,have naturally been contacting P&O , for some info,on the pre cruise PCR testing . They've been given conflicting information,ranging from ,don't know ,complimentary we will post it to you , and you have to arrange this yourself . What a shambles . Personally doesn't affect me ,but I do feel for those it does . Obviously,the coming home part does , in October, but that's something that can change with government advice changing . Whereas the pre cruise PCR,is here for a while yet .

Edited by rumbalizw
Typo

57 minutes ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

Going out she had a video call with a nurse who watched her do the PCR test to make sure she was doing it correct and to check the result was negative.

You do not have to take a test before visiting most Amber list countries,  assuming you are double vaccinated. I think you mean the test that you have to take before returning to the UK. 

They visited Gran Canaria at the start of the summer which I thought was an Amber? Both of them and the kids all took a test before visiting. I’ll have to find out whether the adults automatically did it because the kids were required as not vaccinated. I thought this happened when they visited Malaga too. 

It is a complete shambles. With getting the kids tested 3 days before you would think that would be quite simple. 

3 minutes ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

They visited Gran Canaria at the start of the summer which I thought was an Amber? Both of them and the kids all took a test before visiting. I’ll have to find out whether the adults automatically did it because the kids were required as not vaccinated. I thought this happened when they visited Malaga too. 

It is a complete shambles. With getting the kids tested 3 days before you would think that would be quite simple. 

The current rules for Spain are that children under 12 do not need to be vaccinated or tested. Everyone else either has to be double vaccinated or tested.

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The current rules for Spain are that children under 12 do not need to be vaccinated or tested. Everyone else either has to be double vaccinated or tested.

Where did you find this info? I have just been looking at re open EU and it's just as complex and confusing as our govt website, and does not seem to provide any entry into EU travel info.

Edited by terrierjohn