Do you need a Birth Certificate to travel from Los Angeles to Mexico on the 4d Riviera?

KyloRen

On 9/3/2021 at 11:17 AM, sanger727 said:

https://www.carnival.com/help?topicid=3409

For cruises that begin and end in a U.S port, the following WHTI-Compliant Documents are acceptable for cruise travel. These standard forms of documentation will enable the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler. If a picture I.D. is not affixed to the WHTI-compliant document, a picture I.D. is required (a valid, unexpired government-issued photo I.D. for all guests 16 years of age or older). If the cruise includes air travel to or from Canada, a valid, unexpired U.S. passport is required.

• U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • State Enhanced Driver's License
  • Certificate of U.S. Naturalization
  • Native American Indians

For cruises that visit Martinique, guests going ashore are required to carry a valid, unexpired passport. .  

Also acceptable for cruise travel (for cruises that begin and end in a U.S port), U.S. citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate  issued by a government agency and accompanied by government-issued photo identification. If the cruise includes air travel to or from Canada, a valid, unexpired U.S. passport is required. Guests who have committed or been convicted of a crime may not be allowed into Canada - for more information, click here.

I always thought if you didn't have a passport, you would need a birth certificate and DL.  But reading this I think a State Enhanced DL is all that is needed.  Did I read this correctly?

1 hour ago, rs45thompson said:

I always thought if you didn't have a passport, you would need a birth certificate and DL.  But reading this I think a State Enhanced DL is all that is needed.  Did I read this correctly?

this is correct. You can travel with an enhanced DL only. But don’t confuse an enhanced DL with real ID. Only a few states offer enhanced DL and its more expensive than a normal driver’s license. Most people do not have enhanced DLs, they have real ID. A real ID is not sufficient without a birth certificate.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

this is correct. You can travel with an enhanced DL only. But don’t confuse an enhanced DL with real ID. Only a few states offer enhanced DL and its more expensive than a normal driver’s license. Most people do not have enhanced DLs, they have real ID. A real ID is not sufficient without a birth certificate.

Thank you, you were correct  I was thinking real Id even though I was reading enhanced.

22 hours ago, snowballs mom said:

That's funny - I had to order mine from Harrisburg for the same reason. I had been carrying around the one Miseracordia Hospital gave my parents for decades - never realized it wasn't official until I needed a passport😂

That is what confuses people.  The certificate from the hospital

is kept as a souvenir is not a govt issued birth certificate.  The hospital one is submitted to obtained a BC

6 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

is kept as a souvenir is not a govt issued birth certificate.  The hospital one is submitted to obtained a BC

Yep. And in olden times the hospital ones were accepted for most purposes. I had no need for the government issued one until I applied for my first passport when I was in my forties. Before that I had only been to Canada, and all I needed for that was my driver's license.

9 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I believe in most jurisdictions a form is submitted by the hospital containing a lot of demographic data. 

The birth certificate does not have to have a raised seal, but it does need to be issued by a Govt agency.  I had sent my passport in for renewal and realized that my bc was an old original photocopy.  While it was issued by the NYC Dept of Health, it look like the first ever photocopy.

I ordered the new one online and received it in plenty of time.  No raised seal, but other approved security markings. Carnival had no problem with my new bc.

My passport arrived by USPS Priority express 4 hours after we departed for our flight.  I did pay for expedited service and it took 26 days total to process, door to door.  

Edited by nslatin