Places to do a "flowing dress" photoshoot, where to rent the dress/hire a photographer

Blaze9131

Hey ya'll

I recently got engaged, and my fiance has always wanted to do a flowing dress photoshoot in Greece. We're doing a greece cruise on the NCL Jade later this month. I'm looking for places where I can rent a photographer and a flowing dress at one of the stops we have: 

• Heraklion, Crete
  • Rhodes
  • Mykonos
  • Olympia,
  • Corfu
  • Santorini

All stops will be early morning (7 to 10AM) aside from Santorini which will be 12pm. Anyone done this before, or have any suggestions? There are lots of pics online, and a place or two that rents, but no further info than that.

Thanks!

On 9/7/2021 at 5:21 PM, Blaze9131 said:

Hey ya'll

I recently got engaged, and my fiance has always wanted to do a flowing dress photoshoot in Greece. We're doing a greece cruise on the NCL Jade later this month. I'm looking for places where I can rent a photographer and a flowing dress at one of the stops we have: 

• Heraklion, Crete
  • Rhodes
  • Mykonos
  • Olympia,
  • Corfu
  • Santorini

All stops will be early morning (7 to 10AM) aside from Santorini which will be 12pm. Anyone done this before, or have any suggestions? There are lots of pics online, and a place or two that rents, but no further info than that.

Thanks!

Congratulations on your engagement!!

Here's what I would do, and I help out with a NYC nonprofit that produces lens-based work all over the US and internationally (boss who emigrated from Greece, I know he's got a soft spot for Crete!), I would look on Instagram using the hashtags #greece #weddings #photographer (or any combination of those hashtags, or add your own #engagement #portraits (to further refine your search) maybe add the places you are porting so you have someone based where you'll be stopping, etc) and start gazing through the posts that pop up. There may be many, but it might not take long to find what you're looking for. 

I just did a search with: greece wedding photography and WOW! There are so many incredible images with gorgeous backdrops and yes, some flowing dresses. 🙂 

Once you find someone with photography you like, you can message them on Instagram and start a conversation to tell them what you're interested in. They may know someone who would be able to style the shoot for you (bring a few outfit choices, accessories, arrange hair/makeup) or make recommendations for where to get a dress. They'd be able to propose locations locally that you can look at on Google maps, Google Earth to see if they would meet your requirements, if what you see in their gallery doesn't quite match the idea you have in mind. My point is, look for the quality of the image more than "oh, this isn't the location I'm thinking of" because if they are local, they'll have plenty of places in mind to suggest. 

It might be nice to consider getting the dress there because it would be something you can bring home and use again. 

If you're paying for a photo package, negotiate the price up front, probably best to do it in dollars so you know about what you'll be paying, and ask to include the raw images along with the edited images (final, finished images) and then I'd ask for the raw image files right after the shoot, because the photographer will want to be paid once the work is done. In the unlikely event that you didn't receive the images (say the files were damaged, the backup drive too) you already have a set of the images. They may do this anyway, but ask just in case. 

You should be able to pay on the spot, in person, via PayPal (or cash I suppose) once you have the files. A transaction is immediate and easy (and they will process a payment in euro) so you'll have your raw images, and they'll have the money. Exchange rates are quite good, fees are same or better than the major banks.

I might choose Crete because not only does it have options for everything (coves, caves, beach, monasteries, mountains, ruins and this little white churchhttps://www.google.com/maps/place/Agios+Nikolaos+Chapel/@35.3657933,24.2636465,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipObHLV3m0UUdixopGp1Vj-dvwydumvyh6xAD38O!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipObHLV3m0UUdixopGp1Vj-dvwydumvyh6xAD38O%3Dw129-h86-k-no!7i6000!8i4000!4m22!1m16!4m15!1m6!1m2!1s0x149a586bd068e13f:0x400bd2ce2b9b6f0!2sHeraklion,+Greece!2m2!1d25.1442126!2d35.3387352!1m6!1m2!1s0x149c7dbee0cf3f3b:0x94b3557d79cd2ca8!2sChania,+Greece!2m2!1d24.0180367!2d35.5138298!3e0!3m4!1s0x149b79679b217aab:0x689ad4953942d29f!8m2!3d35.3657933!4d24.2636465#) and also because it's the first stop, and the shoot would be done. Personally, I'd be anxious about missing a port etc etc. thinking about everything yet to happen. I'd be glad knowing it was all set and the rest of the cruise was chill time. The other less risky option is to do Athens because you know you're absolutely going to be in Athens. 

Contact a few people, see what they say, let us know how the search goes! Good luck.

I would just say what we saw. In Mykonos, there were a few Instas (more bikini on the beach than flowing dresses from what we saw), but there were tons in flowing dresses Santorini, especially Oia. Certain pics I couldn’t get one without them in the background. If you look on Google Maps, it has photo spots in certain places (like Oia), but I bet the locals know. And I’ll say both Mykonos and Oia make a pretty backdrop, but most places we went did (we did same itinerary as you will). 

9 hours ago, jas283a said:

I would just say what we saw. In Mykonos, there were a few Instas (more bikini on the beach than flowing dresses from what we saw), but there were tons in flowing dresses Santorini, especially Oia. Certain pics I couldn’t get one without them in the background. If you look on Google Maps, it has photo spots in certain places (like Oia), but I bet the locals know. And I’ll say both Mykonos and Oia make a pretty backdrop, but most places we went did (we did same itinerary as you will). 

We were just on Santorini about 3 weeks ago and came upon one of those flowing dress photographers as he was doing a session in Oia.  Hard to beat that backdrop for a photo shoot.  When we walked passed the nearby studio (on one of the many small streets of Oia) we noticed that many of the pictures had the same or similar dresses which caused DW to remark that they probably provide dresses for their photo shoots.   We do not recall the name of the photographer but you can probably find out via Google (or a better search engine such as duck duck go).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

You can book flowing dress shoots and they sell the dresses in bold colors. Again, I'll say take a good look at the images you see on the website. I am seeing many with creases that are visible in the long flowing train of the dress, since it was taken from a folded package and put on.

Perhaps some are able to steam it and others are able to photoshop the creases right out of the dress. It may not always be practical to steam the dress! The dresses, there are a few variations on the dress flowy-ness and colors (some have a cloud dress which has lots of tulle and does sort of look like puffs of clouds, again with the right re-touching, would really look fluffy) and prices though it's fairly consistent. And so there it also is, it's fairly consistent. 

You can book one that is similar to what most people get, the flowy dress photoshoot package or, you can select an individual photographer and your own dress, pick the island with an assist on the location from the photographer, for a truly one of a kind, unforgettable shoot. If you do bring your own dress, to keep it as wrinkle-free as possible, lay it flat with dry cleaner plastic on top and bottom, and roll it to pack in your luggage.

You might even be able to get a dress that has a long flowy piece that is detachable (hooks, buttons, or velcro) so that once the shoot is done, you may take off the flowy part, keep the dress on and go for lunch or dinner, then use again at home, with special memories attached for some time. 

One of my favorite things to bring home (or purchase for) from trips are things that I know will endure and/or I can reuse. Might not be forever, but being able to use for awhile means probably not just photos from the travels, but many more so that adds dimension to something that might otherwise just be that thing. 

That said, you can definitely book a package an avoid any need to bring anything but yourselves and simply appear at the agreed upon place at the agreed upon time. Google or Duck Duck away for options. 

Viator is only a tour aggregator, they do not sell tours, it's where tour sellers list their tours for sale. If you want to work directly with someone who provides the actual service, you'd want to work around Viator. It's not a diss to Viator, just explaining how they operate and so you know what to expect. And it's always good to vet a tour operator before paying for any package; read reviews, or come back here to ask questions, and again, read reviews on their Instagram or Facebook page, or, take note of a lack of reviews. Sometimes no words tell you all you need to know. 

We hope you'll find the right photographer, dress, and location for your shoot. Keep us posted 🙂 

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, such awesome advice!   Just my opinions, but: 

Agree that Oia is a beautiful, though crowded, place to do this kind of photography - or any kind of photography, for that matter!  But you may want to just see as much of it as you can without having to do a photo shoot - such a wonderful place!  Then again, if you'll be there around sunset, that might provide something a little special IF conditions are right!   

I haven't been to Crete, but have researched it a bit since we'll be there on a cruise in May.  This is a long shot, but if your fiance likes lighthouses, there's a really interesting one in Chania, which is less than an hour's drive from Heraklion.  And being on the end of a long pier, there's sure to be a breeze -- maybe what you want or maybe not! And you can go right up to (though not in) the lighthouse.  Or you could perhaps take pictures of the Chania harbor instead of the lighthouse.  It looks pretty with its old, somewhat colorful buildings.  The Heraklion harbor does too. 

Mykonos is a pretty place, too.  Rhodes is interesting and fun, but doesn't really strike me as a place I would use for photography, just old buildings.  And it's pretty crowded, though this time of year probably less so than in summer, and manageable now with many people still not traveling.  

I've seen lots of people photographed in yellow dresses, or red.  But honestly, I'd want something that looks fairly natural and not too, too obviously staged.  Just my opinion, though!  Enjoy, and congratulations!

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

On 9/7/2021 at 5:21 PM, Blaze9131 said:

Hey ya'll

• Heraklion, Crete
  • Rhodes
  • Mykonos
  • Olympia,
  • Corfu
  • Santorini

Thanks!

Here are three options in Oia:

https://www.photo-santorini.com/flying-dress-photoshoot-couples-santorini

https://www.galanopoulos.net/

https://www.nikolaancevski.com/santorini

Good luck.