Muse 9/9 Last Alaska Cruise

PM1225

23 hours ago, Fort_Worth said:

Ship is beautiful. Our closet comparison point is the Seabourn Quest and there is no comparison. 

Very interesting. They both have plusses and minuses. I have to say I prefer the Quest. The main reason,  I could not get used to the extremely low ceilings everywhere except Dolce Vita. Silversea are really packing them in.  I felt like I was living in a cave or closet, especially the indoor restaurants, excluding La Terraza.  The Panorama Loung was quite lovely. Although were were in 801 with a front balcony I missed the public outdoor space on Quest at the front of the ship, especially the Observation lounge and the front hot tub area on 6. For example, when we approached a pod of whales (which was often) there was no ability to pop outside and watch them as we passed unless we ran to our suite or the back of the ship.  Oh the horrors. The Bartenders on Muse, especially Selva at Tor were world class and there was an excellent bar in every venue.  A big plus. The hoops you have to jump through to get a cocktail on Quest in restaurants can be a challenge. We often get one to go before heading for dinner.  The food on Muse,  well....... while good, not particularly memorable. Soup in Indochine was delicious, everything else... I prefer Trader Joes. Their garlic nann was really rubbery roti. But agree with others, when we asked the chef for something special he really delivered.   La Dame was quite good. Hot rocks not my thing, prefer Earth and Ocean. I liked the pizza on Muse once we were able to get the crust crispy and customized. The Restaurant & La Terazza; I can't remember a single meal to even comment. La Terazza sushi at lunch was a plus as was the seafood lunch. I missed having an indoor casual restaurant like The Colonnade.  After spending the day kayaking or hiking,  dressing up is not always that enticing. I missed the Thomas Keller influence,  casual food like Ribs, Fried Chicken and  Lobster/Seafood night.  I suggested replacing Indochine or La Terazza with a Food Truck concept or rotating ethnic nights. The Nouvelle cusine of The Restaurant on both ships featured so prominently in the 80s is nice once in a while, but every night? If they want to entice a younger demographic,  (by younger I mean 60's😃) and  keep up with the times, time for a change.

Going forward it will be interesting to see how Seabourn changes Quest. I loved their hybrid version of an expedition ship. The Wind seems like it will come closest. Stay tuned.

We are so fortunate to travel on these ships, especially in these times I hope no one is offended by these critiques.  I have always respected, relied on, and bennefited from the frequent posters on CC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

If they want to entice a younger demographic,  (by younger I mean 60's😃) and  keep up with the times, time for a change.

We are so fortunate to travel on these ships, especially in these times I hope no one is offended by these critiques.  I have always respected, relied on, and bennefited from the frequent posters on CC.

Surely no one will take any offense when none was delivered.

Silver Queen and I just must be old souls.  We were a mere 42 years old on our first SS cruise and have enjoyed the line every voyage through our 53rd year.  Like you, we feel very fortunate to sail on SS.  It seems the line continues to keep up with the times and make changes (Arts Cafe, S.A.L.T., Included Excursions, etc.) and yet, keep traditions in place (attire, Connoisseur Corner, small ships, etc.) that appeal to many loyal passengers.

On 9/11/2021 at 8:38 PM, PM1225 said:

Interesting question, I had the lobster and Nina had the Sea Bass.  Interesting because SS publishes the menus in advance and you are able to do research as to what or where you would like to eat.  Atlantide advertised that the lobster came fro Honduras, not Maine while several of the other restaurants had Maine Lobster.  Still I had it and it was good, though I should have asked for some extra butter.

Thanks for your response.  Are the ship's store rooms large enough to store Lobsters from two different areas?  That seems a bit odd to me.  Were the menu descriptions being truthful?  

On 9/12/2021 at 2:19 PM, Fort_Worth said:

We were at Indochine last night for the first time. Can’t fathom the connection between an Asian-themed restaurant and an entree of Osso Buco

What menus from Indochine that I have seen seem more eclectic than just Asian themed.  I enjoy Asian food (with some exceptions:  no Congee, please).  

On 9/12/2021 at 8:58 AM, CJANDH said:

the chef even prepared us an Indian family feast with a 24 hour advance order.

I wonder what the nationality of the Chefs are.  I have found in my recent cruises that more Indian chefs are staffing the Galleys than once did.  And, they are good cooks.  

I ate at Indochine for the very first time last month on The Muse.......I had never eaten there on any of my other sailings.  I don't like really spicy food but the group I was dining with all voted to eat there so I figured I could find something.......I was right.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I got a couple of different sweet and sour dishes and a side of rice.  It was all quite good🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More on food .... these cruises are truly for the newly wed, the over fed and the almost dead.  We fit the middle category.

To answer an earlier question I actually prefer Oceania's food.  On the newer Oceania ships there are 4 specialty restaurants in addition to the MDR.  I like 3 of the 4 and have always had good food there.  The pizza just stinks.  I am also a pickey eater.  Meat and potatoes.  Drives Nina mad.

SB is good but there is very little variety.  Regent keeps up with Oceania and Crystal is very good as well.

Interestingly the very best dish I have ever had on a cruise ship is the beef carpachio (surely I spelled this wrong) which is available on Crystal's Prego (Italian specialty).

Last night we couldn't make up our minds on where to eat.  We passed Silver Note and scored a reservation at 8, about an hour after we made the reservation.  We had a drink in the Observation which was partially closed for the 70 travel agents on board.  I do not know if the 70 are just the agents or if that includes their spouses.   On the way out of the lounge my wife met a travel agent from her hometown of Louisville.  Small world, my wife knew about half the agent's clients.  We proceeded to Silver Note and we managed to add the 2 ladies to our table without a lot of hassle.  Another sore for the can-do customer service.

The jazz music and atmosphere in Silver Note were top notch.  The menu is rather limited, but excellent.  I had lobster, 2nd night in a row, but this one was Maine and served in a creamy sauce complimented by the Bourbon that I was enjoying.  The Mrs. had the lamb tenderloin which had an excellent sauce.  We will definitely be back. 

The show last night was one of the cast singers doing rat pack music in the lounge 9 aft.  The guy did a good job of it and it seemed to be better attended than the show in the main theater?  Time change last night also may have kept folks up a bit later.

We have typical SE Alaska weather today in Wrangell.  Cloudy and misting rain. Not much here but still its great to get outside.  I had hoped to try a burger today but am getting push-back about not wanting to be outside.

La Dame tonight, we are looking forward to that and after all we have a big chunk of shipboard credit to eat up .....  but now time for that burger.

Preston

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I wonder what the nationality of the Chefs are.

On Muse right now there is an Indian Chef and, importantly, the Food and Beverage Director is also Indian (called Mr. Oliver by the staff). Real nice guy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PM1225 said:

I had hoped to try a burger today but am getting push-back about not wanting to be outside.

…but now time for that burger.

Looking for your update on that burger.  Hoping that you liked it and it suited your tastes.

For some reason, of all the meals I’ve had on SS, the burger is the absolute worst.  It’s as if it’s not 100% beef, or something.  My first one was from San Francisco to Alaska and I went a decade without having another one, but decided to give it another try on our last voyage in 2020.  Big mistake.  Still horrible.  Absolutely the worst ever.

I’m not sure if Cattle Rancher George would agree with me or not, so hopefully @RachelGwill chime in here with his assessment.

3 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Surely no one will take any offense when none was delivered.

Silver Queen and I just must be old souls.  We were a mere 42 years old on our first SS cruise and have enjoyed the line every voyage through our 53rd year.  Like you, we feel very fortunate to sail on SS.  It seems the line continues to keep up with the times and make changes (Arts Cafe, S.A.L.T., Included Excursions, etc.) and yet, keep traditions in place (attire, Connoisseur Corner, small ships, etc.) that appeal to many loyal passengers.

You are so kind. Just to clarify,  I love Silversea, and have 4 upcoming trips booked on them. They are all on Explorer or Wind. I may be longing for the food diversity on Muse and back peddaling on my critiques before you know it. Your point is well made regarding keeping traditions and making changes. They deliver a great product and especially deserve kudos during  Covid times. Their ability to keep the ships safely  going has been amazing. Like the Silver Queen for you, the Quest will always be my first love.

• Like 1

Interesting, I wrote the above (my previous) post yesterday.  When I signed on today I found that it was still there.  Generally I'm not too bad with technology but I have no excuse.

Today in Sitka it is pouring.  The rain held off to a drizzle for a walk around town this morning, but the fog and rain moved in around noon.  Again, welcome to SE Alaska in September.

Now to answer a few questions.  After a few drinks and a wine or 2 at dinner my palate could not distinguish between warm and cold water lobster.  Its all good and I suspect that there is plenty of storage.

Another question was a good one about the Muse's next destination.  The crew has been given a script for this.  When asked, they will mention a possible charter out of Japan and the fact that they are not sure about that.  Given how locked down Japan was for the Olympics, I doubt that that will happen.  I did get out of one crew member that they thought that they were getting a ride to the Philippines.  This makes sense.  First, we know that there are no revenue cruises planned.  Therefore without money flowing in there has to be good plan to lay-up the ship until needed again.  Second a large part of the crew is from Indonesia or the Philippines.  Plane tickets are not cheap and the ship will not be laying up in Seattle anyway.  Last month on Crystal we learned that it took a crew of about 80 to keep the ship in good condition.  That's a lot of money.  Whatever they do, it is already planned and the plan centers around money.  We can watch on Marine Traffic the time that the Muse spends in Seattle before setting sail for cheaper waters.  This must be a huge topic for the crew and as stated above they have a script and are likely warned (sternly) not to speculate about their future employment around the guests.  They are complying.

The hamburger yesterday was OK.  3 out of 5.  It was rather thick and did not seem to be the best cut of ground beef?  I may have it again but I won't be raving about it.

Dinner last night at La Dame was excellent.  We both had rack of lamb and enjoyed sitting next to a colorful couple.  Service was perfect and we were attend to by the head sommiliar (head wine guy I can't spell that).

We are off at 4 for Skagway.  This will be somewhat of a homecoming for me as I lived there for 2 years in the 90s.  Hopefully we'll get to see a few rays of sunshine?

Venetian society party tonight.  Whoopee, a free drink!  My wife is a past customer so I guess I get to tag along.

I still owe everyone a few interesting pictures ....

Preston

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Looking for your update on that burger.  Hoping that you liked it and it suited your tastes.

For some reason, of all the meals I’ve had on SS, the burger is the absolute worst.  It’s as if it’s not 100% beef, or something.  My first one was from San Francisco to Alaska and I went a decade without having another one, but decided to give it another try on our last voyage in 2020.  Big mistake.  Still horrible.  Absolutely the worst ever.

I’m not sure if Cattle Rancher George would agree with me or not, so hopefully @RachelGwill chime in here with his assessment.

George thinks the burgers on SS are awful.  He even had a talk with the chef once as he was convinced the meat wasn't really beef.  It definitely is not up to our standards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The adventure continues though I was busted.

Monday night we were seated the the very last table, all the way in the rear of Atlantide.  A great couple was seated next to us and we struck up a conversation.  Suddenly, out of the blue, our friend asked if I was the one writing on CC?  Busted, must have been something I said?

Yesterday, was a cold and windy day in Skagway.  It was typical for this time of year.  Skagway has grown over the years and a number of the businesses did not survive. 

A few odds and ends notes.  I'm pleased to see that SS does let the crew out on a limited basis.  Yesterday our butler and a number of other staff got to go on the White Pass excursion.  I'm sure that it was a great break for them as Covid does limit the crew visits ashore.  On Crystal last month, no crew were allowed off the ship.  We met more than a few who had joined the ship in mid April and had not set foot off the ship.  Even with an uncertain future, this crew seems very happy.

Now for a note on the room.  Don't ever get either of the SS suites that are directly under the bar or kitchen on deck nine.  The noise from above can be deafening at times.  In fairness, this is only during the day and never noticed at night.

Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier was this morning.  The rain largely held off and we even saw the sun peak through several times, a rare event on this cruise.  As with all glacier trips the ship crept in as close as possible and the sights were great.

La Dame is proving hard to get into.  The last formal night is completely full - we are on the wait list for tomorrow night.

We'll be in Juneau this evening at 6:30.  Overnight at the dock so it shouldn't be too rough.

🙂

Preston

• Thanks 3

Preston- thanks for sharing your daily experience with all of the us. I was on the Aug 29th sailing  and sorry I didn’t share more, but think you covered just about everything. Glad you are enjoying your cruise. 

thanks for the feedback on the silver Suites  below the pool.  We reserved 2 of those for next year and preferred to be a little lower and more central, but I was wondering about the location . We ended up on the highest floor , so glad you confirmed my concerns about the lower level Silver suites.

continue to enjoy your cruise and safe journey home.

On 9/15/2021 at 5:26 PM, PM1225 said:

The adventure continues though I was busted.

Monday night we were seated the the very last table, all the way in the rear of Atlantide.  A great couple was seated next to us and we struck up a conversation.  Suddenly, out of the blue, our friend asked if I was the one writing on CC?  Busted, must have been something I said?

Yesterday, was a cold and windy day in Skagway.  It was typical for this time of year.  Skagway has grown over the years and a number of the businesses did not survive. 

A few odds and ends notes.  I'm pleased to see that SS does let the crew out on a limited basis.  Yesterday our butler and a number of other staff got to go on the White Pass excursion.  I'm sure that it was a great break for them as Covid does limit the crew visits ashore.  On Crystal last month, no crew were allowed off the ship.  We met more than a few who had joined the ship in mid April and had not set foot off the ship.  Even with an uncertain future, this crew seems very happy.

Now for a note on the room.  Don't ever get either of the SS suites that are directly under the bar or kitchen on deck nine.  The noise from above can be deafening at times.  In fairness, this is only during the day and never noticed at night.

Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier was this morning.  The rain largely held off and we even saw the sun peak through several times, a rare event on this cruise.  As with all glacier trips the ship crept in as close as possible and the sights were great.

La Dame is proving hard to get into.  The last formal night is completely full - we are on the wait list for tomorrow night.

We'll be in Juneau this evening at 6:30.  Overnight at the dock so it shouldn't be too rough.

🙂

Preston

This is about the  Alaska trip . Sea days were you required to wear a mask sitting outside.I know I am in the minority but I hate masks.Understand the reasoning but if we are all vaccinated don't see the need unless in close quarters.

Thanks for your help.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Capri73 said:

This is about the  Alaska trip . Sea days were you required to wear a mask sitting outside.I know I am in the minority but I hate masks.Understand the reasoning but if we are all vaccinated don't see the need unless in close quarters.

Thanks for your help.

I went on the 8/19 Alaska sailing and wearing a mask outside (either sea day or port day) was not necessary---while on board the ship.   Not sure if it changed on this last sailing or not.  

16 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I went on the 8/19 Alaska sailing and wearing a mask outside (either sea day or port day) was not necessary---while on board the ship.   Not sure if it changed on this last sailing or not.  

Thank you.

Masks, these seem to be making a comeback.  Juneau was the worst with threatening signs not to enter unless masked.  As previously stated, there are no mask police on board and you see some passengers without and some wearing N-95s every minute of the day.

The ship has attempted to comply with social distancing, but does not really adhere to it.  Case in point; two nights ago was a lively show.  The shows have all been moved from 10PM to 6:15 (right at my normal shower time).  This show was also moved to the Panorama Lounge on 9 as opposed to the theater.  The management grossly underestimated the attendance, every table in the lounge was occupied and it was standing room only around the perimeter.  We did get a table, we just had to remove the small sign that said that the table was closed due to social distancing.  If I didn't feel safe, I certainly had the option to leave.

Speaking of shows, last night's show was the first with live musical accompaniment.  Again at 6:15 two singers, did an opera show with the ships piano player.  They really did a good job but unlike the previous night, it was not well attended.

Yesterday we were the only ship in Juneau.  Apparently many of the shops and restaurants took the opportunity to give their employees the day off.  Juneau appears to be the most impacted by the loss of ships.  I would estimate that 50% were closed for the day or had completely gone under.  Our mere 250 passengers did not cut it. 

Food, we didn't get into La Dame last night as nobody canceled.  We are on the waiting list for tonight again.  We may have a better chance as the sea is a bit rough today and I suspect that more than a few are ill.  Tonight is formal night.  We are in the lee of Queen Charlotte Island today but we may lose some of the protection tonight.

Preston

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2021 at 5:26 PM, PM1225 said:

Preston

Preston, May I ask, what are the suite numbers you are referring to?

20 hours ago, toseaornottosea said:

Preston, May I ask, what are the suite numbers you are referring to?

932, 933, 934 and 935 are directly under the bar (port side) and galley (starboard side) which are on deck 10.  At times, it sounds like the heard of buffaloes has been turned loose up there.  At lunch the 3 piece group plays there and you can easily hear the music in your room, regardless of whether or not you want to ...

And now we come to the end of the cruise.  It is hard to believe that in just 24 hours this thriving hotel/ship will go dark.  You would never know this as the crew soldiers on with normal service.  At last night's farewell reception the captain did announce that the ship would spend a week in Seattle and head for Manila to drop staff and head for lay-up.  Other, non Filipino staff are announcing travel plans, some as early as Monday.  

Unlike last March, the line has had time to plan for a "hot" lay-up.  The room next door gives some indication as it is empty.  The balcony furniture is inside and the room is prepped.  The largest goal I'm sure is to keep the UV rays off of everything possible.  I do wonder what happens to both the live plants (we think that they will go overboard) and food that the passengers have not consumed.

So this brings me to the question of would I do SS again?  The short answer is likely no.  Why?

I learned long ago that the answer to most questions in life involves money.  On CC we don't publish what we pay.  I will say that I keep track of a stateroom's size and price per square foot.  A second consideration is what extra was received for the value paid.

We paid what I consider a high per square foot rate for a mid-sized room.  For that we got no guest entertainers, no orchestra, and we have to pay for the specialty restaurants. 

Every line has a plus or a minus.  Here the plus is a new ship and great staff.  Its just not enough to overcome the cheaper price of similar accommodations and amenities on other lines listed on my signature line. Some items are truly personal preference such as the addition of a dedicated steak venue as opposed to another Asian restaurant.  These personal preferences should not be used as ammo to downgrade the SS product.

We had a great opportunity to experience SS.  I'm glad we chose to do it and would consider it again for the right time and cruise.

Now if only American Airlines will come through for us tomorrow........ signing off,

Preston

• Thanks 1

Preston thanks for your review and honest critique - they’ve been very helpful for a Silversea newbie

I think cost comparisons for cruise lines are hard to make right now - it’s not normal times and you have some luxury lines discounting very heavily eg Crystal to try and get enough customers while others are trying to cover the inevitable extra costs associated with Covid times. I think if you want to sail these days you’ve just got to be prepared to pay what the markets asking - or stay at home  

We hope to try Silversea for ourselves soon - maybe on her next commercial sailing of Silver Muse in fact if the Australian cruises in Dec 2021 - Feb 2022 come off. Who knows what that experience will be like but it’s my plan to get back to cruising sooner rather than later and it looks like this may be the most practical option for us Aussies

One final note which I felt that I should add....

If you are considering cruising, on any line, you should go.  Everyone is vaccinated and you would be hard pressed to find a safer place.

I press this point because I am of the opinion (no facts other than what I think) that we are going to see a rash of bankruptcies and consolidations in the industry.  These SS Alaska cruises operated well below capacity.  There was expense to deadhead the ship to/from Seattle and to press it into service and take it out again.  Meanwhile they are paying debt on new ships, paying for the old ones to remain mission ready and are about to put more new ships in service.

The parent and similar corporations have many mega ships laid up, with crews likely in the 80 to 120 person range.  This burns through cash and evidentially the music will stop and someone will be left without a chair.

Enjoy it while it is available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1