Suggestion for Sticky Threads

fridayeyes

I've been pondering this whole mess vis a vis frequent, sometimes innocent, questions causing heated threads, and here's an idea. Why don't we request two or three "Sticky" threads to be placed at the top of the Forum. They could have such titles as:

HAL Dress Code Policies

HAL Liquor Policies

HAL carry-On Item Restrictions (not sure how to word this one - I'm thinking irons and candles, but could also include weapons and such)

The initial text explaining the HAL policies should be very neutrally worded, and ideally include the relevant section of text from HAL's documentation. As with Roll Calls listed in the wrong place, poster who start new threads on these two issues could be politely asked to repost their questions to the appropriate Sticky. As a moderator on other boards, this policy works well for keeping high-traffic issues from clogging up the rest of the message board. Also as a moderator on other borads, trolls have much more fun with open threads and frequently leave the stickies alone. Newbies can still ask questions, and people who want to can still answer. Those who prefer to avoid such threads altogether will probably find them easier to avoid since the posts won't be dangling all over the place like they are now. There will be less opportunity for hit and runs, and less opportunity for overall escalation from either side of the fence. If you tour some of the boards for the other lines, they have custom stickies for things such as Canadian vs US pricing, and general shipboard FAQs.

What does everyone think?

Cheers,

Friday

Tried to answer before, but my machine went down.

The idea is good, but getting people to read the stickys is another matter.

There are several on the Princess board, including one that answers almost any question one might have - but still there are dress code threads, flight times, etc ad naseum.

Some people perhaps are too lazy to do any homework, or, in some cases, like to stir things up and bait others.

I think it is a good idea also. It won't solve everything but you have to start somewhere. It might cut down on some of the battles and debates.

I agree with Duke about getting people to read them. Not everyone looks at them.

Sometimes I think some people post these topics just to see what kind of a reaction they can get. Even with a Sticky, I fear these posts would still go up.

I think the only way to handle them is to just not bite at the bait.

Dick

I have another suggestion.

How about one for hurricane/tropical storm information?

That way, the sticky can have the link to the NOAA or the hurricane center, which will provide the most up-to-date information, including current maps, on anything brewing in the Atlantic or Caribbean or Gulf.

It would eliminate the clutter that comes from multiple threads [when there are several storms]. And also it would eliminate long threads full of old information one has to sort through to get to the latest report.

If we were to make stickies for the oft-repeated or hot-button issues, which do you think is better:

HAL Dress Code Policies / HAL Liquor Policies, etc

or

Dress Code Questions / Liquor Questions, etc

The idea is to make an easily visible and accessible place for the most common questions. Stickies are more visible and more intuitive than Search functions, and less complicated for inexperienced computer users. Yes, people may still post their questions down below, either accidentally or to get a rise out of people, but either way the best response is still:

"Hi, Poster. Please post your question in the Dress Code Sticky at the top of the Forum. Having all of the information centralized there helps keep the information accessible and the boards easy to read."

If the person has an honest Q, they'll re-post. If the person is spoiling for a fight they may not take the time, and even if they do, the fight will be better contained.

Cheers,

Friday

I have another suggestion.

How about one for hurricane/tropical storm information?

That way, the sticky can have the link to the NOAA or the hurricane center, which will provide the most up-to-date information, including current maps, on anything brewing in the Atlantic or Caribbean or Gulf.

It would eliminate the clutter that comes from multiple threads [when there are several storms]. And also it would eliminate long threads full of old information one has to sort through to get to the latest report.

Seeing as HAL will not have any ships in the Caribbean from mid-April through mid-October, I wonder if Hurricane links are relevant to cruising HAL.

I see it as valuable in that we can keep the fights down by responding simply - see the sticky - that is everyone would.

Absolutely agree. I don't think its the questions that are the problems. In fact I don't see it as people wanting to stir the pot because I truly am naiive enough to believe most people just want to come in and have a simple question answered. I still have tons of questions myself so am always glad to see an answer in another thread. It's usually the responses that cause a lot of the problems more than the original question. So I think keeping it down to simple responses and then moving on would be a much better solution.

We are always going to be bombarded with newbies as they are introduced to cruising on a continuous basis. The stickies might be a good thing if we have ones for the most common oft-asked questions such as dress policies, items allowed or not allowed on board, children, behaviour, etc,etc,etc. Then they are there for the newbies to see. If someone posts a question that is already answered we just say "Please have a look at the stickie on the subject. Ask if you have something that isn't answered". That would cut traffic tremendously and avoid multiple threads or threads posted with no other purpose than to respond to a specific thread.

Unfortunately........any system really only works if everyone plays by the rules and we all know how the pot stirrers and "got to have the last word in" types keep it going. We also know that the stickies tend to get ignored by some. So the world is not perfect. But it may be worth a try to go this direction.

:)

Archived