Muse 9/9 Last Alaska Cruise

PM1225

23 hours ago, PM1225 said:

The parent and similar corporations have many mega ships laid up, with crews likely in the 80 to 120 person range.  This burns through cash and evidentially the music will stop and someone will be left without a chair.

I have appreciated reading your reviews and thoughts.  

Carnival Corporation will have a 3rd quarter Conference Call with financial analysts on September 24th.  I am looking forward to learning what they say.  

It does seem to me maybe the not best business decision to pay to take a ship such as Silver Muse out of layup and then put the ship back into layup with all of the associated costs.  But, then, maybe the thinking is, given the entire financial condition of the company is,  "some revenue is better than none"?  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

It does seem to me maybe the not best business decision to pay to take a ship such as Silver Muse out of layup and then put the ship back into layup with all of the associated costs.

In hindsight, that's probably correct, but at the time they decided to bring the ship back into service, I'm sure this was not what they expected. Things with Covid were getting better prior to the surge of Delta. there were many signs of pent up demand to travel and to cruise. I'm sure they expected to have more passengers in the abbreviated Alaska season, and then to continue the ship's planned route to Japan and Asia. that's the problem: the cruise lines need to make decisions well in advance to both sell the staterooms and do all the logistics (from port contracts to getting the staff to fully strength to shipping provisions to the home port), and things around the world are often changing after those decisions have been made.

• Like 2